Thread: lessons,have you had them?

frquent flyer Guest

Default lessons,have you had them?

How many players have had lessons?Do you think that instruction is important/essential.?I.m learning by playing along to recordings,especially conga joy.For other instruments I have taken a few lessons,sometimes helpful,sometimes not.I would like to hear from those who have received lessons,why you think that they are important.

User Info Menu

Default Re: lessons,have you had them?

I have taken conga lessons, and found them extremely helpful. It is always better to have someone else there to watch and critique your playing, something you think you might be doing right might be completely wrong. Its great to get the other players perspective as well, a teacher may have some great exercises and techniques that you can't find in a book or dvd. I think you would benefit greatly by seeking out professional lessons.

User Info Menu

I've taken many drum lessons through the years from many different teachers. Why are they important? Here are some things that come to mind:

1. A teacher can help stave off bad habits.
    2. Different drum teachers can bring different things to the table.
    3. A teacher can often motivate you more effectively than a video.
    4. A teacher often has things to offer (personal experiences/perspectives, etc.) than you won't get on a training video.
    5. Teachers can elaborate in much greater length and detail tailored to your specific needs.

It is not necessary to take lessons consistently through the years but IMO intermittent drum lessons with different teachers are invaluable.

User Info Menu

Oh, and you can't ask a dvd a question...

User Info Menu

I never took individual lessons, but I took some group classes offered by the local adult education program - they rotate between African drumming, Afro-Cuban drumming, and Brazilian drumming.

They were pretty small classes - maybe 8 of us in the biggest one - so there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions, suggest things to work on, and learn from the other students.

Plus it was a lot of fun. I'll probably do it again in the spring.

User Info Menu

You could ask the same question about learning math. Sure you can do it on your own. And you might even get it right. But if you get stuck, hit a wall, get in a rut, it's great to have a pro to ask for help. I definitely recommend that anyone serious about learning anything get help from a pro. It just makes it easier, and keeps you accountable.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

For me, one of the best things he does is motivation. I fell into one of those slumps didn't even want to look at my kit, cancelled one of my lessons one week and he told me to come on in. I did, we talked went over some sheet music and I was back in my groove excited as ever. Just my.02

frquent flyer Guest

Thank-you all for your thoughtful answers to my questions concerning HOW LESSONS CAN BE HELPFUL.