Thread: Um how should I set up my drum set.

User Info Menu

Default Um how should I set up my drum set.

Like If I wanted to do like metal I would have it set up as a 6 piece. But like something like Pop-Rock Something like all time low maybe like a 4 piece idk. I do like having a 4 piece easier to set up. But my 6 piece like one of the toms get in the way of the snare drum. Idk. I think just might go to a 4 piece.
    I play a old pacific set. Yes I said pacific you know like actually spelling it out instead of PDP. So yeah I have an old pacific set. racks are 10,12, and 14, floor is 18. but the my floor tom is PDP platinum series would of like the same as my set but o well my set is like not made anymore. Kick is an 20 inch and got stock 13 inch snare drum with mighty putty, and I still need good cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Um how should I set up my drum set.

I've played 6 piece (3 rack toms, 1 floor tom), typical 5 piece, and a 4 piece, all on the same kit.

For most rock, I found the 6 piece unnecessary to lug around. The 4 piece was very cool, compact, easy to reach everything and worth trying out. But there are some limitations on some fills you might do. In the end I'm back to a standard 5 piece on both my kits!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

well for like fills for the 4 piece I can do like a timpani sMP roll or something on my 18 inch floor tom like that which basically I hit a Loud note on 1 then roll on 2 and keep on intel I want to then do like a paradiltle or something the and do a a loud note my 12 inch or my 14 inch depends what i have as my 1 rack tom
    I play a old pacific set. Yes I said pacific you know like actually spelling it out instead of PDP. So yeah I have an old pacific set. racks are 10,12, and 14, floor is 18. but the my floor tom is PDP platinum series would of like the same as my set but o well my set is like not made anymore. Kick is an 20 inch and got stock 13 inch snare drum with mighty putty, and I still need good cymbals

User Info Menu

IMO I would go with a larger kit because you have more sounds and if you're gigging you can break it down into a 5-piece if you need to.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I've always thought that if you've got it, set it up. You can always decide not to hit it. One adjustment that I would recommend is to take the toms off the bassdrum. I do believe that the BD resonates and sounds better. So, try mounting the 10" and 12" on a stand to the left of the BD. Then, mount the 14" on another stand to the right of the BD. Finally, set the Floor Tom next to the 14". Good luck !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I've always thought that if you've got it, set it up. You can always decide not to hit it. One adjustment that I would recommend is to take the toms off the bassdrum. I do believe that the BD resonates and sounds better. So, try mounting the 10" and 12" on a stand to the left of the BD. Then, mount the 14" on another stand to the right of the BD. Finally, set the Floor Tom next to the 14". Good luck !
    This is great advice. I have had my kit set up as described by Nio for quite a long time. Works great for me!

User Info Menu

I agree, if you have the drums, set them up.

By the way, try thinking about what you want to say before you say it.

User Info Menu

Set it up n whatever configuration you feel most comfortable. Personally I like a 5 pc. 2 up 1 down setup, with 10 and 12 up top and a 16 floor. You've got the highs and the lows...its not too much and its not too little.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Set it up n whatever configuration you feel most comfortable. Personally I like a 5 pc. 2 up 1 down setup, with 10 and 12 up top and a 16 floor. You've got the highs and the lows...its not too much and its not too little.
    Great advice. Pick try everything you can and then set it up officially however you feel the best behind it. I went from 6 to 4, to 5, to 4, to 6 before i figured it out. I have it se 1 up 1 down. 12 and 14 inch. with the rack tom mounted off my cymbal stand instead of the bass drum and its lower and flatter. i like it ALOT. but i used to like my 6 piece better
    -Steven