Thread: Roland TD-9KX(SX) or DTXtreme III Standard

User Info Menu

Default Roland TD-9KX(SX) or DTXtreme III Special?

Hi: I am looking for a new e-kit and I was wondering about which on eto buy,the TD-9KX or the yammie DTXtreme III Special. The Yammie is more money and has larger pads( rubber) and the Roland has mesh heads.I have read that the Yammie cymbals react more like real ones,as opposed to the Rolands. The brain on the yammie looks larger,but you can't add extra sounds via V-Expressions,I think. Which one would you buy and why! I may be able to go up to the DTXtreme III Special for a bit more cash than the Roland! Thanks,Huck
    Last edited by Huck; 01-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland TD-9KX(SX) or DTXtreme III Standard

Hi Huck,

I've played both before deciding between a number of e-kits and I eventually went for the DTXtreme III. It's worth the extra cash for a number of reasons:

- you can sample your own drum sounds and record them directly to the module
    - expandable memory means that you can load more kits onto the module
    - the cymbals feel much more like real cymbals
    - the power of the module alone is fantastic - it has some serious features.

Whilst we're talking about extra cash, the DTXtreme III has just been superseded by a new model which has new silicone-composite pads (though the rubber pads on the DTXtreme III are pretty much the softest, most responsive rubber pads you get IMO), the already excellent cymbals remain and the module has had a slight cosmetic face-lift, though is functionally pretty much the same module. All this means that the DTXtreme III is now cheaper than ever.

I have the Standard, which is very sturdy and fine for all intents and purposes. The Special takes up more floor space, but that Hexrack is monstrously good .

Phill.

User Info Menu

P.S the sounds on the DTXreme III are far better, IMO.

User Info Menu

Just wonderin if the Roland KD-8 kick pad is compatible with the DTX III module? Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

I would recommend the DTXtreme III std. over the td-9 and the td-12. It is a better kit than the roland kits I mentioned. Some of the features/advantages include:

1) 3 zones (bell, bow, edge) on all cymbals. Roland only have two.
    2) 3 zones on all drum pads. Again roland only have two.
    3) Superior module with better sounds, much more editing capability, better teaching tools, better song loops (for practice).
    4) Better hihat pad (RHH135) than the td-9. The td-12 has the vh-11 which is equal to the RHH135.
    5) The ability to sample your own sounds. None of the roland modules have this capability.
    6) The ability to download and save user kits to USB drive.
    7) Many more inputs on module for future kit expansion (as in number of drums/cymbals - I currently have 9 drums and 5 cymbals on my (1) III module)
    8) OWD (ocean way drums) sampled kits (VST type kits) that can be downloaded and played thru the DTXtreme.

I could go on some more, but I'll stop there......good luck on whatever decision you make.

User Info Menu

Hi: I think the pad sizes are larger on the DTXtreme III ,as opposed to Roland's smaller pads.I think the Roland has 10"snare and 8.5" toms,but these sizes may be larger when moving up to the TD-20, not sure?!What size are the Yammie pads?. I am still undecided,but swaying toward the Yammie DTXtreme III Special,or Standard.Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Hi: I think the pad sizes are larger on the DTXtreme III ,as opposed to Roland's smaller pads.I think the Roland has 10"snare and 8.5" toms,but these sizes may be larger when moving up to the TD-20, not sure?!What size are the Yammie pads?. I am still undecided,but swaying toward the Yammie DTXtreme III Special,or Standard.Thanks,Huck
    The Yamaha DTXIII pads are 10" on toms (3 or 4 ea. depending on std. or SP kit), 12" on snare, 12" on kick....if you can afford the IIISP get it!..IMO...it is the best bang for the buck today in the market...the III compares very well with the td-20...if money is not a problem...you might also want to try out the new DTX900/950..the new pad technology is supposed better than anything currently available and they are the quietest pads I've heard yet..

User Info Menu

Thanks! I will check out the III Special and Standard soon.Thanks,Huck
    Last edited by Huck; 01-15-2010 at 06:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    I would recommend the DTXtreme III std. over the td-9 and the td-12. It is a better kit than the roland kits I mentioned. Some of the features/advantages include:

1) 3 zones (bell, bow, edge) on all cymbals. Roland only have two.
    2) 3 zones on all drum pads. Again roland only have two.
    3) Superior module with better sounds, much more editing capability, better teaching tools, better song loops (for practice).
    4) Better hihat pad (RHH135) than the td-9. The td-12 has the vh-11 which is equal to the RHH135.
    5) The ability to sample your own sounds. None of the roland modules have this capability.
    6) The ability to download and save user kits to USB drive.
    7) Many more inputs on module for future kit expansion (as in number of drums/cymbals - I currently have 9 drums and 5 cymbals on my (1) III module)
    8) OWD (ocean way drums) sampled kits (VST type kits) that can be downloaded and played thru the DTXtreme.

I could go on some more, but I'll stop there......good luck on whatever decision you make.
    I actually wouldn't mind you going on for more. I have been researching the differences between these two kits as well and am very appreciative of your comments as I am leaning towards the Yamaha over the Roland. So besides the extra tom and extra cymbal you get with the Dtxtreme iii special, the standard is probably just as good / the same for about 1000 cheaper? Does the Dtxtreme iii standard go for around 2200 most places right now?

Thanks for help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Thanks! I will check out the III Special and Standard soon.Thanks,Huck
    Hi: I tried the Yamaha DTXtreme III Standard and to be honest,I ddn't care for the feel of the rubber pads,as after playing for 5 minutes,my left wrist started to feel a little weird,kinda numby. The hi-hat stand and pedal felt clunky! This kit no doubt was way out of whack and needed setting up bad,but the feel of the pads will always be there,so based on that,I am not going for the Yammie!! Looking at Roland again! Huck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    I actually wouldn't mind you going on for more. I have been researching the differences between these two kits as well and am very appreciative of your comments as I am leaning towards the Yamaha over the Roland. So besides the extra tom and extra cymbal you get with the Dtxtreme iii special, the standard is probably just as good / the same for about 1000 cheaper? Does the Dtxtreme iii standard go for around 2200 most places right now?

Thanks for help.
    No problem......I think you'll have a hard time finding any more DTXIII std. kits...I believe they are all sold out....however, I like the DTXIIISP better mainly because of the hex rack...it is an awesome piece of gear!...and MUCH better than the std. rack...also you can get the SP for less than $2999 if you shop around...I know of one store selling them for $2799 (maybe less now) and an ebay merchant was selling a demo kit for $2299 (new). I've attached a link to the Sonic Reality Drum Masters DTX Studio Kits 5-Pack ($79.95)...these are VST type sounds that are downloadable to the DTXIII module...really nice sounding kits...once link page opens go down the page until you see "Mp3 demos" and click on them...there are 16 demos there to hear....also there are 5 other free OWD kits you can download that sound real nice too......

http://shop.dtxperience.com/magento/...load-only.html
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 01-20-2010 at 08:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you again for the reply! I was liking the standard edition because it seemed quite a bit cheaper and I thought I may find it for under 2000 if I shopped around, whereas the special is about 3000 most places. I will need to save up on this for a little while so maybe I can find the special come down in price a little. I mean yes, I would love to have the Special but it would mean saving up a bit more for that extra grand. I was unaware that they stopped making the standard edition, or do most places just not carry it?

Ahh the wait is hard because these Yamahas seem so nice. Scorch, can you find any reason that the Roland would be better to buy then the Yamahas? Just to give fairness to both sides. I much prefer the 3 zone pads on the Yamahas which is one of the main selling points for me.

User Info Menu

Actually both kits have been discontinued....there's more IIISP's left over probably because of the higher price point...however like I said earlier...you can probably get a IIISP for less than $2999...both kits have ben replaced by the new DTX900 (std.) and DTX950 (SP)....these kit are considerably more expensive right now ($4399/$5399)...due to the new pad technology (Textured Cellular Silicone (TCS) ) Yamaha has just released and a few other changes in module...the new pad technology is supposed to feel more like an acoustic drum and also they are much quieter than the old rubber pads...