Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW Short Stack toms are here...Pics and video

User Info Menu

Default DW Short Stack toms are here...Pics and video

You may remember my thread about wanting some short stack toms. One of my kits is a Classic Series Mahogany DW, in Super Tangerine Glass, and the question I had was about mixing maple short stack toms with a Mahogany kick and/or floor toms. Well, what I ended up doing was ordering 8-10-12-15 short stacks. DW was VERY receptive about the order, even calling to find out my order # for my classics and the notes that were marked inside, to try and get a good fit.

Fast forward 6 weeks to yesterday and they arrived. One small issue. They built a 14 instead of a 15...LOL. They apologized profusely, and said they would get right to work on the 15. In the meantime, I decided to keep the 14 because I liked it so much, and had them get to work on a 16 instead.

I really ordered these short stacks blind, and I will say this. Anyone who says there is ANY loss of bottom hasnt played these. As a matter of a fact, the attack is better, and the sustain is just perfect. We were all particularly marveling at the 12 inch. Nicest tom I have ever heard. And being short stacks, you can really get them upright and flat, which is so darn ergonomc and comfy. Have always liked playing as flat as possible.

Anyway, great drums, great company, and cant wait to hear the 16 inch! Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Last edited by scuba200ft; 02-02-2010 at 12:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Short Stack toms are here...Pics and video

Last edited by scuba200ft; 01-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Veerrry nice!! That is one beautiful kit! And I'm sure she plays just as well...
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Sound review puhlease....

They sure make set up options wide open...lookin' good too!

User Info Menu

Thanks! And just for reference, in it's full size form.

User Info Menu

Hey Xsabers, how about a video!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-HRGo583a8"]YouTube- DW Short stack toms with Zoom Q3[/ame]

User Info Menu

those are freaking cool
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit! That IS freaking cool!!! Looks like going to the short toms has really made the kit more accessable. Your second floor tom, or what used to be a floor tom, is now right next to you as opposed to being behind you. It looks and sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Beautiful kit! That IS freaking cool!!! Looks like going to the short toms has really made the kit more accessable. Your second floor tom, or what used to be a floor tom, is now right next to you as opposed to being behind you. It looks and sounds great!
    Actually, when I ordered these short stacks, I was only going to go with a 15 on the right, but I ended up with a 14, and a 16 is on order and on its way, so really there isnt any difference in that respect. The 8 inch is really the only new size. I already played pretty flat, but man, these new Toms are just perfect layout-wise.

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Awesome, man! They look fantastic.
    Matt

User Info Menu

nice kit man. it sounds great !!
    what crashes are you using they have the sound I am looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by old low&slo View Post
    nice kit man. it sounds great !!
    what crashes are you using they have the sound I am looking for.
    Hey there. Left to right in the video of the short stacks is

K mastersound 13 hats
    A custom 19 crash
    A custom 14 EFX (great new cymbal from Zil!)
    A custom 17 fast crash
    K Custom 20 Dark ride
    A custom 16 fast crash

the other videos have various K customs as well. Looks like it's A customs for you, nice shimmery and bright. Just stick to the lighter weight models.

User Info Menu

The kit looks great with those short stack toms Scuba. You mentioned that there is no real loss of low end tone, and they really sound great on the video. My question would be about the projection of the toms. Is there any significant loss of projection with the short stacks, and if so, would the short stack configuration be better suited to Jazz, Fusion, or Latin styles, while your other toms would be more suited to Rock?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scuba200ft View Post
    Hey there. Left to right in the video of the short stacks is

K mastersound 13 hats
    A custom 19 crash
    A custom 14 EFX (great new cymbal from Zil!)
    A custom 17 fast crash
    K Custom 20 Dark ride
    A custom 16 fast crash

the other videos have various K customs as well. Looks like it's A customs for you, nice shimmery and bright. Just stick to the lighter weight models.
    thanks for taking the time to reply. yes looks like it's a customs for me . they
    sound just bright enough with a smooth quick decay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The kit looks great with those short stack toms Scuba. You mentioned that there is no real loss of low end tone, and they really sound great on the video. My question would be about the projection of the toms. Is there any significant loss of projection with the short stacks, and if so, would the short stack configuration be better suited to Jazz, Fusion, or Latin styles, while your other toms would be more suited to Rock?
    Thanks Bob, glad I ordered them! As far as the low end, I really dont hear any difference. As a matter of fact, and this is just theory, but somewhat sound theory, with less air to move, the immediacy of the tone is just so wonderful. The 12 and 14 are honestly the best sounding versions of those I have ever heard.

I had DW do the VLT and X shells wich ALLEGEDLY add bottom end, but who knows. I also got the ESE sound edge Neil Peart thing done to them too. Now THAT is noticable. It's like a 20 degree cut in, and the tone just sings from these.

Projection? That is one that is possibly lost because there is a shorter "barrel" to shoot the sound from, but I figure mic'd up or for home use, it won't bother me. I like what the short sizes do to the attack and resonance. Really quick attack, and tuning out overtones was as simple as I had ever done. I had read that before regarding short toms.

The other toms, the Classics, which are mahogany, may have a more boomy sound, but I really believe at this point that is more from the wood than the depths.

I would have zero issue using these for all of the above mentioned styles. Plenty loud, nice cut, just great toms. It will be quite a while before I break out the full size classics or full size collectors, and I realize that happens when you get new stuff, but to me, its the flat setup that is the closer on this deal. I may even sell the Classics kit as a whole, and get a big *** kick drum, like a 26 or 28 to go with these, just for fun.

Then again, I am a gear black hole and rarely sell anything....LOL

User Info Menu

Thanks for the additional info Scuba. I do imagine that with proper mic'ing, projection wouldn't be a problem. I hadn't really thought about that when I asked the question. Oh, and that black hole thing . . . I can totally relate. Since I have opened up my passion for music, I have explored so much gear, and I haven't started letting go of much of it yet. I suppose I'll have to at some point though!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

wow beautiful setup

i like my tom flat too

great sound brother

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Beautiful!!!

Very nice!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Wow, they look great, and i think this video has convinced me to get a Zoom Q3 ! Thanks man!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

so awesome, did you have your Red DW's I've seen in other posts changed into these, or are they new drums? Either way they are cool.
    All the Best,
    Tom

Drums:
    Ddrum Dominion Dorian 5-piece Kit
    24x18 kick
    13x9 mounted
    14x14 floor
    16x14 floor
    14x4.5 Ludwig Acrolite
    14x11 Custom Yamaha marching snare on floor tom legs

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that
    count. It's the life in your years. --Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Scuba,

Beautiful kit my friend! I'm sure you'll enjoy the 16" once you get it! I went from a 8",10",12" & 14" (3 up 1 down) to a 10",12",14" & 16" (2 up 2 down) set up. I'm thinking about ordering a 8" from DW sometime in the future. I'm not really wanting to send in a tom for the color match though. DW told me I didn't have to, but that they couldn't guarantee a perfect color match without one of my existing toms since mine are a satin fade.
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

beautiful kit but i think i still prefer the look of the regular toms...

User Info Menu

beautiful kit. love the sparkly red finish!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Play For Keeps View Post
    so awesome, did you have your Red DW's I've seen in other posts changed into these, or are they new drums? Either way they are cool.

Hey Tom, no I still have the original toms, just ordered these seperate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    Scuba,

Beautiful kit my friend! I'm sure you'll enjoy the 16" once you get it! I went from a 8",10",12" & 14" (3 up 1 down) to a 10",12",14" & 16" (2 up 2 down) set up. I'm thinking about ordering a 8" from DW sometime in the future. I'm not really wanting to send in a tom for the color match though. DW told me I didn't have to, but that they couldn't guarantee a perfect color match without one of my existing toms since mine are a satin fade.
    Hey Jay,

I actualy have a 10" tom from my blue collectors kit there for matching. thinking of adding an 8" to that kit, or a 16 or 18. They are very good about that stuff.