5 6.25%
  • Other

13 16.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE Cymbal poll

User Info Menu

Default THE Cymbal poll

What brand of cymbals do you have on your kit right now and why? Give a good answer please.

Example: I use Sabian because Peart uses them. - bad answer

I'll go first. I use Paiste cymbals because I have had problems cracking and denting other cymbal brands. The line I use is less expensive than similar lines made by other manufacturers and I feel the quality and craftsmanship is just as good.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I use Sabian for a few reasons: 1. Because they have a different sound than most other cymbals, like the B8's for example. 2. Because they have amazing sound quality and are durable. 3. Because for the price they sell at they are not pieces of junk.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

I use Sabians, Zildjians and Wuhans

I use the Wuhan china, because there isn't a better china out there for that price, Zildjians because they have good quality low-end cymbals, and I use Sabians because there rides are absolutely amazing, great sound and ping.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I use Zildjian because some of my favorite drummers play using them 2. because my jazz band set has zildjian cymbals and three i like the sound more
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

I like Sabian better. They sound better to me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: THE Cymbal poll

I use a combination. For my studio work I primarily use Paiste Signatures and proto twentys. They have a very unique and wonderfully clear sound.. The signatures rides are very defined and consistent and I love them. The fast crashes are very controllable and will not over saturate and will cut and then decay to not draw attention away from the central theme.

I user select Zildjians with my Paistes for live situations. Primarily like the A Custom Projection crashs because they cut through well but have a nice clear sound.. That is great when you want different cymbals to support clear definition at various sound levels. The Paiste Signature full crashes cut through but the projections seem to do so slightly better with a little higher pitch and a little faster decay. Where as the larger fast Paistes like the 18" inch have a nice faster crash but a lower not which doesn't conflict with other instruments. They are also great for acoustic situations.

User Info Menu

I use a combination. For my studio work I primarily use Paiste Signatures and proto twentys. They have a very unique and wonderfully clear sound.. The signatures rides are very defined and consistent and I love them. The fast crashes are very controllable and will not over saturate and will cut and then decay to not draw attention away from the central theme.

I use select Zildjians with my Paistes for live situations. Primarily I like the A Custom Projection crashes because they cut through well but have a nice clear sound.. That is great when you want different cymbals to support clear definition at various sound levels. The Paiste Signature full crashes cut through but the projections seem to do so slightly better with a little higher pitch and a little faster decay. Where as the larger fast Paistes like the 18" inch have a nice faster crash but a lower note which doesn't conflict with other instruments. They are also great for acoustic situations.

User Info Menu

I use a mixture of all brands EXCEPT for Sabian. Why? Because I found them dirt cheap on Craig's List. The funny thing is, my favorite brand of cymbals is Sabian and I don't own a single one. I'm hoping to upgrade to HHX Evolution cymbails sometime this summer and drump all this other junk.

To me, Sabian cymbals sound better than their equals from the other companies at all levels from beginner to pro. They're also priced more reasonably, which is a bonus.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I use Paiste and Saluda: It seems to my ears that Paistes are more clean toned. A more modern brighter sound, they just seem very different from whats out there.

I use Saluda because they are custom, affordable, have great customer service, and also of coarse they sound great.

User Info Menu

I use many brands, I'm not a brand wh0re so there it is;

Sabian: I use Sabian AAXplosion because when I heard the 14" I've bought used on eBay, I immediately fell in love with that complex shimmering burst with a very short sustain. I previously owned B8 which I still think aren't bad as beginner cymbal but wisdom now makes me recommend new or on tight budget drummers to go for used high-end cymbals instead of of brand new beginner's one.

Own: 14" - 15" - 16" - 18" AAXplosion / 16" - 18" B8

Zildjian: I use Zildjian because it's zildjian... Seriously, they offer good sounding cymbal and IMHO the Zildjian A series is one of, if not, the most versatile series from any brand.

Own: 10" ZBT splash / 18" A Crash / 24" A medium Ride

Istanbul Mehmet: These pies are true hand-hammered cymbals made in the purest turkish fashion. Each one offer an unique character and bring the listener into a total orgasmic tone ballad.

Own: 13" Traditional Funk Flat-Bottom with holes / 21" Custom Dry Ride

Wuhan: What can we say about the trashiest of the trashier. Their china are renown for their heavy, loud & trashy sound but also about quality issue and inconsistent sound. Hey for their cheap price and their 1 year no question ask warranty, they worth every pennies...

Own: 12" - 18" China

Paiste: Cant say much though I've heard Rude & 2002 series on my friend's kit, I think from what I hear, that Paiste has the most consistent sound & QC in the cymbal market. This is primary why I decided to give a shot on a used accent cymbal. I liked it at first hearing so when the moment will be right I'll expand further my Paiste accent cymbals collection.

Own: 8" Accent

Now, What do I win ??? !!!!
    Last edited by mind_drummer; 04-21-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Wrong size of one cymbal :0
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I prefer Sabian's and Wuhan's. They just sound better to me, especially Paragons. I have 2 Paragon 16"' crashes, the 22" ride, and the 13" hats. The AA series are also nice IMO. The Wuhan china's and splashes are good inexpensive cymbals that sound almost as good as the more expensive types of cymbals for the most part.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Sabian because I prefer most of their cymbals over anything else.
    Wuhan because it is THE China cymbal.

User Info Menu

I have a mixture as well.

Zildjian:
    A Custom Crashes - 16" Crash, and 18" Fast Crash - I love the A Custom crashes for there bright, shimmering sound. To me, that is the perfect crash sound. I love the Fast Crash for putting a crash sound right where I want it, and it doesn't linger too long.

10" A Custom Splash - Just got a 10" Splash on a whim, and I already know that it is a great Splash. It is nice and bright so it commands attention, but not overpoweringly so.

18" A Custom EFX - This cymbal sounded like a bit like a China cymbal to me, but was also more musical. The first time I heard it, I knew it was a special cymbal - bright, musical, and slightly trashy.

20" A Medium Ride - I got it used, and though it sounds great, it was too loud for my practice space. The bell is very cutting. It currently resides in a cymbal vault, waiting for just the right moment.

18" K Crash/Ride - I got this at the music store of my former teacher. It had been one of his personal cymbals. It's got a darker tone and a strong bell sound. When I include the Wuhan China in a song, this cymbal compliments it very well.

Sabian:
    14" Vault Hi-hats - My ears just don't like bright sounding hats, and the Vault hats are perfect for me. They give me a great "chick" and sizzle. Right now, that is what I am looking for. I'm not saying that I might not look for something different in the future, but for the things I will play, I think thses hats will do very nicely.

20" AAX Studio Ride - This is my current ride, and I couldn't be happier. It's perfect for my practice space, and it is the perfect blend of wash and ping. I learned to get just what I wanted from it, depending on where I ride it. The bell on this Ride is defined and loud, but doesn't overpower.

Wuhan:
    18" China - This one has a nice trashy, gongy sound with good sustain. I don't have a gong, but this can produce a similar effect.

12" Agazarian China (made by Wuhan) - I have used it as a Splash. It's sound is very bright, trashy, and cutting. Perfect in small doses.

12" Splash - This Splash is slightly trashy, a little darker than the A Custom Splash, and is quieter. My favorite way to play it is in combination with the 12" China.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

right now i have meinl because that is what came with my kit. they the hcs (bottom shelf) but being that i've only been playing for a couple months they are good enough right now. i've got 14" hats, 20" ride, 10" splash and 14", 16" and 18" crashes. as soon as i get good enough to justify spending a ton of cash for top end cymbals i will most likely go with paiste mainly because of their look and my favorite drummer uses them.

User Info Menu

zildjian there just a little more versatile

User Info Menu

Sabian. They just match the sound I was looking for. The AA/AAX lines are big, ballsy, and bright. Everything I needed.

User Info Menu

After a year of listening to different types and makes I have come to love and appreciate each cymbal for its sound. For me it was Sabians HHX series that put a sound in my ear that no other cymbal has ever come close too. I have recently found a 18' Zildjian K custom china that is amazing. Used for $150(tempting) F/T

User Info Menu

Bosphorus and Istanbul because every cymbal they make is a work of art to the eyes and the ears. Everything they make is 100% hand hammered the old fashion way, giving the cymbal tonal qualities and complexities that can't be achieved with a machine.

User Info Menu

I have a hodge podge...

14" Sabian Pro hats - They're a discontinued bridge model just above the b8 pro. They were $45 at a GC so I snagged them.

17" Sabian Pro Sonix crash - ProSonix is an "extension" of the Pro series. Sabian collaborated with Jonathan Mover in order to design ProSonix. So, they're sort of his "Signature" cymbals.

16" Paiste Sound Formula (round logo) thin crash - bought this one almost 20 years ago. It's very bright, and very fast.

20" Paiste Sound Formula (round logo) Reflector Full Ride - Another oldie from over 20 years ago. Bought it to replace my 404 series 20" crash/ride, which was my very first cymbal and I loved it.

10" Paiste Alpha Metal Splash - This is a cool splash. Had a weird musicality to it I haven't heard in other plashes.

16" Wuhan China - no comment required here. We all have one, we all know why.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I'll buy whatever sounds good. I'm not loyal to any brand. Lately, I have been buying mostly Bosphorus though.

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I'll buy whatever sounds good. I'm not loyal to any brand.
    +1, But so far, i've found that 9 times out of ten, Paiste Signatures are exactly what i'm looking for. They sound like the cymbals in my head (please make them stop...). I also like the fact that Paistes are more consistent in sound than other brands. I like that if i do break one (after i spend a month crying) i can get a good replacement.

they are too expensive though...
    Last edited by dave0549jv; 04-26-2010 at 01:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Paiste all the way baby. Love the signatures line.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

If we look the poll, here's the answer of why we call them "The Big 3"
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Its amazing to me that I'm still using my 16" medium crash since I bought them new when I was 15 yrs old. I'm also using my 14" hats, 18" thin crash, and 20" ride that I bought from a retiring drummer when I was 19 yrs old. They are all Zildjians and still sound great ! So, I'm sticking with the Zildjian brand ...

User Info Menu

Man, I shouldn't have eaten that.... it gave me GAS!!!

I just pulled the trigger on a Sabian 16" AAX-plosion crash at my favorite online dealer for a smokin' bargain price. Same kind folks I got my Gretsch from.

Then I can cash in on the rebate for the free 15" AAX-plosion crash and I'll have a beautiful set of cymbals for my Gretsch. Once I get them I'll put the Paiste's on flea bay and score the 21" AAX raw bell dry ride.

WooT!
    Last edited by CycleDude; 04-21-2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....