Thread: Book Recommendations

User Info Menu

Default Book Recommendations

Hey, I just ordered this book tonight on coordination called '4-Way Coordination Book By Marvin Dalgren and Elliot Fine'. I heard that was a pretty good book for getting your coordination down. I want to know what you guys recommend as far as drum books go. I mentioned that book I got to know if any of you guys have it, and if you do if it's good or not. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I've never heard of that one.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

i wanna get the tommy igoe book--i played some of the exercises out of that and they were easy enuff toteach myself but pushed me still--he covers all five of the major world drum rhythms, rock, jazz, um, cant remember the rest lol

but i would pick it up if i were u, i bet it would help immmensely--when my pockets fatter i plan to

User Info Menu

Rod Morganstien book and cd...very helpful

User Info Menu

when i first clicked on this i thought you were looking for advice on a good novel hahaha
    if you have a barnes and noble near you they have a section dedicated to music
    go spend about a half an hour or so digging through that section and im sure you will come up with something good

User Info Menu

Stick Control for the Snare Drummer

best book for snare rudiments ive had.

User Info Menu

For Coordination I use "Advanced techniques for the modern drummer" By Chapin. It is more Jazz oriented than some of the others mentioned though, although it is applicable to other styles also.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

ive seen that one and is also very good, i also recomend it although i dont have it myself

User Info Menu

Default Re: Book Recommendations

I just picked up a new Drum book from B&N called, Drums for Everyone: A Step-by-Step Guide to Equipment, Beats & Basics. It's written by Carmine Appice and published this year. Can't do a full review on the book yet, however here is what the chapters cover:

1) The Drums
    2) Equipement
    3) Types of Drum Sets
    4) Tuning & Heads
    5) Drumsticks
    6) Pedals
    7) Cymbals & Hi-Hats
    8) Drum Theory
    9) Practice
    10) Stick Handling
    11) Developing Your Hands
    12) Quarters, Eighths & Beyond
    13) Sixteenths & Eights
    14) Playing Eighth Note Triplets
    15) High Level Triplets
    16) Fun Rudiments
    17) Playing a Rock Goove
    18) Groovin'
    19) Songs
    20) Resource Directory

User Info Menu

I second the Jim Chapin book. It was the one that got me playing with decent independence, and also got my sight recognition of phrasing sorted as well.

Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments is very good for the rudiments, but also has some excellent reading exercises as well.

Dave Weckle's Play along books are very good for learning reading as well.

Also for Reading Ted Read's Syncopation book is brilliant as is Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Belson.

Realistic Rock by Carmine Appice was good when I read it, (30 Years ago,) and probably still is.

Anything by Dom Famularo, but particularly "it's Your Move," and he has a new one out on Bass pedal work that I'm sure will be brilliant too.

Stick control as mentioned above is great!

That should keep you going for a week or so, :-)

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 04-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

The Essence of Jazz Drumming by Jim Blackley . There are plenty of books out there that deal with coordination but few deal with phrasing , which this book does fantastically well ,imo . A must .

Syncopated Rolls for the Modern Drummer by Jim Blackley , again . On the lines of Ted Reed's Syncopation book but Jim's issue is better presented and goes into far greater detail ; gives the student many examples of how various figures can be applied.

Gary Chaffee's Time Functioning Book - a limitless amount of groove/time possibilities.

Gary Chaffee's Stickings book - a limitless amount of sticking , accent , etc possibilities.
    Last edited by stanhandler; 04-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.