Thread: Downsized to 18" Mapex Fusion Kick ~

User Info Menu

Default Downsized to 18" Mapex Fusion Kick ~

Hey guys, need some help. I switched up from my 22" Mapex kick to a new 18" fusion kick. Im using EmAD 2 on the 22, and want to EmAD the 18 as well. I have had trouble getting a nice thuddy, tight punch from the 18. Any suggestions?? Should I just slap on the EMAD2 with thick ring and leave the reso alone? or also, in addition to the EMAD, add some small rolled towel muffling ONLY contacting the reso? Other suggestion I was given was to get foam weather stripping and line the inside of the reso with a total circular muffke ring gkued about an inch in frim the mountung edges. ANy suggestions?

Oh, main reason for using the 18 is I can now mount my 4 toms on a stand and have a virgin kick, and the 18 sits low enough where I can almost flatten out the toms when mounted increasing my sixtuplet spee around the entire tom setup.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Downsized to 18" Mapex Fusion Kick ~

I use an 18" Mapex Meridian Maple on my small kit. I still have the stock batter tuned low (just above wrinkle) and the Emad reso. I also use the Evans EQ pad. It turns heads...

User Info Menu

I will def try the downtuning. I played out Saturday night with it, the wifey went and surprised me with an EMAD for it, so I slapped it on with full choke muffle installed. I cranked it up pretty well, and kept the reso slightly tighter than finger tight, maybe quarter of a key turn. Rolled up a small hand towel and placed it up against the reso only making about an inch contact on the bottom 8 inches of the head. SOunded ok, but still struggle to get the full rebound , response as from the 22 with EMAD. The JBL PA filtered out the very minor ring , so it went well, but still not as "punchy" as I would like.
    Last edited by Funk-Soldier; 01-19-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Hey Funk-Soldier,

Did you buy your virgin kick online or at your local drumstore? im looking for a 20" Mapex myself but Im having trouble finding one online.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pockets View Post
    Hey Funk-Soldier,

Did you buy your virgin kick online or at your local drumstore? im looking for a 20" Mapex myself but Im having trouble finding one online.

Thanks
    I find that my 18" kick sounds the best completely un-muffled and not ported. I have stock heads, but they are Powerstroke-like with an extra ring on the outside. I got good results with a Powerstroke/Fiberskyn combo on a previous kit , also completely unmuffled. It sounds a bit weird sitting behind the kit, but from out front and with a Beta 52 on the front head, it is very nice.