Thread: Modifying kits

User Info Menu

Unhappy Modifying kits

I recently bought a second hand kit, but the previous owner had modified it, and part of that was he has sealed up all tom mounts and vents in all the shells, aside from the mount in the 12" rack tom. I new the guy, and he used skins with mic holes in them, whereas I don't. Should I open up vents in the shells before I start using it? And if yes, where would the best place to put the vents be?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Modifying kits

Quote Originally Posted by Ali073 View Post
    I recently bought a second hand kit, but the previous owner had modified it, and part of that was he has sealed up all tom mounts and vents in all the shells, aside from the mount in the 12" rack tom. I new the guy, and he used skins with mic holes in them, whereas I don't. Should I open up vents in the shells before I start using it? And if yes, where would the best place to put the vents be?
    They need vents to allow air to leave drum so heads resonate. I would just open up old vents and get new fitting for holes. All drum supply shops sell them. Hope this helps

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, but re old vents were filled with a wood/glue mixture, and I'm worried that it I do put them through, it will damage the surrounding shell.. Any thoughts?

Thanks

User Info Menu

drill from the outside in, put masking tape on both sides of the hole before you drill.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    drill from the outside in, put masking tape on both sides of the hole before you drill.
    Yes and make sure you've found center in the old hole, plus your drill is sharp, buy a new one if needed.

Let the drill cut through, don't force it through, thats where you get big splinters on the back side...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

agreed+1 with the comments listed above....but i wouldn't try to drill the existing hole. just drill a new one so its fresh and you dont have any problems

User Info Menu

use a forstner bit instead of a regular bit. a regular bit will cause tear out.