Thread: axis x pedal setup

User Info Menu

Default axis x pedal setup

ok, i got my axis x about 1 1/2 years ago, and ive been strugling with it this whole time trying to figure out the optimal distance from the head, spring tention, pedal height, beaters to use etc...

i broke the drive shaft twice and had to send it to axis to get it replaced, (but thats beside the point) and when i got it back this time i decided to give it one more shot before i sell it and buy the iron cobra... this time i think ive got the optimal settings

beaters - sonic hammer, about 1/2 inch out from main shaft
    pedal height is set low with my beaters closer to the drum head than usual, and my spring tention is a little bit tighter than half tention.. playing on it today ive noticed quite a difference in speed and controll from my previous setup

anyone else here have anything to offer on this pedals settings?

side note... i find it rather anoying having to figure out all this by myself.. i wish they would supply you with a optimal settings chart with setups for speed and setups for controll and midrange settings, also, i cant believe they make these pedals with such weak driveshafts and joints

User Info Menu

The reason they don't provide an "optimal settings chart" is because everyone has a different playing style. What some people set their pedals to to get good speed may be different to someone who wants more feel and control from their pedals. Much of drumming is personal preference and not standards.

Otherwise, good luck with finding the right settings.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

There's also variables that aren't dependent on actual equipment.

For example, what sort of room you're playing in:

I recorded over the weekend in a studio, and the room was REALLY good for sound, the bass drums sounded punchy and clear but still with plenty of low-end. When I warmed up, I swear I played faster double-bass than I have before, and I'm sure that the ease of listening (and feeling) the hits contributed significantly.

Whereas the day before I was auditioning bass players (for a different band) in a home-made jam room (converted garage) which has a really dead sound - bottom end sounds don't seem to carry much at all. I just couldn't get the double-bass working well in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    There's also variables that aren't dependent on actual equipment.

For example, what sort of room you're playing in:

I recorded over the weekend in a studio, and the room was REALLY good for sound, the bass drums sounded punchy and clear but still with plenty of low-end. When I warmed up, I swear I played faster double-bass than I have before, and I'm sure that the ease of listening (and feeling) the hits contributed significantly.

Whereas the day before I was auditioning bass players (for a different band) in a home-made jam room (converted garage) which has a really dead sound - bottom end sounds don't seem to carry much at all. I just couldn't get the double-bass working well in there.
    i hear that.. this is why i like to mic my bass drum durring practice.. the last band i played with was a metal band and needless to say they were very loud.. couldnt make out the double bass well enuf to keep it in time! micing the bass drum thru our pa, or into a mixer, then into headphones usually gives me plenty of monitoring volume