Thread: Loose Tension Rods

User Info Menu

Default Loose Tension Rods

Loose Tension Rods - The tension rods on my small and mid tom keep coming loose. It seems like it happens overnight!?!? Anything I can put on the threads of the rods, so they don't come loose?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Loose Tension Rods

there is a product on the market called tight screw. its suppose to be a tension rod that wont come loose. i have never personally used them but have heard good reviews.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Try some thread tape, my dad uses it for waterproofing pipe fittings, worth a shot at least.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

You could also use those locking rings - they're basically rubber or plastic washers that go between the tension rod screw and the rim. They can help a lot of the time. Unfortunately if they're badly worn you might need to replace the tension rods, but that wouldn't be too expensive.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

How low do you have the drums tuned?

User Info Menu

Keeping them tuned is what's the problem. It's almost like every two days I'm adjusting the heads because they are loose. I have another drum set and they don't move at all. I have some of that pipe tape - I will try that. I'm not sure how low I have them tuned. I don't like a tight high sound from the toms. I like them to sound big and fat - 70's -ish. If that makes any sense.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    You could also use those locking rings - they're basically rubber or plastic washers that go between the tension rod screw and the rim. They can help a lot of the time. Unfortunately if they're badly worn you might need to replace the tension rods, but that wouldn't be too expensive.
    This. No gummy adhesive residue.

User Info Menu

Tune them tighter. Just a little, like a quarter turn.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Your drums are tuned way to low.

User Info Menu

what about those plastic round spacers that come on a lot of different drums? it seems like those would help reduce transfer of motion between the rim and the rod. there's also lug locks if you are feeling like trying something new. on a side note, it will also help to use some type of lubricant inside the threads for smooth tuning and operation.
    Last edited by Russ; 01-17-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You could take off the bottom heads if you're going for that super-dead sound.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    there's also lug locks if you are feeling like trying something new.
    agreed+1 this is your best bet because they completely lock the tension rod in place. they give you a good piece of mind if you play live also.

User Info Menu

blue Loc-Tite. Just a dab on each rod and you're golden. DON'T use red Loc-Tite though.

User Info Menu

I tightened my tuning a bit and also used the loctite. Big improvement! I used - loctite thread locker blue 242. I think it's the vibration and the plastic washers may have worked too. Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

Definitely agree with lug locks.

User Info Menu

Make sure the tension rods are greased up nicely too. Sounds like it might make them looser, but it actually helps keep in the place. And looks after them more.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks