Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling the Gretsch kit; need a good price

User Info Menu

Default Selling the Gretsch kit; need a good price

Well, needless to say I'm stepping off the throne and throwing away the sticks.

I got a Tobacco Fade Sunburst Gretsch Catalina Maple drumset for Christmas, but I need to sell it now for the reason above. I plan to sell everything I use with the kit which includes:

-DW Airlift 9000 Drumthrone
    -18" Zildjian ZBT Crash Ride
    -13" Zildjian ZBT Hi-hats
    -16" Paiste PST5 Crash
    -L316HH Custom Double Braced Hi Hat Stand
    -Pacific By DW
    CB700 Boom Cymbal Stand
    -Ludwig Accent Combo Stock Stand
    -Pearl
    P2000C Power Shifter Eliminator Single Bass Drum Pedal
    -LP Rock Cowbell

Also, on the snare I added an Ambassador Hazy on the resonant with a Vintage Emperor on the batter, and on the bass drum I added an Evans Emad for the batter side.

What is the best price? If I'm selling these, I'd like to get as much as they are worth. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Selling the Gretsch kit; need a good price

Maybe $600-$800ish, though I'm stepping off the throne and throwing away the sticks is a poor reason to give up. Why not stick with it, you have a sweet brand new kit to play with?

User Info Menu

..Gasp !!...those are the same words I said after getting out of the business in my early-20s to finish my degree and start a family. 10 years later, I got the FEVER back...yup !..the FEVER FOR MORE COWBELL !! My prediction Jonzo is that you'll be back later in life to regain your throne. So, I agree with Gretchhead...$600-$800 on Craigslist....
    Last edited by nio; 01-14-2010 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

wow,, if i was the person that bought you that drumset for Christmas, and you sold it a month later, i'd be pretty upset.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    wow,, if i was the person that bought you that drumset for Christmas, and you sold it a month later, i'd be pretty upset.
    i agree man i would actually be furious what is the reason you wanna quit ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

yeh, $600-$800. the hardware and cymbals are pretty low end and the economy is down so you wont get back what you have into it.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Lol, it's a bit complicated. I just feel like I could use the money if I'm not gonna play dr00mz anymore.

Also, I would think my airlift throne would increase the value.

User Info Menu

Wow.. I guess I could never see myself quitting drums.
    It sounds to me like you have some pretty nice gear there. You must have enjoyed playing drums to some extent...????

User Info Menu

Jonzo, the decision to quit is certainly a shock, but we will respect that it is a decision that each person must make for themselves, and you have said that it was a complicated decision. May I ask for you to tell us more about what happened to bring you to this decision, or would you rather keep that private?

The reason that people here would encourage you to keep going is that it is a common story for drummers to have laid down their sticks only to find that they pick them up again later in life. Of course, we are not walking in your shoes, and don't know the full story.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Jonzo, PB was right when he said that alot of us have done this before and came back..I am one of those stories...one thing that I always kept as a reminder of my drumming days gone by was my drum Key! I know it sounds funny but that Key always
    reminded me of my drumming days and now here I am at 55 drumming again and loving
    every moment of it..If you need the cash then so be...if you just don't like drumming well chaulk that up to one of lives experiences...but if you enjoyed drumming...keep something...anything to remind you to find it again when times get better...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

Larrysperf Guest

All I can add IsDONT DO IT

User Info Menu

Jonzo,, i just went back and checked out some of your posts, i read about your beloved kit that your dad got for you at Christmas, the pain in your hand, your sore shoulder,your slow foot,lack of stick control....

everything that you complained about ,are all common problems among drummers . YOU HAVE TO WORK ON THESE PROBLEMS TO CORRECT THEM!!!!!! ALL OF US HAVE GONE THROUGH THESE.... it just takes some work .... nobody gets good by quitting.......

you said that you bought a led zep record,and hearing John Bonham made you want to play drums... what would have happened in the drum world if he would have givin up playing drums as easy as you have ??????

nobody gets good automaticlly,, it takes work and time . are you willing to do that??? if not,,, them get rid of the drums ,and give your dad his hard earned money back. every time you quit doing something that you (think you like) makes it easier to quit the (next thing that you think you like)...

my advice to you is ........ MAN UP.... give it the time and work that you owe to it ,a couple months isnt enough....

your dad bought you a drum set for Christmas that he paid a bunch of his hard earned money for, to make his son happy.you at least owe him a serious attempt .. if your not willing to do that ,, sell the drums and give him back his money(at a loss )

i've been trying to get a plan together to get drumsets to kids that are good drummers ,and their parents cant afford a set of drums for them... there are many ,many people out there that would do anything to have a nice set of drums ,like you have,,, that will never get one .. its a stinking shame that you just want to give up so easy....

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Dont sell,practice,and as atomcorr said MAN UP!

User Info Menu

I started playing drums late in life compared to many young cats here on DC. The need to get myself a good start in my adulthood required me to step away from my kit and concentrate on college and earning a degree so I could compete against a rising work force. If I would of sold my first kit on the first sign of a challenging situation, I would of never been able to conquer other hurdles that are on life's "fast" track. If it's money you need, the cash you get from the quick sale of your new kit will be half its value. If it's motivation you need, stash the kit in a safe spot and come back to it when you want something to beat up on besides yourself; we all tend to be our own harshes critics.

late

User Info Menu

Selling the kit so early??? I can not even think of this!!!

I ran into some tough spots money wise and I sold other prized possessions and would sell my soul before my kit. My drums is what keeps me sane.

When I have a bad day I play harder takes the mind away from other problems.

If it is just frsutration at not being able to get certain things on the kit. Oh man you should be inside my head. I beat myself up something terrible when I can't get something I am hard myself but it pushes me to work harder and then after u get it it is awesome.

But we don't know exactly why or your deep down reasons for selling the kit so if it must be done I hope u get the most for it sounds like a really nice kit.

User Info Menu

Lol, I shouldn't make these threads. I get so frustrated that I boast I'm gonna quit out of impulse. I get discouraged I guess because I have some problems playing stuff like Ozzy Era Black Sabbath, and I've been playing for 2years. I really need to build up my chops, and my right foot. I barely get to practice on the kit. I actually tried guitar, but I got too impatient with it and wanted to be Eddie Van Halen after 10 minutes. With drums, I do actually get motivated to take the time to get good, even though I say I'm gonna quit after I can't play a Led Zeppelin song correctly.

When I get frustrated, I actually just end up taking a 1-2 day break away from the drums and that helps. I'm sure I'd be a lot better if I practiced for 2 hours a day.

Bottom line...no I'm not quitting. I won't make anymore of these threads. Thanks to everyone in the thread for being very encouraging.

I would, however, like to sell my old Ludwig kit, but I'm sure I'll only get about $200.

User Info Menu

I feel your frustration.

I have been playing now for what a year and a half and I see people that have been playing for a lesser amount of time or are like 6 years old and they are belting out songs I can't touch.

I have many things to work on. I still haven't mastered any rudiments or I still have troubble pulling off a drum roll.

I get impatient as well, I would love to be able to sit down and play like Phil Collins ( my major drum influence) and I get frsutrated when I can't figure things out.

I sometimes think I will never be able to be good enough to ever play in a band.

BUT I know that is not true because I remember when I first started flying lessons. OH I wanted to give up many many times because I couldn't pull off a decent landing couldn't put the plane down on the numbers, couldn't land without bouncing the plane down the runway lol

I thought I'am not or will ever be a pilot but little did I realize that even though I wanted to quit I still kept at it and even though I didn't see it every time I went up it was more practice and I was improving but wasn't realizing it because I couldn't really see any progress.

But over time, one day something would click and I would be able to do something I had troubble with and couldn't do before something simple and that gave me enough motivation to hang on with it.

Next thing you know BAM I'am taking my final check ride for my private certificate.

Same with drums, I know that at this point there are things I can't do but will come in time.

Like one of the other posters said anything that requires a skill takes time thats why everyone can't be a pilot or be a drummer or a doctor. It is something that is inside you that makes you whoever or whatever you are doing.

The fact that you got a drum kit and began playing and feel frustration should tell you that you at least have a desire to play if you didn't have that desire you wouldn't be getting frsutrated when you played you would just be like screw it no big deal and walk away but the fact that it bothers you that you can't get things you know you want to so you you just have to work through it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo View Post
    Lol, I shouldn't make these threads. I get so frustrated that I boast I'm gonna quit out of impulse. I get discouraged I guess because I have some problems playing stuff like Ozzy Era Black Sabbath, and I've been playing for 2years. I really need to build up my chops, and my right foot. I barely get to practice on the kit. I actually tried guitar, but I got too impatient with it and wanted to be Eddie Van Halen after 10 minutes. With drums, I do actually get motivated to take the time to get good, even though I say I'm gonna quit after I can't play a Led Zeppelin song correctly.

When I get frustrated, I actually just end up taking a 1-2 day break away from the drums and that helps. I'm sure I'd be a lot better if I practiced for 2 hours a day.

Bottom line...no I'm not quitting. I won't make anymore of these threads. Thanks to everyone in the thread for being very encouraging.

I would, however, like to sell my old Ludwig kit, but I'm sure I'll only get about $200.
    ok , first of all, i have no clue as to your drum history except for that you have been playing for 2 yrs. Do you take lessons or are you going the self taught route? if you're going self taught, i can tell you from experience that lessons are worth their weight in gold. I played for 5-6 yrs self taught, now I could play ok and by ok i mean that non drummers thought i was good. eventually I quit and sold my kit

fast forward 20 yrs, I started playing again back in march, at the same time I started taking lessons. I just go to one hour lesson 2x a month. man, i cant even begin to tell you how much better i have become.

Now I'm not saying that you can just go take lessons and suddenly you're John Bonham, not even close, it takes a lot of hard work and a lot of dedication. You have to practice and depending on what you're working on it can be very boring but you just have to have the mindset that if you keep practicing the end result will be groove mastery.

So technically I've been studying drums for less than a year, 6 months ago, I would have told you playing something like the song Kryptonite would be impossible for me. My teach said "ok you have to learn to play triplets at 200bpm" I LMAO...started at about 120, a week later 140, following week 160...now I could do triplets at 200 bpm all day long and i can blast through that song like nothing.

on the other hand, i have neglected my double kick so my doubles are laughable at best. I really dont have much use for them anyway but i want to get my speed and control built up on them just for my own gratification.

start slow, practice often and dont give up, you'll progress by leaps and bounds if you do. Also, if you dont take lessons you should think about it.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Jonzo..I'm glad you came back to your thread to clarify your frustrations. This is what I love about DrumChat....the posters above me have some great insight and the genuine concern and it show in their words to you...

Just remember one thing, guitar players can razzledazzle and drop leads over the top of any song, it's the DRUMMER who's in control and it's the DRUMMER who has the entire audience with their fists in the air and arms pumping to the beat. WE have this power and it's an amazing feeling when you see people moving in time with your drumming. Words cannot describe this feeling...That's what keeps me motivated.

User Info Menu

well dude,, im glad to see that your thinking about it a little more.

nobody knows who the next great drummer will be ,, it could be you!!!!!!!! but ya gotta give it a real attempt.. you cant expect to get good in a short amount of time . nobody does.... it takes practice and the drive to do it ..
    but you cant tell everyone your quitting, everytime the going gets tough...
    have ya ever heard the story of the boy that cried wolf ??

i'll almost always try to talk a young guy like you out of quitting , your dad is standing behind you and so are we.. if your having problems ,we can and will help you as much as we can , but 99% of it has to come from you.. if you need help, P.M. me ,i'll give you all the help i can . and im sure there are many people here that will do the same thing...

NOW GO PLAY THAT BEAUTIFUL DRUMSET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lil drummerboy71 View Post
    I feel your frustration.

I have been playing now for what a year and a half and I see people that have been playing for a lesser amount of time or are like 6 years old and they are belting out songs I can't touch.

I have many things to work on. I still haven't mastered any rudiments or I still have troubble pulling off a drum roll.

Hiya fella,

Been playing since I was eleven, and I learnt to play on the side of my bed 'air-drumming' to my favourite British Indie tunes. I didn't play a kit for the first three years I was a 'drummer'. And I learnt the basics teaching myself. I also learnt a lot of bad habits, I might add. In my late teens I thought I was 'there', an amzing drummer. I was maybe above average, but seriously not by much, I thought I just wanted it more, and that that was enough. But I also got complacent, and it broke my heart that every month I would see a drummer that was my age or a little younger than me who I realised, if I was honest to myself, was 'better' than me. I never bothered with rudiments until I was in my mid twenties and couldn't roll properly, I always put it off because I couldn't get over the initial hump of not being able to do it.

Now I'm a drum teacher and the thing I always relay to the kids is what I call the three minute rule. As I said, in my mid 20's I finally picked up a book and forced myself to understand what I was trying to achieve. It took me three minutes to get the basic understanding (lots of work after to make it sound good, but the work was kinda the easy part once I 'understood' it). Three minutes! Its all just application.

Now whenever I, or my students hit a brick wall, I encourage myself and them to take a step back and think through what they need to do, right down to the brass tack simple aspects, where my hand needs to be, where in the click the stroke should be, etc, and then aim our efforts towards that. And its amazing what effect this has.

Upshot is, man, don't judge yourself on anyone elses ability, but judge on your own and you will happen across your own voice on the kit and your own aims, and you will be sincerely fulfilled by your own confidence. That gets you through the times when it doesn't click!

As regards the loads of things, pick a progression in what you need to do and thread through all the rudiments. I always go single stroke, paradiddles, to double stroke and then the double stroke 5/6/7/9/11/13/15/ onwards. One renowned jazz drummer (I forget who, sorry) reckoned he only practiced 4 rudiments, cos that was all he needed to do what he wanted to do.

To finish, I found this in The Art of Bop Drumming which has great resonance to me: 'Tony Williams, born in 1945, burst onto the music scene in 1963. At the age of 17, he was playing with Miles Davis and sounding great, Steve Gadd, also born in 1945, first started making waves in the music scene in 1975, at age 30. Imagine how different the music scene would be today if a young Steve Gadd became frustrated by comparing himself to Tony in 1964 or 65 and stopped playing. They both are great players who have influenced many. Everyone develops at their own pace. Elvin Jones made his first record at age 29. Art Blakey started leading the Jazz Messenger at age 37. Remember music is a life-long pursuit, and meaningful improvement takes time.'
    Enjoy it, brother, I promise you will get there. Just be patient with yourself, and good luck!
    Last edited by one devils st.; 01-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lil drummerboy71 View Post
    I feel your frustration.

I get impatient as well, I would love to be able to sit down and play like Phil Collins ( my major drum influence) and I get frsutrated when I can't figure things out.

I sometimes think I will never be able to be good enough to ever play in a band.

BUT I know that is not true because I remember when I first started flying lessons. OH I wanted to give up many many times because I couldn't pull off a decent landing couldn't put the plane down on the numbers, couldn't land without bouncing the plane down the runway lol
    I thought I'am not or will ever be a pilot but little did I realize that even though I wanted to quit I still kept at it and even though I didn't see it every time I went up it was more practice and I was improving but wasn't realizing it because I couldn't really see any progress.

But over time, one day something would click and I would be able to do something I had troubble with and couldn't do before something simple and that gave me enough motivation to hang on with it.

Next thing you know BAM I'am taking my final check ride for my private certificate.

Same with drums, I know that at this point there are things I can't do but will come in time.

Like one of the other posters said anything that requires a skill takes time thats why everyone can't be a pilot or be a drummer or a doctor. It is something that is inside you that makes you whoever or whatever you are doing.

The fact that you got a drum kit and began playing and feel frustration should tell you that you at least have a desire to play if you didn't have that desire you wouldn't be getting frsutrated when you played you would just be like screw it no big deal and walk away but the fact that it bothers you that you can't get things you know you want to so you you just have to work through it.
    Man, I can surely relate to that. For 2 months, I either flared too early, came in too slow, or flared too late and bounced that airplane all over the place. Lol. It wasn't until September of 2009 that I started to make decent landings on my own. My instructor actually played a trick on me. He told me to hold the airplane up for as long as possible, and after a little while he'd go to full power and we'd go around. Well I tried to keep the airplane up, but I ended up barely touching down, and he looked and said "See? That's what you have to do." Lol.

But I see your point about drums too. This forum is something else. I have not encountered one single person who is rude, or has an ego. And that's saying a lot, since I've been on plenty of forums.

To the other people who made long replies, don't worry, I read them thoroughly. I don't want you all to feel like you typed a bunch for no reason. I think it's pretty cool I haven't encountered an a-hole (pardon me).

Funny enough, once I cooled down a bit, "Stranger in Town" by Bob Seger actually made me go back on the kit to play along to it. I figure that if I stop trying to play Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, or Jimi Hendrix for a while and play along to slightly simpler stuff like Creedence or Bob Seger, I won't get so discouraged.

I'm not looking to becoming the most technically efficient drummer, but I'd like to make the song sound good. I'm sure ya'll know this, but when a good drummer is behind the band, the band is better. If you have a shredding guitarist but a mediocre drummer (like my band!), you're band won't be very good. If you have an ok guitarist but a good drummer, you're band will have a nice sound.

When a drummer plays a solid groove, the feel of a song is so much more "soulful."

I get mad because around my area, almost all drummers who are my age are punk drummers, or metalcore drummers. The smaller handful of them just play simple rock beats with what seems like no inspiration behind them. There's quite an opportunity to stand out. People have told me I have quite an "old school" style. Didn't know whether they were insults or compliments, but I like the idea.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for being encouraging about this. I'm still surprised because like I said, not one single person was rude about this. In the real world, that's rare. Lol. Thanks everyone.

User Info Menu

its great to hear your not quiting man =]
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    All I can add IsDONT DO IT

NEVER!!! DO NOT DO IT!!! Dude, I did, and It was one of the worst gegrets I have almost 20 years later> MAn, Its hard times, but there is ALWAYS an option. Once again , IM takin it back to one of credos from the finest fighitng force in the world " Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome"~
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

Crap, shoulda reAD FURTHER DOWN. mY BAD.
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.