Thread: New review on an old cymbal (1984 20" Zildjian Z Heavy Ride)

User Info Menu

Default New review on an old cymbal (1984 20" Zildjian Z Heavy Ride)

Well this is a review on a cymbal I have been hunting for a while. It is a 1984 Zildjian 20" Z Heavy Ride. This guy is heavy physically weighing over ten pounds. It is Hammered in a spiral pattern using a hexagonal hammer. These have not been made in quite some time. The sound is piercing. The overtones are minimal and the fundamental tone dominates. the Bell is loud with an anvil sound and feel. The stick feel reveals quite an amount of rebound due to the overall mass of the cymbal. The main use would be for rock music with driven quality. This cymbal was used quite a bit for recording through the 80's and 90's for rock music.

Pros: dominate fundamental tone with minimal secondary tones and wash and relatively dry. Plays well in Rock and will cut through the loudest of bands

Cons: difficult to hunt down as it has not been made since the mid 80's, bit of a niche cymbal with limited use in other musical styles. Blasted heavy when tearing down and setting up.

Cool factor (0-10): 8

Would recommend for anyone wanting to add a driving ride cymbal for the arsenal.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New review on an old cymbal (1984 20" Zildjian Z Heavy Ride)

Thanks nucjd, that was a great review. Does the "Z" designation mean that it is a forerunner of the current Z series?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes pastor Bob
    The Z in the 80's was a different animal than it is today. It was a higher end build for Zildjian and required not only a lot of raw materials but the hammering was labor intensive. It went out of production in the mid 80's and Zildjian revived the Z3 designation just recently with their mid level rock cymbals but not the same level of craftsmanship. I keep an eye out on ebay for these and they show up every once and a while and then get snatched up. I have added a few pics of the the cymbal I just took that will show the hammering technique. I have not cleaned it yet as it just came in this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nucjd; 01-14-2010 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

History of the Z line pretty much goes: 80's original Z line, sometime in the 90's Z custom line, current production Z3 line.
    Mmm... Saturns.