Thread: Best setup for brass snare?

User Info Menu

Default Best setup for brass snare?

Hi guys I'm looking into getting a brass snare (recommendations would be nice!), and what I'd really like to know is what would you guys do in terms of batter, reso, and snare wires for a controlled, not choked, rather wet sounding snare?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best setup for brass snare?

The closest I've ever personally owned is copper, so my advice may be a little off, but I'd recommend a thin/hazy resonant head and a coated double ply batter head, like an Evans Genera G2 or Remo Ambassador.

The thing about metal snares, especially copper and brass, is the natural sound of the metal is normally very bright and can lend itself to a ringy tone. To get that controlled, wet sound you're looking for it's going to be ALL about the tuning.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I don't own a brass snare...but I would LOVE one! I love the sound you get from the particular metal. Gonna have to save up for that one!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

if u want a brass snare, get the pearl free floater, u can also switch the shell for a maple or copper, cause the shell is changable
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts