Thread: you know what they say about guys with big feet

User Info Menu

Default you know what they say about guys with big feet

hi all, i watched a little tutorial on here about the heel/toe technique,and thought i would give it a try. good luck! i cant even put my whole foot on the footboard without putting my toes into the chain anybody else have this problem? im using a dw 7000 at the moment but will be getting two iron cobras after i track down another bass drum. anyone know if the footboard is any longer on those?

User Info Menu

Default Re: you know what they say about guys with big feet

oh yeah,....... they wear big socks

User Info Menu

i ware a size 12 shoe ,and it seems to fit well on my iron cobra..

User Info Menu

Hahaha man I have the same problem. Prepare for people saying "you don't need to have your whole foot on the pedal". Personally I just put up with the toes in the chains because I can't do that "other" technique, despite how much I've tried.

@ Atom, you have tiny feet
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    hi all, i watched a little tutorial on here about the heel/toe technique,and thought i would give it a try. good luck! i cant even put my whole foot on the footboard without putting my toes into the chain anybody else have this problem? im using a dw 7000 at the moment but will be getting two iron cobras after i track down another bass drum. anyone know if the footboard is any longer on those?
    I've been down this road before...check it out...
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...3.html?t=11963
    Last edited by nio; 01-17-2010 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the issue is that you don't have to actually have your entire foot on the board. Since your heel is resting in heel-toe, it can just as easily rest a little off the board too.

I understand some people have really big feet, but that shouldn't make a huge difference. I have 12.5's US and have no issues. And before weasel chimes in, 15's are about 3/4 of an inch longer than mine, so not a big deal.

Of course, I usually play heel up anyway!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I think the issue is that you don't have to actually have your entire foot on the board. Since your heel is resting in heel-toe, it can just as easily rest a little off the board too.

I understand some people have really big feet, but that shouldn't make a huge difference. I have 12.5's US and have no issues. And before weasel chimes in, 15's are about 3/4 of an inch longer than mine, so not a big deal.

Hahaha yeah I wish I could do that technique. But I can't, and I've tried and tried. I've so many videos and read heaps of threads on many forums, I've been trying that technique for months now but now I've just given up.

I use the "other" heel-toe technique.

I feel jealous of people blessed with small feet, because that would make my way of doing it easier
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Big feet is my problem too. Normally I just take off my right shoe and play with just the sock. I also play with my foot only 3/4 of the way up the pedal and use only hit using my toes. Heel-toe might be a good thing to learn though...
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

we talking about the same heel toe? im talking about first hit with heel, second hit with toe

User Info Menu

There's two variations (that I know of) of heel-toe. This is one variation.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8axCnfnE_BA"]YouTube- Heel Toe Technique - By Chris Hayes[/ame]

Here's another way, which is the way I do it (slamming down on the bottom of the pedal to make one stroke, then pushing down the top with your toes, to make the second stroke).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKNJxv5AIs"]YouTube- Heikki Saari - Pearl Eliminator P-3002 Demon Drive - Demo[/ame]
    Last edited by xweasel; 01-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13drummer View Post
    Big feet is my problem too. Normally I just take off my right shoe and play with just the sock. I also play with my foot only 3/4 of the way up the pedal and use only hit using my toes. Heel-toe might be a good thing to learn though...
    yeah i play bare foot also. its been a long time since ive played an iron cobra , how long is the footboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Louie J. View Post
    Heel-toe should be called "ball-toe" for those of us with gangly feet. I can't do the traditional heel toe, but the rocking from the ball to the toes works pretty well.
    that's what it's supposed to be. the videos of people with their heels ON the pedal are confusing, but they're rolling their toes just like you.

User Info Menu

And the debate continues. Right. There is a big difference between ball-toe, or heel-slide-toe to actual straight forward heel-toe. Everybody with big feet that are telling us they are doing straight forward heel toe is an impossibility. Your toes are crammed into the chain in order to fit your heel on the pedal in order to just simply strike straight down on the pedal for the first note. Therefore you are really doing a heel-toe slide technique, or more than likely the ball-toe method. In order to do a straight forward heel-toe, where the first note is your heel straight down on the pedal without sliding you would need a long-board of some sort. I'm a size 12 shoe and finally went with this pedal, the DW8002B. Now I can do all the different methods with or without shoes. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

My bad folks! I forgot you were all metal double pedal geeks .

I thought you were just talking about playing heel down (old school) as compared to heel up.

In terms of the stuff you are talking about it's out of my realm of experience.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

My bad folks! I forgot you were all metal double pedal geeks .

I thought you were just talking about playing heel down (old school) as compared to heel up.

In terms of the stuff you are talking about it's out of my realm of experience.

I don't think that you have to be a "metal double pedal geek" in order to want to play a double pedal. Neil Peart plays a double pedal, and he's not a "metal double pedal geek". Just discussing heel-toe stuff that can be applied to a single pedal as well. Thanks.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

You're gonna have to go with some longboards man. I couldn't get the heel toe to work off the pedal on my left foot myself. It's the whole reason I ended up going for the Demon Drives. Check out any longboard configured pedal man, forget the cobras, they're too short.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

nnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo i love the feel of cobras! is that pearl an accelerated cam design?

User Info Menu

You're missing the obvious. Simply have your foot surgically shortened! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    It really is obvious! We can count on you KG!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Y'know that is really a very good idea
    - Zack

User Info Menu

you know what they say about guys with big feet
    According to some girls I know, "Big disappointment."

Andy