Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi-hat sound

User Info Menu

Default hi-hat sound

I have a question. I have Sabian B8 hi-hats that I bought as a package when I bought my kit. The longer I play the more I realize I really don't care for the way they sound. I want a more crisp tighter sound ( hope that makes sense ). Is there anything I can do to get the sound I want or is it a case of it is what it is and I need to invest in a pair of upper end hi-hats. These cymbals were great when I first starting playing 18 months ago, but now I'm not to happy with any of them.

User Info Menu

Default Re: hi-hat sound

b-8 is low end, the only thing you can do is sell those and upgrade to something made from b-20 or better. you can probably find a good deal on some used ones or get a pair of Dream hi hats like i have, they're hand hammered and made from b-23 and the price is nice $130 for the pair, compared to something like zildjian mastersounds which go for about $400 new

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Vent your bottom hat.

User Info Menu

I was recently very displeased with a set of hats I bought cause they seemed to sound flat or dead. But when I put them on a different hat stand they got this nice chick sound and are crisp. The whole reason I bought them when I checked them out. Maybe they could use a cleaning where the cymbals contact. Or maybe your ear has just matured enough that you are ready to get a higher end cymbal collection going. Best of luck with your choices. F/T

User Info Menu

Northern redneck, When you say vent the bottom hat do you mean drill holes in it?

User Info Menu

Yep, I vented a set of B8 hats and it improved them dramatically. I just put a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the bell of my bottom cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quadcam79, I take for $130 you went with the Dream Bliss HH's?

User Info Menu

yep, i love my Dream cymbals. I'm eventually replacing all of my current, old junk cymbals with Dreams...ok and maybe a Wuhan china

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Northern Redneck, Just drilled a couple 1/2 holes in the bottom hat. Big difference, this will hold me over till I get the money for the hi-hats I want. Thanks for all the good advice.

User Info Menu

your welcome

User Info Menu

I had the B8s too. I wasent happy with thoes either .....they were ok but I just wanted more crisp like sound. I got a pair of Zidjian master sound ZHTs. Wow for the money they are excellent

just my 02.
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

Went up to Sam Ash today to check out hi-hats. This is gonna be a tuff decision cause I could'nt really find anything that was exactly what I'm looking for. Went on Zildijians site and love the sound of K series lite but they did'nt have a pair. Don't have the cash at the moment anyways so I'll just keep investigating so I know for sure when the time comes. I will say this, is there anyhting more fun then grabbing a pair of sticks and spending an hour hitting hi-hats and snares?

User Info Menu

I was using a set of B8 hats as well for about a year. Just the other day a happened upon a used set of Zildjian Platinum New Beats, which I discovered are actually very rare.

While at the music store I set them up next to a pair of K-Custom Hybrids and I liked the sound of the New Beats better....as well as the price tag.

They look like they've been through h*ll and back.....apparently the platinum finish never held up well and is probably why the few of these still in existence go for so cheap.

I'm loving the sound of them...and that is all that matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Or maybe your ear has just matured enough that you are ready to get a higher end cymbal collection going. Best of luck with your choices. F/T
    I agree with this one. When I was starting out I thought my 16 inch Paiste PST3(brass) crash was the best and I thought I would never replace them but over time I started to realize it doesn't sound so good and something is missing.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    I was using a set of B8 hats as well for about a year. Just the other day a happened upon a used set of Zildjian Platinum New Beats, which I discovered are actually very rare.

While at the music store I set them up next to a pair of K-Custom Hybrids and I liked the sound of the New Beats better....as well as the price tag.

They look like they've been through h*ll and back.....apparently the platinum finish never held up well and is probably why the few of these still in existence go for so cheap.

I'm loving the sound of them...and that is all that matters.
    hence the reason they look like they went through h*ll and back?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

The only thing really wrong with them is the platinum finish has chipped away in a very uneven fashion. They're probably a good 15 years old (Zildjian Platinums were manufactured in the '80s or '90s) so I can't complain too much about the finish. It's such a thin layer anyway, and underneath is a perfectly good piece of metal.

It was the sound I paid for......and as an extra bonus I landed a very rare vintage item with a long mysterious history behind them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yep, I vented a set of B8 hats and it improved them dramatically. I just put a couple of 1/2 inch holes in the bell of my bottom cymbal.
    Interesting do it yourself tip. I always thought the angling of the HH's would take care of this issue.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robert alderman View Post
    Northern redneck, When you say vent the bottom hat do you mean drill holes in it?
    well as redneck said..vent with holes...or..like what Zildjian did with Resos.. half moon notches around bottom cymbal at edge..ck it out on line to see what I am trying to discribe..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Went up to Sam Ash today to check out hi-hats. This is gonna be a tuff decision cause I could'nt really find anything that was exactly what I'm looking for. Went on Zildijians site and love the sound of K series lite but they did'nt have a pair. Don't have the cash at the moment anyways so I'll just keep investigating so I know for sure when the time comes. I will say this, is there anyhting more fun then grabbing a pair of sticks and spending an hour hitting hi-hats and snares?
    This is indeed the most important two items on my list, a good pair of hats and a good snare and of course throw in a good ride and you're set!

User Info Menu

I have a question. I have Sabian B8 hi-hats that I bought as a package when I bought my kit. The longer I play the more I realize I really don't care for the way they sound. I want a more crisp tighter sound ( hope that makes sense ). Is there anything I can do to get the sound I want or is it a case of it is what it is and I need to invest in a pair of upper end hi-hats. These cymbals were great when I first starting playing 18 months ago, but now I'm not to happy with any of them.
    I can only give advice from experience, but... I think I know the exact sound you want. Crisp, clean, with very little tone right? Very clear chick, with a tight "Ssshhhhhh" sound when half open?

Sabian XS20s. Bought a set used for 150 bucks, and I am ecstatic with their quality and sound. Only thing I will say is that they are oddly loud (might just be me). Try asking about them at your local music spot, see if you can try out a pair, I guarantee you and I like the same sound.
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

Hey Shanty, I really appreciate the advice. What you describe sounds exactly like the sound I want. Will be checking into these this Friday. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Hey Shanty, Just went on Sabians site and you can hear the Sabian XS20's. You were right. The only hats I found with the sound I wanted were the Zilijans K series lites. Problem is they go for $400 compared to the Sabians at $189. Thanks again, when I get some extra cash they'll be my next purchase.

dave0549jv Guest

Im sure you've read this already, but when you do upgrade, buying used can save you a TON of money. i picked up all of my signatures used on ebay, and i saved over 1000 bucks versus buying new. you'll get a lot more bang for your buck.

User Info Menu

I agree with Captain Crunch . If you're at a music store, and you can inspect the stuff yourself, always go used. For 2 reason actually:

1. It's cheaper
    2. The moment you get them, they'll already be at least SLIGHTLY worn in, giving them that little extra bit of crisp sound.
    Last edited by Shanty; 04-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

can you add rivets and holes to any high hats, what about AAX stage hats, would the sound be different?