Thread: What makes a good Drum Cover for Youtube?

User Info Menu

Exclamation What makes a good Drum Cover for Youtube?

I just finished filming a drum cover, and uploaded it to Youtube, but I've never really watched any drum covers on youtube so I don't really know what to expect as far as feedback goes.

Are there going to be people who just hate on it and give it one star regardless? What makes a good drum cover? haha I'm sure this probably sounds stupid, but I really have no idea!

CHECK THE VIDEO OUT HERE

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKbHz2uuBg"]YouTube- Lucid Interval Drum Cover Cephalic Carnage[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: What makes a good Drum Cover for Youtube?

Awesome cover, dude! I'd be surprised if you got negative comments. The ones who get the hate comments are the ones who just aren't good, but think they are. The one thing that annoys me when I'm watching drum covers is if people don't include the actual song beneath their drum recording, but you've got that covered!

If you're concerned about it, you can always disable comments on your video. But great job with the cover, man!

BTW, I can't tell for sure, but do you have a clear snare head and coated tom heads?
    Last edited by yohin; 02-06-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Matt

User Info Menu

good video work, i liked the out of focus beginning and the side camera view. its a great cover, but there'll always be the guys that suck but say that they could do better. nice drumming too.
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

I can't really make an intelligent comment on the music. For one, it's not what I listen to. And #2, youtube doing that weird thing where it plays and stops.

But, I can comment on the view. When I am trying to learn a song, I NEED to be able to see the drums and hands at times. Your little side view thing is great!

User Info Menu

What people like for drum covers on Youtube I think is good sounding drums, multiple camera angles, drumming that's accurate to the song, and funny expressions.

Also, your drumming is awesome as! I'm with Yohin, I would be surprised if you got negative comments. But yeah, there are people who just rate it one star, over something as stupid as not liking the song.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

ok, not my style of music but I'll say this much. that was some really good playing on your part. Here is what i see though, serious lack of confidence, dont belittle your playing like you did in that video. there will always be others a that are better, thats just life.

just be aware that if you let everyone freely post comments to your video you're going to get everything from praise to people who just like to stir the pot and post negative comments, some are pretty vicious but you can set your channel to where you have to approve comments

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post

BTW, I can't tell for sure, but do you have a clear snare head and coated tom heads?
    Hell yeah! I like how punchy it makes the snare, and how dynamic it makes the toms sound

User Info Menu

In my opinion that is what I look for when i watch covers. But there will be the 'haters' out there. Some people just love to hate for whatever reason.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Also another thing, if you get the chance you should mic up those drums, I bet they would sound awesome

And, where's New Zealand on that world map?
    Last edited by xweasel; 02-06-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

It's tough to say. I really can't hear your drums over the song. It just looks like your playing along with the track. Good job though. It certainly looks like you have a good handle on things.

Youtube commenters are such haters. They hate everything. If you want acceptance from youtube I'd suggest doing a song that you can 100% play and where we can actually hear you playing it.

I think your doing a great job though, keep it up!

User Info Menu

You won't get haters here. You've come to the right place. We're all about helping each other, not tearing each other down.

Great job on the drums. I don't like the music either but I think you're well on the way. Stay positive and remember that being a good person is just as important as being a great drummer.

Welcome to our family!

User Info Menu

honeslty i dont this there is a specific "right drum cover" for youtube....post what you like playing and to the best of your abilities....stay in time....tune the drums...but lets face it....youtube is a haters playground...there are people on there who bash neil peart...NEIL PEART!!!! lmao...so you can always expect someone on there to say something....but if you play with confidence, it doesnt really matter what some jerk has to say. confindence in yourself and your instrument goes a long way.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Good video. It's not my kind of music but it's good playing!

Just ignore any haters- They are normally just people who have nothing better to do. If you're still nervous about comments, don't disable them- perhaps use the function where you can preview what comments you get, where you have to "approve" what comments you get.
    I'd be surprised if you did, anyway.

Last edited by therocker; 02-08-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: More details!
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

I've watched a LOT of covers on Youtube, and I can tell you you're going to get negative feedback sooner or later from some insecure guy who thinks he's better than everyone else. In terms of the actual videos, the things I look for are as follows:
    -MOST important is sound quality, I want to hear miked drums
    -In terms of effects, I don't want to see many special effects, but rather things to make it look nice like proper lighting and multiple camera angles.
    -Song choice is also important. Choose anything you want, obviously, but I notice that the covers people like most are songs that either a lot of people know (duh!), or that you wouldn't expect a drum cover of.
    -Above all (Alright THIS is most important) enjoy yourself while you play, if you're having fun that's going to translate over to everyone else. Great cover and keep it up!

TheKidd Guest

Im suprised you posted this. You know this was a good cover man. You did a great job of capturing their quality too. Anytime I try to film mine it has this lame thing that balances out the sounds so the song sounds distant. But yea, yours sounded great.

However, you need....NEED to change the camera angels.

Have the overhead one on the large screen and the front angle on the small screen. People want to see what you are hitting and not the front of your drums.

Oh, I can't crit on the song either cause you are playing what you like. Keep it up and don't let anyone tell you different.

User Info Menu

Excellent cover. Don't be ashamed of the parts you change though, that's what makes a cover good.

Nice taste by the way, I'm diggin the shirt

User Info Menu

Ya dude don't worry...people on Youtube are just stupid...most of the time they're just Jealous I wouldn't worry about it. If you enjoy drumming stick to it.

User Info Menu

half the people on youtube can't even form basic sentences in proper english- therefore their opinion is unwarranted. some of them just go onto every page they can find and diss people to be cool and get subscribed by other nitwits. unfortunately when you post something good that you do(like this cover) on youtube, some people will attack you and some will actually be supportive and have something good to say. however, if you post your cover here like you did, you'll get nothing but constructive criticism or compliments on your style and drumset. that said, great playing all around
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

do you have 4 cymbals on one stand?! i saw it move a little during the cover, but other than that, it holds up great! personally, didnt really like the song, but loved the drumming! do you have any other videos on youtube?
    Sabian-Remo-PDP

User Info Menu

A little too much black metal pig squeal/low scream for me, and that's coming from a Dillinger Escape Plan fan. But, the cover itself is really good! The drums sound great, and the technicality of your drumming is superb! I admire how good your jaaz triplets (RLLRLLRLL or LRRLRRLRR) are. Well done!

As for you, play is if the camera isn't there! Just don't even look at it really!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    A little too much black metal pig squeal/low scream for me, and that's coming from a Dillinger Escape Plan fan. But, the cover itself is really good! The drums sound great, and the technicality of your drumming is superb! I admire how good your jaaz triplets (RLLRLLRLL or LRRLRRLRR) are. Well done!

As for you, play is if the camera isn't there! Just don't even look at it really!
    I noticed this too but didn't want to say anything. You kinda stared at the camera the whole time.