Thread: Vintage Valje Bongó

User Info Menu

Default Vintage Valje Bongó

Hola Rumberos, I just got this old Vintage Valje from my son Trumpet teacher. I convinced him to let me have it instead of letting his students destroy it. Thus far I have taken the rust off and polish the crowns and bottoms hoops to a beautiful shine thanks to aluminum foil, Neverdull and some zymol wax. I have been working on this polishing project since this morning with great results.The Bongó Macho is out off round by what I think is years of leaving it tunned forever, anyway my friend Artisan from Timbas del Valle said he can take care of that by steaming, hot water or by installing an alma inside and then applying preassure to make it round again. He also said that may be during that process some or all staves may have to be reglue. Also new lugs are in need because the original ones are too rusted. The skins also are to be replace.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage Valje Bongó

Beautiful bongos Caballoballo! Can't wait to here how things come out with the rest of the restoration.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Leady, I am not going to do anything myself. My friend at timbas del valle is the 1 to do the job. He is very competent doing instrument repairs. He makes Congas, Plena Panderos and Bomba Barriles, he is good. Anytime I have something to do to 1 of my Bongos I always ask him for advice and wait for him to do the job. For instance as I know he is very busy right now, I ask him about another artisan to do the job and he said that he would not recommend that artisan so I left the valje at his house this morning.

Pastor Bob, I should post the progress if I have the chance.

User Info Menu

Caballoballo, nice job polishing up the rims, please post some pics when you get it back finished.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey