Thread: idiot drummer shocker

User Info Menu

Default idiot drummer shocker

our band had the unfortunate opportunity of supporting a slightly bigger local band last week. as usual we supply half the equipment and they supply half the equipment. we showed up at half 6 with a full drumkit and half stack. they showed up 2 hours later!! we had to wait till they had their stuff to begin soundchecking!
    also i'm sure ye are all familiar with the unwritten drummer rule that each drummer brings at the very least his/her own snare and cymbals....right?
    they're drummer showed up with two carbon drumsticks and when questioned said that he "couldn't be arsed because he was too lazy" and " i think i'll use your equipment instead"!!!
    as the gig went on he broke our poor drummers tama hi hat stand and cracked one of his hi-hats!! he wouldn't pay for these! let this be a word of warning that there are unprofessional ****(bad people) out there when it comes to gigs and we won't be lending our equipment to anyone ever again.
    {END RANT}
    Last edited by mexicancounciloffood; 03-11-2007 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool idiot drummer shocker

Hey, mcf, sounds like you provided 100 percent of the gear and they provided 100 percent of the grief...

I'm with you on this one, dude--the pros are ready for anything and they come with all the gear they need. The jerks aren't. Trouble is there are always gonna be professionals and there are always gonna be jerks...

and if someone breaks your gear and doesn't offer to repair or replace it, they're unprofessional ... put in your favorite deletable expression here ...

Fortunately, word gets around...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a somewhat similar story (again, from my days in that Metallica tribute band)......we had clubs in 7 states, and headlined all the shows, the club owners would have a local band in the opening slot....so, we get to the gig one night, at a club in Rhode Island, we set up, we're doing our sound check, and the opening band shows up (the vast majority of the clubs had huge stages, so I would set up on the drum riser, and the opening bands would set up in front of us, on the "floor" of the stage).....the drummer walks in with his snare drum and a couple of cymbals, and that's it....we get done with our sound check, and this guy (the opening band's drummer) comes up to me and says, "I brought my snare and a couple cymbals....I can move some of your stuff around, right?" To which i vehemently replied, "Say WHAT???" He says to me, "Well, I talked to the soundman a couple days ago, and he told me I could just use your kit." (my DWs, by the way) I said to the guy, "First of all, I don't even know the soundman.....secondly, (again, keeping this clean for DrumChat, lol)...he has no right whatsoever to tell anyone that they can use MY drums.....and thirdly, NO ONE plays my kit but me.....and I mean NO ONE!" So, he goes to the club owner, tells him the situation, thinking that the owner would tell me to let this guy use my kit, and the club owner pretty much told the guy the same thing I did, adding that "if he doesn't want anyone playing his kit, that's his business".......we ended up opening up for ourselves, as we knew a mess of other cover tunes, so we played other songs for about an hour, took a 20 minute break, then played the Metallica set the rest of the night!!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    .the drummer walks in with his snare drum and a couple of cymbals, and that's it....we get done with our sound check, and this guy (the opening band's drummer) comes up to me and says, "I brought my snare and a couple cymbals....
    Ah yes i can feel the pain....well we don't have very big stages where we come from and to minimize onstage clutter we just use one kit (unless its a big venue/big band) the bare minimum any drummer is expected to bring to a gig where i come from is his cymbals and snare.....unless there has been some serious/unfortunate incident where he can't bring em.

my friends were supporting Complan and Sick of It All one time and there was another local support band that showed up with just their guitars and drumsticks. but everyone got drunk and it all worked out in the end strangely...!

User Info Menu

Three words for you Mex, what a idiot. Can't say anything worse, since I'm a Christian, but geez. I'd sue him just on principle, thats why you have small claims court. I simply don't share anymore, unless I know and trust the other drummer.

User Info Menu

Just for the record, someone breaking someone else's equipment or belongings and NOT offering to pay for it, is justifiable homicide in my book.

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

BTG, thank you for bringing some sanity to this conversation. How drummers ever let themselves get into a situation where it's normal for other people to touch their gear is beyond me. I guess if you're opening for Rush and Neil wants to use your stuff it might be ok, but to let some local schmuck even breath the air in the vicinity of your kit should be totally out of the question. Why would anyone risk a multi-thousand dollar kit for a few hundred dollar pay check? Besides, don't most musicians consider their instrument an extention of their personality? It's like loaning out your first and last name to some stranger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Besides, don't most musicians consider their instrument an extention of their personality? It's like loaning out your first and last name to some stranger.
    I guess for practicality since a drum kit is quite large. the only other person allowed to go near my guitar is the other band members(even though i'm still a bit concerned about the drummer touching it )

Quote Originally Posted by someguyplayingdrum
    Three words for you Mex, what a idiot.
    is that aimed at me , my drummer or the guy that broke my drummers hi hats?

couldn't quite follow.

User Info Menu

oh wait i just got it....heheh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Why would anyone risk a multi-thousand dollar kit for a few hundred dollar pay check?
    It would be great if some of them were a few hundred dollars, a lot weren't.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

I've played a couple of big festivals where all the bands use a pre-miked house kit (but you bring your own cymbals and snare).

That makes practical sense (the last festival had 3 stages, on one stage there was a different band every 45 minutes) but isn't exactly the best for the drummers.