Thread: resonant heads for toms??

User Info Menu

Default resonant heads for toms??

id like to hear anyones opinions on resonant heads for there toms.. i just bought evans g2 clear for my 16" floor tom and couldnt decied what to get for a resonant head.. since there motly all the same price, i just went with another evans g2 clear.. is there a difference in resonance between 2 ply and 1 ply heads?

User Info Menu

Yes, there is a difference. A single ply head is going to resonate more than a 2 ply head due to the fact that a single ply vibrates faster than 2 plys can, therefor making the note last longer. I really don't like a lot of resonance in my drums, so I use Remo pinstripes on both the top and bottom. The pins deaden the reasonance a little on the bottom so the note does'nt carry as long. Hope that helps a little.

By the way, Welcome to Drum chat! There are a lot of great people here that are more than willing to share their expertise / experience with you. Hope you hang around for a while!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

thanks drumbum! i like this forum already... hey, do you know why i cant attatch a pic to a post? if i do, it deletes my post right away??

User Info Menu

You have to upload your pics to a photo-hosting site, like Photobucket, then link to the URL in your post by clicking on the "insert image" icon in the post box.....but you must leave the pics on the host site, or they will be deleted from here also. And yes, 2-ply resonant heads will dampen the drums much more than single-ply heads. Oh, and welcome to DrumChat!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Also, it could be because you don't have very many posts yet. We were getting some spammers that were posting pics and links and admin had to change the site so new members had to post a certain # of times before they could start threads, post pics, etc...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Also, it could be because you don't have very many posts yet. We were getting some spammers that were posting pics and links and admin had to change the site so new members had to post a certain # of times before they could start threads, post pics, etc...
    this might be my problem.. cus i hosted my pics at geocities

see if this works (just put it together lol)
    geocities.com
    /richwandell
    /pics
    /mykit.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deadforaminute
    id like to hear anyones opinions on resonant heads for there toms.. i just bought evans g2 clear for my 16" floor tom and couldnt decied what to get for a resonant head.. since there motly all the same price, i just went with another evans g2 clear.. is there a difference in resonance between 2 ply and 1 ply heads?
    the advantages that i see in buying the same head are that its easier to tune them to the same pitch and so forth. i use pinstrips on both as well and get a warm really deep tone that i'm satisfied with. i'm going to try out the g1's,ec2clear and coated, remo emperors and ambassadors so nough said. pretty much the same head on both sides achieve quicker tuning,better results
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deadforaminute
    this might be my problem.. cus i hosted my pics at geocities

see if this works (just put it together lol)
    geocities.com
    /richwandell
    /pics
    /mykit.jpg

Here you go....

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

pretty nice kit man, i have a DW ebony kit. what kind's yours? nice cymbals and pedals

User Info Menu

i didnt know you where new here, well anyways, have fun and such