Thread: Going maple? need some input

User Info Menu

Default Going maple? need some input

Hi folks. So a friend of mine who lives in Manila offered me his 13x5 Gretsch Renown Maple snare to trade with my Chad Smith steel snare 14x5. I love my chad smith snare but I've always wanted to try and explore maple snares. I've no experience of wood snares except the pearl forum stock poplar snare which I don't use anymore. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Any input about the Gretsch snare would help too
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Default Re: Going maple? need some input

Are there any music stores around you? You could go find some 13" maple snares to try out. But I say, if you're perfectly happy with your steel snare, why trade it away for a snare you might not like as much?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Andreeew, I would agree with yohin. If you love your Chad Smith snare, then you need to keep it until you are sure about a maple snare. Everyone's taste is different, so even if I told you about the great sound of a maple snare, you still might prefer your Chad Smith snare once you heard a maple snare.

Look at it this way: you have a snare that you know you love, and your friend wants you to trade for a snare that you might love. I would call that a sucker's bet. Stick with what you love, and check into maple snares when you can. If you find that you like maple snares better, you can do something about it later. Don't forget that you friend is trying to unload his snare. The other thing to keep in mind is whether you will like the sound of a 13X5 snare better than a 14X5.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

is this a trick question?

if i was in your shoes i would never part with my sig snare

User Info Menu

You guys are probably right I should keep my snare. There are no available decent snares in my area that's why I took an interest in his offer to explore more on wooden snares.

I appreciate the input guys gives me confidence in my decision thanks
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

my best advice here is to respectfully decline the trade, but offer to buy it off of him if money allows. it sounds like you are quite attached to the chad smith, and it would be bad to part with it because you think a maple snare would be better. if he refuses, you can always get a renown snare later on while still keeping your chad smith.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hmmm, I agree with the others, don't do it. The Chad Smith looks to be very nice snare and a step up from from entry/intermediate level snares. I bet if you borrowed the Gretsch snare for a few days to try out, it would be obvious that yours is the better choice. Rock on !