Thread: The New Age of Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Default The New Age of Drum Chat!

Not really... but we did move to a new server in an effort to increase the speed and functionality of the forum. Most of you already may have noticed a difference in load times. Because of this move, there has been a little bit of data loss since a little before 4 PM EST yesterday, January 28th. This loss will include posts, threads, PMs, new users, shouts, etc made after that time. We apologize if any important information was lost during that time, but that part could not be helped when moving data information from one server to another.

Also, in the process of running diagnostics on the forum, we noticed that attachments were eating up a whole lot of space and resources in our database. So, from here on out, we are no longer making the attachment feature available. Again, we are sorry if this inconveniences anyone but in the best interest of the forum, it was a choice that had to be made. We suggest linking your appropriate photos from a Facebook, Picasa, Photobucket, etc account if you wish to share them on the forum.

We look forward to continuing the fun and friendly atmosphere that has been established here at Drum Chat with all of you. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this whole procedure.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The New Age of Drum Chat!

Thanks for making Drum Chat the great community that it is! We really appreciate it.
    Matt

User Info Menu

no worries.. it startled me at first, but i see what you mean now. thanks for everything
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

HAHA I was wondering why all my posts were getting deleted. Now I know...

User Info Menu

I really appreciate the speed...bummer about the pics though.

User Info Menu

thanx for all you do su_admin

we apreciate all the effort

and we are happy to be here faster

thanx again

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

We all must sacrifice something.... Too bad it was the attatchments.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

At least there is still an option. I learned that most boards don't have the attachment option turned on because of the very thing that happened... it eats up too much disk space. Like suadmin said, there are free places like photobucket etc. where we can upload the photos and then link to them so it's good that we still have that.

It's so nice to have this thing running full speed again. In fact, I think it's faster than it was before.

User Info Menu

I'm glad the site is back up to speed, and i'm not that upset about the attachments. We still have a way to share pictures, so it's all good....Thanks Su_admin!!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Awesome, man the site is blisteringly fast now (compared to what it used to be).
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Great site and the speed is more important then being able to upload a jpg to the board. I totally understand, since I'm a Network Systems Admin. I'm the SAN (Storage attached Network) admin as well, so when it comes to finding space I can relate.

Great job and keep it up. The server that is!

User Info Menu

Very cool to have the speed back up! Thanks for the heads up about the attachments!

User Info Menu

I know it takes a lot of work to keep forums running. Everything you guys do is greatly appreciated by those of us that spend time here.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Yeah, the speed is great (and we all know how drummers love to rush things...)

User Info Menu

Wow... HUGE difference. When I post in the shoutbox, it's immediate instead of a few minutes later.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

Larrysperf Guest

ah well you know but Thanks My ? is is su admin drummers girl friend or just a clone lol

User Info Menu

Kudos to the admin for making this an even better place!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Great site! I am liking this!!

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or does anyone else get host not found errors every now and again?

I did a little poking around since I only seem to have the issue with this site (so far), and it seems that the TTL for the DNS record of the site is set really low, so it expires from cache every 4 hours or so. Maybe it's just my upstream DNS server messing things up, but I have to go in and delete the drumchat.com zone from my DNS server before the refreshed records will show up for another 4 hours.

User Info Menu

Say wha? I'm afraid I don't speak techie. LOL I'll pass this one along to su_admin.

User Info Menu

LOL

Sorry to go all geek on ya like that. Let me see if I can explain in terms that are easier to understand.

So the DNS records - the thing that points people on the internet to www.drumchat.com and converts it to the IP address, which is currently 206.55.124.60 (actually an alias pointing to this IP, which is really drumchat.com - without the www part in front of it).

The records are actually set with a "self destruct timer" mechanism called TTL (or time to live) which is set at 3:59 as far as I can tell. Usually when these values are set low like this its because the IP address changes often.

What I'm seeing...and maybe it's just my ISP, is that every 3:59 the record for www.drumchat.com expires and deletes itself from the cache of my DNS server. It should re-appear on its own when my computer tries to access the site, but that's not happening. I have to clear all records for all of drumchat.com (ns1.drumchat.com, ns2.drumchat.com) by hand before I can access the site again.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: The New Age of Drum Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by su_admin View Post
    Not really... but we did move to a new server in an effort to increase the speed and functionality of the forum. Most of you already may have noticed a difference in load times. Because of this move, there has been a little bit of data loss since a little before 4 PM EST yesterday, January 28th. This loss will include posts, threads, PMs, new users, shouts, etc made after that time. We apologize if any important information was lost during that time, but that part could not be helped when moving data information from one server to another.

Also, in the process of running diagnostics on the forum, we noticed that attachments were eating up a whole lot of space and resources in our database. So, from here on out, we are no longer making the attachment feature available. Again, we are sorry if this inconveniences anyone but in the best interest of the forum, it was a choice that had to be made. We suggest linking your appropriate photos from a Facebook, Picasa, Photobucket, etc account if you wish to share them on the forum.

We look forward to continuing the fun and friendly atmosphere that has been established here at Drum Chat with all of you. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this whole procedure.
    Understandable, it makes perfect sense to me to link to my faceBook since its pre existing & I dont have to duplicate things but rather label them for reference re: Drum Chat postings per sublect. like wise...a world of friends can view them as well & may introduce Drum Chat as a resource they can become involved in just as I myself have. Ernesto Pediangco
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-23-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo corrections

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bennice View Post
    LOL

Sorry to go all geek on ya like that. Let me see if I can explain in terms that are easier to understand.

So the DNS records - the thing that points people on the internet to www.drumchat.com and converts it to the IP address, which is currently 206.55.124.60 (actually an alias pointing to this IP, which is really drumchat.com - without the www part in front of it).

The records are actually set with a "self destruct timer" mechanism called TTL (or time to live) which is set at 3:59 as far as I can tell. Usually when these values are set low like this its because the IP address changes often.

What I'm seeing...and maybe it's just my ISP, is that every 3:59 the record for www.drumchat.com expires and deletes itself from the cache of my DNS server. It should re-appear on its own when my computer tries to access the site, but that's not happening. I have to clear all records for all of drumchat.com (ns1.drumchat.com, ns2.drumchat.com) by hand before I can access the site again.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have adjusted the TTL values to address this issue. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems.

User Info Menu

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have adjusted the TTL values to address this issue. Please let us know if you continue to experience any problems.
    Sweet! It seems to be good to go now. Haven't had any issues in the past few days from home or work.

User Info Menu

It's doing it again

I haven't examined TTL's or anything else just yet. Just thought I'd point it out in case there was a change that may have contributed to this issue.