Thread: Drum and bugle

User Info Menu

Question Drum and bugle

I am a high school drummer and am considering joining some sort of drum corps. By doing this, though, I will be basically getting rid of the chance of actually having a summer away from bAnd. Basically, I just wantto know of you guys think this would be a good idea or not. I know for a fact I can get in, I just don't know if I want to lose my last summer before graduating. What do u guys think? Is it worth it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum and bugle

Quote Originally Posted by tidus1112 View Post
    I am a high school drummer and am considering joining some sort of drum corps. By doing this, though, I will be basically getting rid of the chance of actually having a summer away from bAnd. Basically, I just wantto know of you guys think this would be a good idea or not. I know for a fact I can get in, I just don't know if I want to lose my last summer before graduating. What do u guys think? Is it worth it?
    It's not for everyone...it was the hardest and most rewarding thing I ever did though. 25 years later it was a pivotal point in my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I learned more things about myself that continue to serve me to this day. The lessons I had learned, specifically Honor, Loyalty, and Dedication, have had an impact on my career and other life endeavors.

I wouldn't suggest you do it unless you really have the desire though.

User Info Menu

I think it will be an excellent learning experience and will progress your playing hugely. If you are planning on making music your career and plan on going to music school, I think it is an opportunity you can't pass up. It might suck to give up your last summer break, but I assure you that you will still have a blast and meet some great new friends. There will always be other summers, but there is an age cut off for drum corps, so if you pass it up you may never get another chance. I wish that I had joined when I had the chance, but I am now several years too old and will never get the chance again. Who are you looking to join?

User Info Menu

I spent two of my summers during my Highschool years in drum corp, and it was a very rewarding experience, a made a lot of friends we worked hard, but had a great time doing it. I still run into an old drum corp friend from time to time. It definitely will help your playing, especially your stamina. I don't think you'll regret your decision. What corp are you considering joining?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that it's called Spokane thunder. I had considered doing something like this anyway, but I sorta know one of the dudes who does Spokane, so that's what got me into that. Don't quote me on the name, but I am pretty sure that's what it is. Nevertheless, he's showed me a few videos of the group and it looks small, but it seems like a very promising group. It sounds like it'd be a blast though :D just want to be sure that I don't make a mistake.

User Info Menu

They likely don't do a full tour so the commitment should be reasonable. That may be a good way to test the waters to see if you want to move up to a Division 1 corps down the road.

User Info Menu

A summer or two in the corps, will turn you into a drum corps nut for life.
    Des Plaines Vanguard. Drum and Bugle Corps, 1972

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat roadapple! I am dying to know where that username comes from!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat roadapple! I am dying to know where that username comes from!
    LOL, Back in the day when it was cool to have a CB in your ride, well I was a kid with my first ride and CB......but no "handle", it seemed to me everybody was the Black Knight or the lone ranger or something along those lines. So I asked my Dad what would be a good Handle I could use, he said how about Roadapple, so I asked him "Whats a Roadapple"? When he told me, I about fell out of my chair and knew I was now a Roadapple!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roadapple View Post
    '72 Des Plaines Vanguard??? Holtz, WSS, Hair...good stuff.

I was a few years behind you in one of your closest rivals from '72. Played multi-tenors.

On the starting line, from Casper Wyoming...

User Info Menu

Troopers had one of the best uniforms to take the field.

User Info Menu

I've been a drum corps nut since 8th grade and now a sophomore in High School. haha. That just means my life is gonnna be alot less boring.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Troopers had one of the best uniforms to take the field.
    I agree

From the Pearl booth at NAMM...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Drum Corps is definitely something that can improve skills and work ethic. But if you go into it thinking that you can skate by without practicing or working hard you are sorely mistaken. It is something that is very rewarding but is also not for everyone. I would suggest starting somewhere that doesnt do a full tour and see if you would like going out on a full tour cause it is like nothing that you have ever done before

User Info Menu

i have a friend that marched with them. they merged with the other corps in washington so now they are the cascades. but yeah my friend played bass for them for two years now and she absolutely loved it. i wish i would have done drum corps. but my window of opportunity has been closed. :(

User Info Menu

The Cascades/Thunder merger was only for the 09 season. Spokane Thunder is fielding a corps for '10 as far as I know.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare