Thread: moeller and gladstone technique

User Info Menu

Question moeller and gladstone technique

i was just watching secret weapons for the modern drummer by jojo mayer, and although its a great dvd, i was really struggling with grasping the steps involved with the moeller and gladstone technique. can anyone give me a hand with executing the technique more efficiently? thanks for the help.
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Smile Re: moeller and gladstone technique

I'd love to help with this in any way I can!

Before I go ahead and launch though, is there any way you could be specific about which aspects you are most confused by, that way I can be as accurate as possible.

User Info Menu

Default Re: moeller and gladstone technique

moeller is more about the stokes rather than the grip

gladstone technique is using the fingers

User Info Menu

im having trouble understanding when to switch from using the full shoulder moeller to the small precise stuff. is there a certain speed that requires the switch? i would also appreciate some help with how exactly the technique is intented to be executed.
    BREAK THE RECORD!

User Info Menu

The way I learned Moeller was more of realizing and putting into practice a concept rather than learning exactly three strokes and hand positions. For me, Moeller is a way of thinking about your strokes and executing them. That way for me is multiple strikes per hit and, most importantly, the whipping motion. My doubles and triples suddenly kicked in once I started working on that.

User Info Menu

I think your reaction to the Moeller technique is typical. The technique itself is about getting multiple strokes from a fluid, single motion The exaggerated motion required when first learning Moeller is really nothing more then an aid to understanding what is going on with the stroke when the exaggerated motion is scaled back to a more standard form. With a drumline though the exaggerated motion is often used for the visual impact of everyone playing in unison. It looks cool and can be easily seen from the bleachers or sidewalk when marching in a parade.

User Info Menu

My teacher taught me the moeller by telling me to play fast triplets and accent them very loudly. Turned out that my right hand would naturally use moeller technique but my left hand took some work. I can use it now without the exaggerated movement though.

dave0549jv Guest

my teacher said i tend to use moeller technique naturally too. But since we havent really covered it yet, i still dont really know what it means... haha.

User Info Menu

Watch Dom Famularo. there's loads of free stuff from him here:- vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.html Part way down the page are Moeller Videos, but check it all out, It's Gold dust.

If you ever get a chance to attend one of his drum events you should go, anywhere any-time just go!

Moellar is great, Power with relaxation! My left hand backbeats in this are pretty much all what Dom would call half Moeller. (Or, I call half Moeller, I hope Dom would call it that as well, I learned it from him in a mastrclass then a private lesson.) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtd5NLtNO8"]YouTube- You Gotta Fight For The Right to Party[/ame]

But seriously check out the Famularo stuff.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 03-28-2010 at 02:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh, and re the video above, I noticed when playing the song tonight, I'm doing low Moeller. (1 arm/wrist movement, 2 beats,) with my right hand pretty much all the way through too. Thought it's most noticeable on the ride cymbal from 1.37 in the vid.

Also, for some reason, the vid is really jerky when I play back on this site, but better when I look on Youtube direct, so if it's jerky for you, double click on it to see the original.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

thanks guys for all the help!
    BREAK THE RECORD!

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtd5...ayer_embedded#

Oh, and Just noticed, At 49 seconds, that's me pushing my earplug back in, in a Gladstone kind of a way of course.

Andy