Thread: Suggested instructional materials

frquent flyer Guest

Default Suggested instructional materials

Please suggest some instructional books for study of congas. I have seen a write up on Tomas Cruz that looked pretty good. I am looking for something modern,clearly written ,and full of good instuction.Thank you!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suggested instructional materials

I have the Tomas Cruz conga method volumes 1 and 2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean modern, but I think it's a very good set. I'm completely satisfied with it. If you go through volume 1 diligently you'll get a good grasp on how to play the strokes correctly. There are tons of exercises that are great for helping you develop a good sound. I haven't finished volume 2 yet, but it's full of lots of rhythms and I'm enjoying learning them. They also both explain a lot about clave which I found that surprisingly some of the other books I looked at didn't. The DVD's are very helpful especially if your a visual learner like I am. Out of all the books and videos that I looked at prior to my purchase it is by far the best. If you want to read reviews on it Amazon has some that might also be helpful in making your decision. I've also heard some people recomend Michael Spiro's beginner book, but I can't vouch for it as I've never used it.