Thread: Getting rid of incidental snare buzz

User Info Menu

Default Getting rid of incidental snare buzz

Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to get rid of that annoying buzz from my snares, whenever I hit any other tom. I have tried to loosen the snare control a bit, but that doesn't seem to work, as when I need to finally hit the snare drum, the snare effect is lessened. I have tried to just reposition the toms, but no luck. I have also used sound dampening rings and other googaws on the toms themselves. Still no luck.

What do any of the rest of you do...?
    Pearl VMX Maple 5 piece
    Silver Glitter
    Zildjian A Customs
    Pearl 3-sided rack

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting rid of incidental snare buzz

tighten your snares.

User Info Menu

A couple things - first off, a small amount of snare buzz is common and normally unnoticable when playing the whole set because it is drowned out by the rest of the music. If you have a overly loud or very annoying snare buzz, there are a lot of things it could be. The first thing to try is tightening or loosening the snares to see if that helps, but as you mentioned that can change the sound of the whole drum. Other things to try are tightening the resonant head because sometimes snares buzz because the resonant head has loosened up and has more play in it to respond to vibrations, or just completely replacing the resonant head if there are dings on it. Another idea is to closely check the snare wires - recently I had a nasty snare buzz, and it turned out the problem was that the wires were coming loose. In fact, two wires ending up breaking off before I got my hands on a replacement set.

One interesting side note - if the snare buzzes when all the other toms are hit then the problem is most likely the snare, but if the snare buzzes when only one particular tom is hit it is probably because they are tuned to a sympathetic frequency and the solution is actually to retune that specific tom.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Try tuning up or down the lugs that are right next to the snare wires on the resonate side (4 lugs) a little at a time. Some will be tighter while other's will be looser. It won't change the overall sound that much to be noticable. Assuming that you don't want to change your tom tuning, and making sure your resonate side is pretty tight to start with. And your wires are at the tension that sounds good to you. You will almost never get rid of snare buzz totally, but I've found this to work pretty well.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Hey dude,

The best advice I can give is to turn your snare 90 degrees. I like to have the strainer at the North position of the snare. This has eliminated 95% of the snare buzz for me.

I will not tell anyone how I eliminated the other 5% of the buzz because some people think it's blasphemy

cheers,
    wm_crash, the friendly hooligan
    N00b member of Russ' Zildjian League

"yohin: I never say anything good enough to be put in someone's sig."

User Info Menu

Haha!

Please tell us wm crash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wm_crash View Post
    Hey dude,

I will not tell anyone how I eliminated the other 5% of the buzz because some people think it's blasphemy

cheers,
    Duct tape over the wires?
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

OK, it's not as bad as duct tape. I bought a roll of the thinnest and softest foam insulation strip, cut pieces, and placed them underthe wires. I removed the paper and the sticky layer. Even that was a bit too wide, so I cut the pieces I use lengthwise. There are endless possibilities on how many pieces to use and where to place them. I have tried many and this is what works best for me:

For my 14", I am using 3 pieces:

2 pieces are about 1" longer than the wires' width. When placed under the wires, there's about 1/2" overhang on each side. They are placed about 1/4" in front of the metal plated that the wires are glued to.

One piece is much longer, with about 3" overhang on each side when placed under the snares. This one goes in the middle. I taped the ends with painter's blue tape because it tends to slip out during play.

I also did the 90 degree rotation as stated in last reply.

Now, the sweet spot of the drum moved almost a whole inch up. It's a small price to pay.

You also lose the wires on very soft ghost notes. For me again this is a very small price to pay, but for others it may be an enormous loss.

Your setup may respond differently. But with a foam roll that's really long, you have enough material to try pretty much anything.

Although not stated, my assumption is that you have good quality heads and snare wires. Stock heads are usually not quality heads. I am using Evans Onyx over Hazy 300.

cheers,
    N00b member of Russ' Zildjian League

"yohin: I never say anything good enough to be put in someone's sig."

User Info Menu

if your toms are causing the buzz,, then the problem is the tuning of your toms . i know this sounds strange , but ,,,try tuning your toms different ,it should help, the sound your talking about is called sympathetic vibrations. caused by the tune of your toms ...give it a try...

User Info Menu

Try using a snare set with fewer wires. Most of the time, the problem with excess snare buzz comes from using a 20-strand set of snare wires. Try dropping to a 16 or 12-strand set.

User Info Menu

I had the same problem so I just tightened my snares and slipped a piece of folded computer paper between the wires near the edge of the drum and that worked for me.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I have found that you can also stick one Moon Gel strip next to the snares on the resonant head. This will kill some of the vibration, and it's super cheap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nickadamsdrums View Post
    I have found that you can also stick one Moon Gel strip next to the snares on the resonant head. This will kill some of the vibration, and it's super cheap
    How do ya keep gravity from removing the moon gel?

I think that the way to remove buzz is............tuning- get those toms out of that range of the snare- retune the toms, retune the snare- tighter reso on the snare makes the snare more sensitive to snare hits, but not necessarily more sensitive to your toms-Tuning Baby, tuning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    How do ya keep gravity from removing the moon gel?

I think that the way to remove buzz is............tuning- get those toms out of that range of the snare- retune the toms, retune the snare- tighter reso on the snare makes the snare more sensitive to snare hits, but not necessarily more sensitive to your toms-Tuning Baby, tuning!
    Isn't there less gravity on the moon???

On the Evans site, there is a Gatzen video about snare buzz. He confirms a lot of the comments made in this thread, but the process is still amazing to watch. He goes from having varying amounts of sympathetic buzz from all toms, to having a small amount from just 1. Then limits that to a very reasonable amount.

I thought it was interesting that the new Pearl electronic set has tom sounds that include sympathetic snare buzz. It sure provided a level of realism that would likely not be noticed as a negative by the listener. It just sounded "real" and not over processed.

User Info Menu

Hey dude, there are a lot of good suggestions but the most simple solution I found was to cut a piece of gaffa tape about 2 inches long and half an inch wide and tape it across the butt side of the snare wires about an inch or two from the rim. I tune top and bottom heads tight and have the strainer not too tight and I eliminate buzz to a high degree. I dont think you will remove buzz completely however. If you are recording then you will have to find a way to eliminate the buzz but if you mainly play live I would not stress about it because it wont be heard.