Thread: Longboard Pedals

User Info Menu

Default Longboard Pedals

Hey guys, a friend of mine playing Pearl Exports wants to get himself some long board pedals, but he doesn't know much about them and just heard the Axis Longboards are nice.

So, which do you guys prefer?

DW 8002B vs. Axis Longboards vs. Trick Bigfoots

Try to give a reason, i'm not looking for a response like "definitely axis"

Cheers,

User Info Menu

Default Re: Longboard Pedals

depends on what hes playing, if hes playing death metal proabably axis cause almost every death metal song has really fast double bass, and from what iv heard axis only work with really fast double bass drumming, the response is almost two fast, so if hes playing different styles it could be harder

what id reccomend is a DW9000, its better than the 8000, and its very fast and smooth it would work well for regular rock and death metal, i might get the 9000s if i get a job this summer

if those pedals are too exsesnive go with pearl eliminators, i have them and i really like them, they come with 4 different cams, and everything on the pedal is adjustable
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

the 9000's aren't longboards though. A true longboard, such as the axis has the hinge sitting right behind the heel of your foot, instead of just in front of it.

I've actually owned both the DW9000 and the Axis longboard. The DW is nice and firm -- and pretty darned fast for a standard pedal. I switched to the axis due to a back injury that hinders the speed in my right foot.

I don't find the lack of resistance to be a problem at all. In fact, the Axis just feels like an extension of my foot. I find that the "weight" of the pedal has more to do with the beater. The stock beater for the axis is that weird l-shaped hammer, which I use for quieter gigs. If I'm playing a big stage and backing a rock band, I swap it out for a standard dual-sided DW beater and it just feels like a really fast DW pedal. Plus, it's got a really trick way to adjust the resistance without changing the drive geometry, so I can set it up to have just as much resistance as the 9000.

User Info Menu

Yes, the 3 pedals I listed are all longboards.

He's using pearl eliminators right now but he wants to try out the heel toe technique and so I recommend he try out longboards. He's only played the Axis and is curious about the other two.

I'm playing 9002's right now and although they're super smooth and nice, they're not longboards like the 8002B's are.

And yes he doesn't strictly play at death metal speed so I guess I'll recommend he try out the other two.

User Info Menu

Out of DW 8002B's and Axis AL-2's, I prefer the Axis. They just felt more comfortable (though mind you I only played them for like 5 mins each at the music store). I haven't the pleasure to try out Trick Bigfoots, but you can go pretty fast with them. Chris Adler (Lamb of God), Nick Barker (Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth), Tony Laureano (Nile, Dimmu Borgir), Inferno (Behemoth), Bermuda Schwartz (Weird Al). All those guy use them.

But really he should try them out himself. Though if he decides to go with Axis, word of advice - he should get the A longboards, not X longboards. The reason being is because the A longboards come with the VDL (Variable Drive Lever).
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Long boards are not needed for 'heel-toe', or simply 'doubles' as I've always thought of them as. ANY pedal will work. It's all in the technique, the pedal is irrelevant. I accidentally learned to play doubles with the crappiest Tama BD pedal you've ever seen in your life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Long boards are not needed for 'heel-toe', or simply 'doubles' as I've always thought of them as. ANY pedal will work. It's all in the technique, the pedal is irrelevant. I accidentally learned to play doubles with the crappiest Tama BD pedal you've ever seen in your life.
    We know, but it's nice to have anyway.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Without a long-board pedal and with an 11 and up shoe size, you can't do straight up just push your heel straight down heel-toe without cramming your toes into the chain. What the technique that then develops is a "ball of your foot-toe" and or "swivel side step-toe technique. But with a long-board pedal you can master all 3 techniques. I recently bought the DW8002B long-boards and am very satisfied with the adjustability and smoothness. The 9002's aren't long-boards. I have lots of room with which to learn any technique now. $380.00 is a lot to pay for pedals, but $600.00 for Axis pedals is just ridiculous IMO. Just my 2 cents.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Without a long-board pedal and with an 11 and up shoe size, you can't do straight up just push your heel straight down heel-toe without cramming your toes into the chain. What the technique that then develops is a "ball of your foot-toe" and or "swivel side step-toe technique. But with a long-board pedal you can master all 3 techniques. I recently bought the DW8002B long-boards and am very satisfied with the adjustability and smoothness. The 9002's aren't long-boards. I have lots of room with which to learn any technique now. $380.00 is a lot to pay for pedals, but $600.00 for Axis pedals is just ridiculous IMO. Just my 2 cents.
    That's exactly why I don't like the term 'heel-toe.' It's a double. It doesn't matter how you do it, the result is the same: a double. You can toss 20 different technique names at this simple rudiment and at the end of the day it's still a double. You don't need any sort of fancy or expensive pedal to play doubles with your feet. My size 12's play doubles perfectly fine on my normal DW 5000 pedal. It's all in your technique, not the pedal.

User Info Menu

That's exactly why I don't like the term 'heel-toe.' It's a double. It doesn't matter how you do it, the result is the same: a double. You can toss 20 different technique names at this simple rudiment and at the end of the day it's still a double. You don't need any sort of fancy or expensive pedal to play doubles with your feet. My size 12's play doubles perfectly fine on my normal DW 5000 pedal. It's all in your technique, not the pedal.
    yes it's a double and some prefer different ways to achieve that sound. If a longboard makes it easier for them, then they can get a longboard. Nothing wrong with. I believe people can do whatever they like to achieve a certain sound (goes along with my belief that you can't really cheat in music).
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Back in the day my peddle broke so I cut a 3/4 piece of ply wood mounted it and went again no problem. Maybe I'll go down to the scrap yard buy a piece of good grade aluminum shape it out then have my cuz do the mechanist work needed to it. Then I have another buddy that works at a heat treating plant who can get me the right grade of steel rod bent up and heat treat it so this old bigfoot can have a long board cheap to try out made of old junk just laying around. Heh, may even just get the ply wood out again!

" Red Green " ; You don't have to be handsome, but you have to be handy...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cokemonkey11 View Post
    Yes, the 3 pedals I listed are all longboards.
    ...And yes he doesn't strictly play at death metal speed so I guess I'll recommend he try out the other two.
    I was just saying that the 9000 is a standard, not a longboard.

Also, I don't play any speed metal, I use my axis for rock, country, folk/eclectic rock and jazz.

User Info Menu

pearl eliminator demon drives, anyone? i played around with one at a guitar center in houston. they just felt like an extension of my feet. i will probably get these when i get the money. ive been practicing heel-toe on my iron cobras and i can get it alright except my toes are in the chain and my heels are still off the back of the pedal.

anyone have a review on this pedal?

MisterMixelpix Guest

Just agreeing with an above poster. My Vex double pedals are QUITE short, as in my size 12 1/2 feet are literally the length from the chain to the very edge of the heel plate, and doing heel toe is difficult. Meanwhile my Pulse pedal which I modified to use for Rock Band is bigger, with my foot being the size from the edge of the foot plate to the hinge and doing fast double kicks there is QUITE easier.

I'm looking to get an Axis double pedal down the road. I think the differences between most pedals are minor, but the longboard thing is a HUGE difference. Between my Vex doubles and, say, D5000's is pretty minor, but those Axis pedals are WAY better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
    Just agreeing with an above poster. My Vex double pedals are QUITE short, as in my size 12 1/2 feet are literally the length from the chain to the very edge of the heel plate, and doing heel toe is difficult. Meanwhile my Pulse pedal which I modified to use for Rock Band is bigger, with my foot being the size from the edge of the foot plate to the hinge and doing fast double kicks there is QUITE easier.

I'm looking to get an Axis double pedal down the road. I think the differences between most pedals are minor, but the longboard thing is a HUGE difference. Between my Vex doubles and, say, D5000's is pretty minor, but those Axis pedals are WAY better.
    Yeah I found that playing some Axis Longboards felt way better than playing on my current Pearl Powershifters.
    - Zack