Thread: difference in skin tones

frquent flyer Guest

Default difference in skin tones

For some reason I prefer the white skinned drum to the tan cowhides. What are the differences in these NATURAL skins.? Are the whites readily available;not that I 'm considering changing ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: difference in skin tones

I agree the old school thick white heads sounded great and if you listen to yesterdays music you can hear it but I think the industry is headed now days towards the more ringy sound. Just listen to Remo Skyn deeps, Nuskyns and Fyberskyns, it seems their trying to sound as close to water buffalo as they can. I was in California Percussion store banging on all the top notch congas from every brand. They had a complete set of Signature Heritage Series that had the thick white heads, I'm talking 3/16 thick and they were the only congas that had that old school sound out of all the Lp's, Gon Bops, Meinls Tocas ect.

http://www.tycoonpercussion.com/medi...e-Heritage.jpg

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if this is true but I was once told that the white heads was bleached steer and they stopped doing this process do to the harsh chemicals used and the chemicals them self have been ban do to stricter regulations but again I don't know if this is true.

User Info Menu

I just bought a new set of LP salsa congas with the 'handpicked' heads (I understand it to be waterbuffalo). Should I get the Remo skyns replacement, or other type of skin? I am an advanced beginner and want a good sound to keep me enthusiastic with congas.

msb501clave Guest

The rawhide Biz is a very difficult one to understand.

There where a few Mexican drum makers that used goat as it was readily available though not right for congas.
    The white skins you see are bleached. for sometime LP used Bleached water buff. from the local marked where their drums are produced. That stopped as people didn't like them...

A number of people special order from me the bleached steer for a drier sound but they are experienced in working with it as its a bit different from your traditional natural rawhide.

I like steer/cow OR Mule @ 2mm-2.2mm for all my congas i dont play bleached as they dont work as well for loud music settings.

At the end of the day it comes down to a few things if you can play you can play. Give some heavy cats the crappiest drums and they will make the drums work for them.... the drums are a tool and they are the ones who make that tool work....

I like having quality skins on the drums i work with but i also dont always play my own drums. I go to a gig and find im using something that i may not enjoy but i make sure i tune and have proper tech. the slaps/opens may have a different character but if executed correctly will still be enjoyed.

Let me know if any of you guys need skins i can get you set up and always run specials so email me ....

User Info Menu

Hey msb501clave, Your skins are great, your mules worked great on my Matadors and the cow is very sweet on my classic! Happy to have you aboard.
    L4C

frquent flyer Guest

What are the Hand Picked skins on LP congas made from? Mine are tan in color.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    What are the Hand Picked skins on LP congas made from? Mine are tan in color.
    Water buffalo, very good quality with even thickness and less flaws.

User Info Menu

wow...i just woke up and the brain wasnt fully at its funtioning capacity yet...and i read "difference in skin tones" and i was like wtf did someone put up a racist thread?????? lmao...ill take myself back to bed now...
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

frquent flyer Guest

I figured that would turn someones head;{laugh}

User Info Menu

For the macho on bongos I really prefer goat skin, The is a wonderful crisp pop that I can't seem to get with either cow or mule skin. But true, goat skin doesn't last and needs to be replaced often - but that is fun for me.

I have never tried horse skin but have heard good things about it, Gon Bop used it on their new series for a while. Where I live, skins from a big river catfish are prized for doumbek drums. I have also heard that the very best drum skins come from a big jungle rat.

User Info Menu

Just wondering- assuming practice 1 hour per day- how long do conga heads last? With the prices the way they are right now, does it make sense to buy a good set of heads for a replacement already?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    Just wondering- assuming practice 1 hour per day- how long do conga heads last? With the prices the way they are right now, does it make sense to buy a good set of heads for a replacement already?
    The heads will last you a life time if you de-tune your congas when their not in use and every now and then moisturize them, it will even help reduce the stress on the hardware and shell. I have seen congas from the 60's with the original heads in good condition do to someone along the way de-tuning them.
    L4C

msb501clave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    I have never tried horse skin but have heard good things about it, Gon Bop used it on their new series for a while. Where I live, skins from a big river catfish are prized for doumbek drums. I have also heard that the very best drum skins come from a big jungle rat.

Horse is really cool... nice sound. I have horse on a drum that i use a lot. There are a number of issues with horse hide that make it less than ideal for use on drums.

msb501clave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    Hey Mike
    Next human skin on a conga & bongos drum .LOL
    Could be the next "Big thing". I can just hear it now... Hey Mike can you get some of the real nice " Human " stuff. I hear it sounds better than Mule. me on the other end of the phone... oh you have bbeen playing for three months and you cant get a good slap on your drum that cost you $1000... Must be the skins then of course...