Thread: Terrible Buzzing Sound

TheKidd Guest

Default Terrible Buzzing Sound

Actually, this is for guitar. THe amp has an emulated output. Normally, that goes from the amp into the mixer, the mixer into the computer. Recently, it makes a humming noise, that gets even louder when I record. It only buzzes when it is plugged into the comp. Alesis multimix 8 usb. Any IDeas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Terrible Buzzing Sound

Your best bet would be to eliminate one item at a time from your signal chain to find the culprit if it's coming from your rig or the mixer. It's also possible that your guitar is picking up on some stray computer noise. If that's the case, either get further from the computer or keep your pickups pointed away from it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidd View Post
    Actually, this is for guitar. THe amp has an emulated output. Normally, that goes from the amp into the mixer, the mixer into the computer. Recently, it makes a humming noise, that gets even louder when I record. It only buzzes when it is plugged into the comp. Alesis multimix 8 usb. Any IDeas?
    Get rid of the guitar. Switch to drums!

User Info Menu

you may have a ground loop- stray voltages that cause buzzing- is all the equipment plugged into the same power outlet? Try that if it isn't- if you have florescent lights, that will do it too. I have also run a separate ground to my pc, which took out a lot of buzz i was getting.
    good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    you may have a ground loop- stray voltages that cause buzzing- is all the equipment plugged into the same power outlet? Try that if it isn't- if you have florescent lights, that will do it too. I have also run a separate ground to my pc, which took out a lot of buzz i was getting.
    good luck!
    funkyruss is dead on correct. Ground loop, vs ballast from florescent lights.

TheKidd Guest

Wow, I do have floresent lights! I will try turnig them off, since I have track lights too soit wont be dark. Also, Why would it just be starting now?

User Info Menu

Another option is a leaky capacitor on the board in the amp.Has been a big problem for VOX amps (particularly the Hybrid amps) lately.