Thread: Requinto,should I buy one?

frquent flyer Guest

Default Requinto,should I buy one?

I currently own two congas ,good ones and a good tumba. I am Considering getting a Requinto,but dont know anything about them except they have a 91/2 inch head and are tuned to a higher pitch {E ,i am told}I do have a love for melodic conga sounds and it seems like the next thing to get. Would like to hear from players of the Requinto for advice and opions.

frquent flyer Guest

Default Re: Requinto,should I buy one?

How many drums make a set? I have seen two,up to seven. Also how high can you tune a conga?I have two and one will stay at "C" but what about the other.How high can I safely tune it?

User Info Menu

The number of drums that make up a set is pretty subjective. I don't think there is a rule on that. Most players use three or four, from what I've seen. However you will find players that play seven or eight and some only one. It's really up to you. That said, a two drum set up is perfect for learning on. You can learn to play all the rythms on one but, reaching out to another drum is a skill all in itself.
    As far a the requinto goes that was the first drum I got. I moved on to a quinto and tumba setup after that. Some of the songs I play with my bro's I like the sound of it better than the quinto. Most of the time though I use it as a accent drum. It;s a great drum and I love the sound of it. The only draw back is the small head makes it tough doing any double hande techniques like a heel tip roll on both hands.
    If your still pretty new and still picking up the basics I wait to buy another drum. The burning desire to hit a third drum is worth the wait! By then you might find that you want a lower sound...super tumba!
    Cheers

frquent flyer Guest

Good advice and thanks. The problem is the drum{requinto }is only on sale till the end of February. Will I succumb to the burning desire to get another drum,we shall see!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    requito, quito,conga tumba and super tumba 5 drums and to play all you must be really bad an ensemble such as this you need 3 conga players that know what they are doing. Take a look at what I am telling you don't get mix up. If you can't play like this or are playing this kind of music use common sence.
    ¡Coño fenomenal!

frquent flyer Guest

Actually I am more interested in what Samuel torres does with his seven drums. I just love the range of tones he uses.But I have always been a tone freak .

frquent flyer Guest

Yes thanks leedy,I have seen some of patatoes playing;he is great. I sure hope we will be blessed to be playing at a ripe old age.

frquent flyer Guest

Potato seems to have the secret sauce alright.Probably got started in cuba at a very early age. Samuel Torres stresses the importance of melody and harmony.Thats a talent which I would like to develop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    Good advice and thanks. The problem is the drum{requinto }is only on sale till the end of February. Will I succumb to the burning desire to get another drum,we shall see!
    OOOO...sale. Yeah thats a tough one. If it's a smokin deal you might want to take it. Like I said I love my little requinto but Leedy2 is right it is very much a solo drum. If you like that Sam Torres sound its not the drum for you. You dont get a lot of sustain out of them. It's a short and sharp sound. If your looking to get another nice "tone" in the mix I'd go with another conga or 12" drum.
    Cheers

frquent flyer Guest

I hadn't thought that the smaller requinto would be short on "RING" but I understand now.Thanks.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Requinto,should I buy one?

The question reminds me of a parallel question among our set drummers: "How many side and/or floor toms are enough?" I have seen guys who make a four-piece drum kit sound like ten--and I've seen some that make a ten-piece kit sound like four.

I have tried playin' four congas and I discovered (at least at the time I did it) that I might as well have been playin' two since I was essentially doing the same beats on two of the four at any one time. I could have done it better on only two or three congas.

Leedy is right, man...to make more than two congas work, you have to have them tuned to intervals that make them "sing" when you apply the right combination of hand positions...and, mi hermano, Patato set an extremely high bar for us tumbaderos to aim for!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    Hey Frqent flyer what requinto is on sale til the end of February?

Also, I have 28 inch congas, I don't think they make a 28 inch requinto. Is it foolish to have a 30 inch (4th drum) in my group? Or does anyone know who makes a 28 inch requinto?

frquent flyer Guest

You might try california percussion,however currently NONE are available,of the galaxies.

User Info Menu

Leedy, if this question is for me, I have LP Salsa Congas. I don't see that too many people have them on this site. If I get the LP rubber feet for them, it may raise them up to ~ 30 inches and a 30" requinto may work. I have just never seen any videos where anyone has congas of differing heights. Anyways, thanks for the videos above- theyre great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    I don't recomend for you know
    Yes, I agree. It is not worth it to have the 4th drum for me at this point. Actually, have 3 kids who I am encouraging to play together as a drum circle and will give to each of them a drum when I 'retire to upstairs'. But for now, unless I become a professional and upgrade to professional-grade instruments, I will stick with the classic 3 drums.

Advice taken! Thanks Leedy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    Hey Frqent flyer what requinto is on sale til the end of February?

Also, I have 28 inch congas, I don't think they make a 28 inch requinto. Is it foolish to have a 30 inch (4th drum) in my group? Or does anyone know who makes a 28 inch requinto?
    I know you've been talked out of it already, but there are several brands that have 28" tall drums in a 10" size but don't call them requintos... usually the lower end models like LP Aspire or Toca Players Series; frequently sold only in pairs but you might find a used one.

User Info Menu

Jibaro-

ah, very good! I did see that as well. I may become tempted again one day; been eyeing that 10"/requinto-sized space in my office at work to play around lunchtime...

User Info Menu

I had the same question when I had just my quinto, conga and tumba. I wasn't sure if I should get a requinto or a super tumba as my next addition. I found the perfect answer. I got both. I love the highs on the requinto just as much as the super lows of the super tumba. They added a whole new dimension to my playing.

User Info Menu

I have never regretted getting a requinto...it's a nice drum to have.

User Info Menu

Personally I like the Super Tumba but I prefer the low end. It is a personal taste thang.

Play as many drums as your heart desires. Do not let anyone tell you you are wrong with your taste.

The requinto has a much narrower tonal range compared with Super Tumba but the Requinto is often cheaper and easier to store and travel with.

I have several Tumba plus sized Conga/Bomba drums, 12 1/2", 13", 13 1/4", 14", 15" and 16". I play them together like a bass plays different notes. I have not performed live with a band with this set this way but back in the 90's I played homemade bass drums (12", 14", 16" and 18") in a Percussion ensemble with no electiric instruments so this took the primary bass role.

Play what you enjoy and enjoy what you play. If the Requinto speakes your voice by all means play it.

Keep it fun,

Jerry Bembe

User Info Menu

Now I want a Super tumba,again. I do not have the room for another drum sorry to say. Also the lady of the house has a shotgun and will use it if I buy another drum{only kidding.]

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Requinto,should I buy one?

Don't misunderstand me! I wouldn't mind having a requinto and/or a supertumba...but my earlier comment was based more on a matter of skill than the number of drums you can play at once.

If you want them and can afford them, enjoy them!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck