Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drummer Wannabe

User Info Menu

Default Drummer Wannabe

Hi Everyone. New to this site, and new to drumming.

I don't call myself a drummer, but a drummer wannabe.

I am a female that basically, up and decided to give drumming a try. I played guitar in school, but that was years ago.

I have basically taught myself some basic things. Used free drum lessons to learn some basics, and try and listen to music and copy.

I have two friends that are drummers. One is a girl also, but she plays the death metal stuff, and I have no interest in that. And she is easily frustrated with me because I ask about reading music and stuff.

The other plays in a rock band. Music that I enjoy. He is willing to help me, but I find him hard to follow. Basically, because he is just so damn good that he does not see things in terms of basic anymore. I can put on any song and play it for him and he can then play it. Even something he has never heard.

If I ask him HOW something goes, he plays it, but I can't keep up.

Anyway, I stumbled across this site, and plan to read and learn. And hope I can ask questions here and not be laughed at for being SO novice.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummer Wannabe

this site is awesome!!! welcome to the world of drumming!
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Glade to hear you picked up playing drums. I recently found this site myself and trust me you want to check it out every day cause there are alot of people with tons of knowledge. I took up drums a year and a half ago and i also have a friend who is a excellant drummer. What I would do was play in front of him and tell him to be honest and tell me what I need to work on. I would ( and still do ) take this constructive crticism and work on my faults until I had it licked. Trust me, you're gonna hit alot of walls but this is when you learn and get better. Don't get frustrated and just enjoy yourself.

User Info Menu

I just joined myself and a drummer newb. I would not worry about asking questions. Your at the right place. Welcome to DC

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys. Any encouragement appreciated.

What kind of music do you guys play?

How did you learn to play?

Can you read music? The friend I mentioned, can't. But he is really gifted, so I guess it does not matter to him. To me, it might help.

Any rock songs that are REALLY basic and easy to play?

User Info Menu

i play all kinds...im in a texas country/southern rock band....but have played harder stuff...i taught myself to play adn have played for just about ten years now...just kinda picked up the sticks and went at it...turned out good lol...i cant read music but its all good. i would like to learn though.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

I don't read music just play by feel. Don't know what you like to play but AC/DC is good to play just starting out. Another way to gain knowledge is yotube. I think of songs I like or have played to and type "playing drums" to whatever song it is and usually you will find it. You can hear who is playing it correctly and watch what their doing, trust me it helps alot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robert alderman View Post
    I don't read music just play by feel. Don't know what you like to play but AC/DC is good to play just starting out. Another way to gain knowledge is yotube. I think of songs I like or have played to and type "playing drums" to whatever song it is and usually you will find it. You can hear who is playing it correctly and watch what their doing, trust me it helps alot.
    this is good to do
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

Hey Chewgravel219! I have a soft spot for female drummers.....I married one lol. It's cool that you introduced yourself to the forum because we are here to help in anyway we can to make drumming and everything that comes with it fun and exciting.

Drummers are a unique group of folks. We are seldom appreciated at times when the spotlight is focused on the lead singer or a wailing guitar player but we are the backbone of the band and the bass player's best friend.

We are the ones who arrives first (at least in my band) and usually the last to leave. We as drummers haul the most gear but that gear allows the entire audience to look at us in awe as our arms and legs flail around the kit.

If you've ever been to a big concert and the band brings a song crashing down to just one solid drum beat and nothing else, the crowd goes nuts. Fists are pumped in the air and all you see is an ocean of arms rocking back and forth to your rhythmn.

I've never had that experience yet but I've been to so many shows and concerts that I can live that moment through the person behind the kit on that big giant stage and say with confidence...."I'm a drummer too...."

Welcome to DrumChat!

User Info Menu

well said 8!!!
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by little_a View Post
    well said 8!!!
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Every beginning drummer should play along to Back in Black, You Shook Me... or Who Made Who or most other AC/DC anthems. You can jam along with Phill Rudd and have a level of success within the straightforward simplicity of the drumming.

Then you can graduate up the ladder to play along with any number of jazz or prog rock greats as you build your chops.

But then, once your toolbox of tricks is spilling over, go back to Rudd and listen to the way the drumming fits the song. It is one of the more poignant lessons a drummer can experience.

Welcome and good luck!

User Info Menu

By the way, don't call yourself a wannabe. Call yourself a drummer and ROCK OUT GIRL!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat chewgravel!

It's always nice to see another female drummer, and you will find that we have great respect for our female drummers, just as we do for all drummers in here. I agree with robert alderman that you should drop "wannabe" and go with "I am a drummer." You may be a new drummer, but you are still a drummer.

Keep in mind that not every drummer can teach what they know. Teaching is a separate skill. Feel free to ask us any questions you have, and we'll do our best to help you.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

It's always nice to see another female drummer, and you will find that we have great respect for our female drummers, just as we do for all drummers in here. I agree with robert alderman that you should drop "wannabe" and go with "I am a drummer." You may be a new drummer, but you are still a drummer.

Keep in mind that not every drummer can teach what they know. Teaching is a separate skill. Feel free to ask us any questions you have, and we'll do our best to help you.

Again, welcome!

i know thats right PB!! i have tried to teach my buddies drumming...and i just seem to be bad at it...but i can teach how to do hair! haha
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

ChewGravel, welcome to Drum Chat! To answer your questions you asked --

What kind of music do you guys play? -- I play all sorts, jazz, funk, reggae, country, blues, rock, metal.

How did you learn to play? -- Well, I was fortunate. I have a very musical family, so naturally, we had a drum set. Before I took up drums, I tried playing guitar, harmonica, trumpet, and keyboards. When I gave drums a go, I just felt way more comfortable on it, and my parents decided to give me lessons. My first teacher wasn't a particularly good one, but he taught me the basics like rudiments, basic reading, and basic rock beats. Then I started playing along to basic rock songs. My next drum teacher taught me things like ways to hold the sticks properly, sight reading, introduced me to funk, sight reading, more rudiments and more sight reading. I was with him for about two years and then I decided to go to music school. My current drum teacher, he introduced me to jazz, and syncopation, and he is also making me sight read A LOT! Also at music school I was introduced to reggae drumming, and last year I was the in demand drummer, which can tire you out when you have to play like 10 songs a day for people's performance assessments!

Can you read music? The friend I mentioned, can't. But he is really gifted, so I guess it does not matter to him. To me, it might help. -- Yes. I can read music, both drum music and melodies. Drum music because over the past few years it has been forced into me (haha)! Also I'm at music school, so I have to be able to read & write music. It is a very valuable skill to have!

Any rock songs that are REALLY basic and easy to play -- The first song I ever learned to play was "Back in Black" by AC/DC. Check that one out.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

It's always nice to see another female drummer...
    Wait, Pastor Bob is a female drummer????

Oh the scandal...

User Info Menu

Hi Chewgravel219
    i play classic/rock in the band i'm in but at home i play anything and everything, Blues/swing/rock/pop, I have been playing for about 15 months, I've gone down to about an hour a night playing at home then rehersals 2 times a week for about 2 1/2 hours plus gigs, When i first started playing i was behind the kit for about 3 hours a night no messing, plus i was having 2 lessons a week, i had played guitar in my band but switch to drums after being let down by lots of drummers, i think that really helped my timing and rhythm, First time i picked up some sticks was at rehersal and just played, from that moment on i was a Drummer, For me if you play drums your a drummer, i guess when your in a band playing songs you really feel like one. Lessons are a must i would say, Maybe look at a proper teacher as they will know the best way for you to learn.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Wait, Pastor Bob is a female drummer????

Oh the scandal...
    The truth finally comes out!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hahaha!

welcome aboard chewgravel!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Another new female drummer here...I bit the bullet and bought a used kit in November and am working on learning everything I can. I took a few lessons but I was not getting what I wanted from the teacher for the money. I am trying to hunt down a new teacher. In the meantime I purchased Tommy Igoe's Groove essentials..just going to work through the book and DVD for now.

Nice to see other girls out there....as with my other hobby (motorcycles) there are far more men then women...but that suits me just fine

User Info Menu

Nice to meet another female beginner! See, we do exist...

User Info Menu

Welcome to dc! As i tell all new peeps to dc feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I like to post videos and new songs that my band does. They are called Fades Away. You can listen to us @ www.fadesaway.com if you'd like. I also have a video thread that i need to update very soon! HA! Hope you enjoy your stay and really take in the great experience the other drummers have here, they at all stages of their careers or hobbies and have limitless years of experience. By far the best drum forum out there.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

I like AC/DC, but not the real heavy stuff. Will listen and try and work on those.

The song I am trying to learn right now is Billy Squier's My Kind of Lover.

I just really like that, and know it should be pretty easy.

Drummer Chick. OMG! We have something else in common. I love motorcylces. My username originates from dirt bike racing. An off shoot of the typical "Eat My Dust". Have 2 bikes. One street and one enduro.

Back to the regularly scheduled drum chat

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC chewgravel! Feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. Great people here. As far as the Billy Squire song. Good song for beginners, it also is a good R&R solid back beat that should not take that long to get down. More songs to start with are Neil Young's Crazy Horse albums - # Comes a Time (1978) - "Look Out For My Love" and "Lotta Love"
    # Rust Never Sleeps (1979) - "Powderfinger," "Welfare Mothers," "Sedan Delivery," and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"
    # Live Rust (live, 1979). (CDs) or MP3