Thread: Now, how does this sound?

TheKidd Guest

Default Now, how does this sound?

I wanna thank everyone for helping me out on the site. You guys helped me fixed the buzzing sound, now onto the actual technical part.

I recorded a tiny clip of something we played. Very tiny. Tell me what I could fix, yea it may sound bad but it only sounds good with headphones that have great bass...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/712917711aa08929/

If that won't work, let me know.

I just mean, how can I make it sound more studio like. Levels and all

User Info Menu

Default Re: Now, how does this sound?

First good for you for getting your head around recording. It can be very difficult and everyone wants to give there 2 cents (including myself). There are a hundred different ways to skin a cat. Now on to the critique. First thing I notice is the clean guitar is clipping on the preamp with a ton of high end sizzle. Second the drums sit pretty well on the whole in the mix. One of the more difficult parts of the kit to tame is the hihat and yours does not seem to have that problem. I don't seem to hear the Bass drum. First thing I would do is make sure everyone is leveled appropriately with their inputs including your kit and particular the snare and the check your pre's for clipping. Anyway rock on and have fun.

TheKidd Guest

Thanks man! BUt I dont have a preamp.....:?

User Info Menu

How are your mics interfacing with you computer. Mics require a pre to power them usually. I guess I should have asked you how you are interfacing with the computer and what gear you are recording with because I am hearing clipping and there has got to be a preamp somewhere in the gear.

TheKidd Guest

Clipping in the guitar or drums. Because it does tell me its clippin, but it never hits the red line (Green-Yellow-Red)

User Info Menu

Again, how are you interfacing with your computer and what gear are you using?

TheKidd Guest

Oops. Ok

Guitar-Amp
    Amp Output-Mixer
    Mixer-comp (Usb)

That what you meant?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    How are your mics interfacing with you computer. Mics require a pre to power them usually. I guess I should have asked you how you are interfacing with the computer and what gear you are recording with because I am hearing clipping and there has got to be a preamp somewhere in the gear.
    sorry but this is kind of a wake up call for me, how do you determine if the mixer has preamps in it? cuz i just bought a mackie sr24.4 but it didn't say in the description anywhere about pre's. would i need to get one for any kind of microphone to work, and if so which one? does the sound suffer considerably without one?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

OK, TK... How are the drums interfaced as well. I mainly noticed the guitars clipping, particularly the clean guitar so check the levels at the mixer and dial them back. Are you recording with a mic or DI (direct input) from the amp?

Russ.. Did a search and found the pdf on your mixer and checked out the manual. You are golden the XLR inputs have phantom power and the pre's in the board will be just fine for what you are doing (not really sure though what you are going to do with it ).