Thread: Drum Beats?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Beats?

I am new to Drummer (about 6 months of drumming) and I can't seem to make up new beats. Will this get easier as I become more exp drummer or what? Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Beats?

Try listening to your favorite bands/drummers for inspiration It'll come to you!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Yes agreed with Andrew!

Consider getting some drum books as well... they have different beats you can practice as well as rudiments and sticking control exercises that give birth to ideas.

Welcome to DC btw

User Info Menu

Yes agreed with Andrew!

Consider getting some drum books as well... they have different beats you can practice as well as rudiments and sticking control exercises that give birth to ideas.

Welcome to DC btw

User Info Menu

You should really consider getting your rudiments very solid (if you haven't already). They are like letters of the alphabet, and the more you know, the more words you can spell, and the more complex sentences you can create. Another idea is to get "Stick Control: For the Snare Drummer," and use those simple patterns in beats. In other words, keep an ostinato on the hihat, and try to read and play the patterns with your opposite hand, foot (either one). This will improve independence, thus allowing you to play what ever comes to mind. Your creativity will be your only barrier. Good luck!!
    JC-

User Info Menu

Are you taking lessons? A teacher could help with this, Or look on the net and practice practice.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Yeah agreed with the guys above. Also, when I have trouble thinking of a new beat I'll just play around and not try to do something I normally would. A lot of times something new and pretty cool will show up. Rudiments is a big part too. I wasn't really a big rudiment fan for a while, but after I figured out how many more things I could do with them, I began using them a heck of a lot more.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I always recommend that musicians start listening to music that they've never tried before as well. Like, if you're in to hard rock and metal, listen to some jazz, or vice versa.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Alright Thanks guys! I will try all those suggestions.
    Btw glad to be at DC!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    I always recommend that musicians start listening to music that they've never tried before as well. Like, if you're in to hard rock and metal, listen to some jazz, or vice versa.
    I agree, listen to a variety of music. Focus in on what the drummer(s) are doing. My favorite is listening to some latin stuff, you will hear many different types of percussion instruments (drum set, conga, bongos, timbales, etc..), each playing a different beat that complements each other. You will begin to hear how they play off each other...its very cool !

User Info Menu

Hey I don't have really anything else to say that as not been said by someone else but I did want to say welcome! Drum teacher also is a great thing to have. Cannot say that enough!

KISSFan300

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    That's a great idea as well. I started doing this about four months ago and was amazed at how much it expanded my drumming. Definately something you should put at the top of your list
    "Music is always an experiment."