Thread: Drum Solo?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Solo?

So I've got to take a pretty lengthy drum solo for Pep Band on Friday. Any quick tips? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Solo?

Relax , have fun, dont fall off the throne, dont try and do more than youre normally capable of, remember to relax, have fun.......

Did I mention to relax and have fun?You will do fine, we have complete faith in you.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

A lot of time, what holds drummers up is thinking that they have to play difficult fills but a drum solo can still sound unique and interesting with just a few simple beats placed here and there creatively. GF hit the nail on the head with relaxing and not playing more than what you know.

Another idea is to warm up real good before the performance. This always helps me. Get a practice pad out and go through some sticking exercises. This will limber you up real good and help your confidence.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A lot of time, what holds drummers up is thinking that they have to play difficult fills but a drum solo can still sound unique and interesting with just a few simple beats placed here and there creatively.
    Totally, totally true. Play what you know in public, play what you don't know in practice.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Play some quads with the kick and toms, and chuck in a few stick twirls (if you can't twirl your sticks then don't) then you've won the audience

Just remember, don't try to play anything you can't, and have fun!
    - Zack