Thread: Master Thread: Drum Head Reviews

User Info Menu

Default Master Thread: Drum Head Reviews

Hey guys, so I think this thread is long overdue and will be a necessary thread here. Often times, people are always wondering, "Which drum head should I use/buy?" Well, now we can have all the answers in one quick and convenient space. Feel free to post your reviews of whatever drums, both batter and resonant heads. Bass heads, tom heads, snare heads, whatever. Feel free to be as specific as you like. If there is a really good explanation of a drum head and its application, I will edit my post here and post it so all the best reviews can be seen in one place. I will take different opinions as well.

I hope this can become a sticky because it could be a GREAT thread!!

Reviews:
    Start reviewing!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Default Re: Master Thread: Drum Head Reviews

First review here is going to be on a snare head.

Remo Coated Controlled Sound Reverse Dot Snare Head
    I have been using this snare head for a while and have been generally please with it.

Features
    -Ambassador weight head (10-mil single ply)
    -5 mil center dot in center

Pro's
    -Very durable, will show stick marks, but definitely holds up to heavy hitting
    -It gives two different tones depending on where you hit it. Hit it in the center dot for less overtones, and off-center for more overtones and a warmer, brighter sound.
    -Has a good crack to it
    -Price is affordable at $13-$16

Con's
    -It tends to sound dead in the center unless you are rim-shotting
    -Loses sensitivity in the center, sounds semi-choked even if the head isn't.
    -The stick bounce in the center isn't as strong.

Overall
    I would give it 4/5 stars. When it is tuned just right, it will sound better than most snare heads out there. However, finding that perfect tuning can be tricky. However, I don't think there is a "perfect" snare head that combines its durability with the bounce, sensitivity, and open sound of a single ply head without the dot. Regardless of what people say about Evans durability, they all have their faults.
    Last edited by Mr. Tama; 02-21-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Come on guys, 15 people have read this, and no responses. Let's get moving

User Info Menu

Alright....

Evans G2 Coated Tom Head

Features:
    - Double ply head (7 mm each)

Pros:
    - Cuts out some of the plasticy stick attack of clear heads
    - Overall warmer tone, with just the right amount of sustain (IMO)
    - I've had them for about a month and there's barely any stick marks. Incredibly durable.

Cons:
    - Can't think of any.

Overall:
    5/5 stars. I absolutely love these heads!
    Matt

dave0549jv Guest

Sticky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Sticky!
    Please sticky I think this could be an extremely helpful thread!

User Info Menu

I am partial to Evans. My favorite set up for toms are

EC2 over EC resos

EC2 over G1 also works, but not as nicely as the EC resos.

G2 over G1

Kick: Evans GMAD (never tried the EMAD, although I do have an EMAD reso with the stock batter on my 18" MAPEX)

Remo PS

Next one to try is the Aquarian SKII, with a single ply reso and a Kickport!

User Info Menu

EC2 batters, DW resos on all of my toms.
    My snare is currently a mix breed with a Aquarian Studio X batter and a Remo reso.
    My kick has Aquarian Super Kick I for the batter and reso.
    Last edited by JayW; 01-23-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

i play classic stuff,i like big ,deepsounding drums .. my bass drum is 24 inch ,tama superstar,birch, i want the sound of my bass to knock you off your chair. i use a clear remo pinstripe on it.
    my mounted tom is a 12 inch,also a clear pinstripe
    floor tom 16 inch, also a clear pinstripe
    reso's on the toms and bass are clear ambassador's
    snare drum 14 by 6.5,birch,,, top remo emperor (coated)
    snare side is a remo snare head ,(dont know what the name is ) but its a thin,hazy,head ,i think its the only snare head remo offers .

the drums are old (1982)birch tama superstars,all the shells are deep.

if you like your drums sounding big,and deep , this combo of heads and drums , should work for you ..

User Info Menu

Pearl ECX Maple kit:
    Remo clear ambass over Evans G1 for 10, 12, 14, & 16X16 FT w/ 1 piece of moon gel at the 12:00 o'clock postion.

Results:
    I wanted to use a 1 ply head on the toms to have a quick decay and not much sustain to highlight single and double stroke rolls and to make them sound tighter. My goals have been achieved.

For the bass drums (x2) on this kit, I'm using Evans Emad with no pillow and a stock ported Pearl 1 ply blk reso head and a Pearl Eliminator stock felt beater.

Results:
    I wanted to get a booming sound from my maple bass drums and tuned really low with the Emad batter heads but the naturally warm tone from the maple shells made the bass drums sound thumpy without much attack in my opinion.

Pearl Session Birch SBX:
    I bought this kit used and had the following heads:
    toms: 12, 13, 16x16FT, with 1 ply Remo coated Ambass over Remo 1 ply Ambass. clear
    5.5x14 birch snare: Evans coated reverse power batter over Remo Weather King clear snare reso

Results:
    With this kit, I'm not using any damping gels or dead ringers on the birch toms and I like the long sustain a little ring. In my opinion, the tone from the toms punches right through and has a bright attack.

For the Session bass drum, I'm using a Remo Powerstroke3 that came with this kit over a stock blk 1 ply Pearl reso w/ port and a Evans EQ pillow. A DW 5000A double pedal is used with the stock hard felt DW beater and a Remo Flam Slam patch on the batter head.

Results:
    Booming bass with good punch and attack. The Remo Powerstroke3 is great! I achieved my goal for the Session bass drum.

'67 Ludwig
    9x13 16x16 ft 14x22 bass drum (all shells 3-ply)
    Tom heads are Remo Suede with no damping or dead ringers and I like the quick decay and warm sound from the heads. Good in my opinion for blues or jazz and R & B.

Bass drum:
    14x22 with Remo coated Emp over Ludwig vintage hazy mylar heavy reso. No damping or pillow and the mounting holes has been blocked.

With a hard felt beater, the bass drum goes BOOOOOMMMMMMM. In my opinion, big thumbs up on this set up for bass drum.
    Last edited by late8; 01-25-2010 at 12:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Guys this is a REVIEW thread. Not a which head do you use thread. So please, give reviews of the heads of your choice. I want this thread to be stickied!

User Info Menu

Okay since no one is helping with the cause, I will keep reviewing drum heads in hope that people will jump on the bandwagon!

Remo Clear Pinstripes

Features
    -Emperor Weight Head (Double-Ply, 7mil each)
    -Thin dampening ring around the outer edge of the head

Pro's
    -Dampening ring shortens decay, eliminating excess resonance and overtones.
    -Very durable
    -Fat sound, medium warmth resonance
    -Great low end when tuned low, but maintains high tunings well.

Con's
    -Despite what people say, this head can be hard to tune. Not hard to find the a desirable tone, but hard to find a desirable tone without the plasticy sound of a clear, double-ply head. However, once found, they sound amazing.

Use
    -Great for rock, metal, and r&b.
    -NOT for jazz, at all.

Overall
    Remo has really hit the mark with the Pinstripes. They have lasted the test of time and have been used by hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of drummers time and time again. These heads are definitely not for jazz, but I don't think people expect them to be. I think that the EC2s may have these heads beat by a bit, but not by much. I would give it 4.25/5 stars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    First review here is going to be on a snare head.

Remo Coated Controlled Sound Reverse Dot Snare Head
    I have been using this snare head for a while and have been generally please with it.

Features
    -Ambassador weight head (7-mil single ply)
    -5 mil center dot in center

Pro's
    -Very durable, will show stick marks, but definitely holds up to heavy hitting
    -It gives two different tones depending on where you hit it. Hit it in the center dot for less overtones, and off-center for more overtones and a warmer, brighter sound.
    -Has a good crack to it
    -Price is affordable at $13-$16

Con's
    -It tends to sound dead in the center unless you are rim-shotting
    -Loses sensitivity in the center, sounds semi-choked even if the head isn't.
    -The stick bounce in the center isn't as strong.

Overall
    I would give it 4/5 stars. When it is tuned just right, it will sound better than most snare heads out there. However, finding that perfect tuning can be tricky. However, I don't think there is a "perfect" snare head that combines its durability with the bounce, sensitivity, and open sound of a single ply head without the dot. Regardless of what people say about Evans durability, they all have their faults.
    Mr. Tama, I just wanted to point out that the Remo CS Reverse Dot is indeed ambassador weight but that's 10 mils, not 7. 7 mils is the weight of diplomats.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Evans EMAD2 Clear

Features:
    - 2 plies (7mil and 10mil)
    - Removable/interchangeable foam muffle rings (a large and a small)

Pros:
    -Cuts out a good amount of sustain without making the kick drum sound dead

Cons:
    -Has an EXTREME sharp, clicky attack. This is a con for me but may be a pro for others (like metal guys)
    -Expensive ($40-$50)

Overall:
    2.5/5. Great head if you are into the strong attack, which I'm not.

Aquarian Superkick II

Features:
    -2 ply head
    -Foam muffle ring

Pros:
    -Gives a nice thumpy attack, especially if paired with felt beaters. Perfect amount of sustain (not much, but just enough to not make the kick sound dead).
    -Cheaper than similar other kick drum head from Evans.

Cons:
    None so far. I've only had it for a couple weeks.

Overall:
    5/5 stars. Great head IMO. I may go all Aquarian next time I change batters for my toms.
    Matt