Thread: I got the kit, now what?

User Info Menu

Default I got the kit, now what?

After "many" years, purchased a new kit, and was wondering of any tips or tricks anyone can offer in setting up or things that have paid off in the long run.

The heads are just ok, so will consider changing them out. Would lubricating the tension rod screws be advised? If so, what with to avoid dirt build up? I do plan on getting cases soon too. So far, nothing out of round and edges are staight.

My tuning thoughts are to trying to tune to the shell resonance. This seems like it would be benefitial, but am not sure entirely how to find out the shell fundamental or if it really does make a significant difference.

There was a little carelessness during manufacturing. On one tom, the glue used for the white pearl wrap had oozed over to the edge and a couple drops fell onto the inner shell. The glue was wiped off at the factory, but feeling the bearing edge circumference, it gets a little sticky in the area mentioned. Some very light and careful sanding hopefully will take care of this. Otherwise no other manufacturing defects have been noticed.

Thanks,

d4H

User Info Menu

Ok ... maybe a little obvious and things have not really changed that much in 30 years.

However, I would like some experienced advice on how to smooth out the edge where the glue residue is. Should I use sandpaper? Steel wool? I assume the glue is somewhat seeped into the wood and am afraid that I could make things worse.

Thanks,

Rich

User Info Menu

Using tuning forks helps with resonance if you know how to use em. Sounds like you know what your talking about for the most part. How "many" years have you played?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Actually about 40 years, but I was MIA for about 10 years since apartment living did not adapt to drums to well. Then I discovered E drums, and kept busy with the latest toy for those. So it has been awhile since I have actually purchased a new acoustic kit. I thought (hoping) maybe since it had been awhile since I bought or evened tuned up a real kit there may be some new magic tool or discovery for this.

A tuning fork does soung like good idea. Here's another thought. I have a piezo tuner that normally clamps on any instrument and it will tell you what note you are playing. I'm going to clamp it onto the shells w/o any heads and see what note it reports back.

d4H

User Info Menu

Sounds like a plan, the piano tuning thing.
    I've never tuned to drum resonance, I just tuned to what sound I wanted, for the individual drum, but not losing sight of the overall effect. All a matter of personal taste, I suppose. Congrats on the set, enjoy!!

User Info Menu

i had a yamaha DTXpress 3 with a crate stage amp, it was the love of my life until the kick got busted then i was like "f this" lol. resonance isnt really that big of a deal if your playing a show or small gig, not really noticable over other things or a fast solo. i bought a drum-dial to tune, not recommended.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy