Thread: Conga recordings;suggestions.

frquent flyer Guest

Default Conga recordings;suggestions.

Can someone suggest some good Conga CDs? I like many others have sought specific style music only to be disappointed after listening.I have Conga Joy #2 which is great and I'm looking for good conga recordings;please include where CDs can be purchased.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga recordings;suggestions.

Well if your just looking for music to listen to, not lessons, I would suggest:

Pancho Sanchez-Conga Blue
    Candido Camero-Candido in Indigo
    Afro Cuban All Stars-Any album
    Mongo Santamaria-afro Roots
    Giovanni Hidalgo-Hands of Rhythm-this album is striped down instrument wise so the conga is very prominent.

frquent flyer Guest

I'm looking for CDs that are easy to play along with;as a learning tool.

User Info Menu

To echo what Leedy2 is saying: Playing along with a CD is a great way to learn. I put headphones on and adjust the volume so that I hear my congas as part of the mix. It works well for me but I suspect it depends on the headphones. I have a small studio type set, small doughnut style.
    A good song to start with is Besame Mama, either Poncho's or Mongo's. It's a pretty easy tempo and its basic tumbao pattern. Thats probably the first rhythm you'll really master and it uses all the sounds: heel/tip, closed slap and open tone. It's also a very open song which allows for working on improvisation quite easily.
    Itunes seems to have a fair amount of these records. They don't really have a catagory other than latin. Start by looking up someone easy like Mongo and then look at the "you might also like" suggestions.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

I suggest you get a hold of the LP (Latin Percussion) CDs that Cuco (Leddy 2) mentions. Get whatever there is from Mongo Santamaria, Mongo was like my father, but aside from that, his "tumbao" pattern is the tasiest there is. There are some great congueros out there, but in my opinion, Mongo is the strongest source, he inspired thousands through the years. Ray Barretto is another great souce. Playing the "tumbao" correctly is the key to conga playing, after that's accomplished all other rhythms fall into place, rumba, songo, 6/8, guarapachangueo, brazilian........
    Mongo lives! Enclosed last photo of Mongo alive, Dec 2002 with yours truly.

Dario
    Attached Images Attached Images