Thread: Need a new ride

User Info Menu

Default Need a new ride

I'm sure this has been asked countless times, but my search was pretty futile, so I'll just ask.

I currently have a 20" Z Custom ride. I'm not a fan. I like the bell sound, but when you ride it... I dunno, I just don't dig the sound.

I have been to Guitar Center, but it didn't really help me make a decision for some reason. Maybe it was the semi-limited selection they had, maybe my mood. Who knows!

I've got a 16" and 18" A Custom crash and 14" A Custom Mastersound hats, so something to go with those.

Styles of music: everything from Aerosmith to Foo Fighters to Rage Against the Machine. I'm not a metal guy, so I won't be playing anything like Slipknot... just some Metallica here and there I play mainly rock music, I guess.

Any ideas ya'll got will be appreciated. Ask questions, give advice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need a new ride

Hey jayshaw. I've got a very similar cymbal set up you have (minus your current ride). I also play similar music as you. I have an A Custom medium ride. It sounds alright but I might change rides as well. Depends what your after really. I reckon the ride I've got has too much crash-ability. If I want that kinda sound I would've gotten a crash/ride. Still nice ride though...

I here the 22" A Custom ping ride is good, and also the 21" sweet ride. Really depends what your taste is eh.

Do you prefer something which cuts through with a crashing edge to it or something with clear stick definition which is easily controlled? Also, how hard you strike your cymbals can also be a factor...

All the best mate. I hope to learn something from this thread to!

User Info Menu

Something that doesn't sound like my Z Custom

Again, the bell I dig. It's pretty cutting. I want some sort of interesting sound when doing stick work, but not that Z Custom sound. There is zero stick articulation. It's just... I don't even know how to describe it!

Regarding how hard I hit, I think I hit my ride just hard enough to get sound out of it. I don't beat it at all, but I'm not a tiny tapper, either.

User Info Menu

Well at least you've made a start be excluding the sounds you don't like I recommend going to a music store and testing out the ideas I gave... and more! Test them all out! Only by doing that will you find the true sound you want.

User Info Menu

And I don't want to make the same mistake I made with the Z. I just bought it on eBay because it was better than my ZBT and I got it for a steal ($95 shipped). My hats became easy once I realized the sound I liked. Sloshy, noisy, crispy. From there I just had to figure out which ones sounded most like that and pull the trigger.

Crashes were easy for me. I wanted something very well rounded and bright. A Crash was an easy, easy call.

The rides, man... I don't really "like" any of them. That's why this is so much harder.

User Info Menu

I have 15, 16, and 17 A Custom Crashes and use a K Custom Hybrid ride. It fits in very nicely, giving a darker sound than the A Custom brightness. You should definitely look at the A Custom Rezo ride. I have sampled a few at stores and think they would work well with your crashes.

User Info Menu

Hey Shane was just gonna suggest the Rezo!

I went to the music store yesterday Jay, and I quite like the Rezo. The 22" A Custom ping ride is not too bad either. The A Custom Rezo is actually a pretty good ping ride... but still has presence... I like

User Info Menu

I suggest going on the Zildjian web site and listen to some sound clips they have listed and then go to your local store once you have some you like narrowed down and listen to them in person before making your final decision.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

jayshaw, if you like the A Customs, you might also want to check out the Sabian AAX Studio, and Stage rides, because they blend very well with the A Customs. The Studio Ride has a little more wash than the Stage Ride. I have the 20" AAX Studio Ride, and I think the bell is good - not outstanding, but good. If you are looking for more well defined sticking, I would think about the Stage Ride. You can check out sound bytes for comparison on the Sabian site.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i think i know what your looking for. I use a 21 inch AA (sabian) rrock ride. its got good articulation. great bell, and has a little bit of wash to it, that give it a full bodied sound.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I suggest going on the Zildjian web site and listen to some sound clips they have listed and then go to your local store once you have some you like narrowed down and listen to them in person before making your final decision.
    DING, DING! We have a winner. This is always a good idea.

User Info Menu

I would agree with everything that's been said so far. Definitely check out sound samples online, then go see if you can find those rides at a music store. A Custom Ping ride, AA Rock Ride, A Custom Rezo ride....all good places to start. I have the 21" AA Rock Ride myself, and I love it's sound. It's got a great ping and a powerful bell without being too clunky or annoying like Z Customs tend to be.

You said you don't really "like" any rides you've heard. If that's true, and you're willing to put down some extra money, you can actually work with Sabian and they'll make you a ride from scratch that fits the sound you're looking for.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I use a Avedis natural medium and use a little weather stripping underneath to increase stick definition and cut wash. Take some with you next time and try it it peels off easy so there souldn't be a problem.