Thread: Drum repair!

User Info Menu

Default Drum repair!

Okay, as of Grey College's exec meeting last night I'm now the college music rep. Which hands me the responsibility of looking after the maintenance of three pianos, some number of amps, and a few drumkits. Basically, having catalogued the three-ish kits we have, I've got the following:

One really nice Mapex M kit that doesn't really need much doing apart from some general fiddling and TLC.

The remnants of a Pearl Export and Forum kit (Export bass drum and rack toms, Forum floor tom) which needs...

A new reso head, lugs and connectors for the 14" tom - it's got the top half, but on the bottom it's just got nothing. I've got the hoop, but no head and no bolts to secure it. I can't remember what I meant by connectors but I'll try to take pictures to illustrate.

A new leg for the Forum floor tom (at the moment I can find two. The third may be buried somewhere or may just no longer exist)

An extra lug-thingie for the bass pedal (the winged screw that allows you to tighten the pedal's clamp onto the rim of the bass drum)

A new bolt for the telescoping bit on the hi-hat stand

And some miscellanea such as new felt washers for cymbal stands etc. That's not a worry though. The kit also has no snare. Or stand, although there's a spare I'll consider to be part of this kit.

Next up, there's a Tim (knockoff Stagg, I think) that's mostly intact, apart from there being nothing holding the joints of the tom mounts together - they usually have a fat spring inside, a bolt through, and a method of tightening. This isn't the case .

The snare is fairly shafted. One of the lugs has pulled itself out of the big connector, and the snare mechanism looks like it's been remade by Picasso.

Lastly, the bass drum needs a new rubber foot for one of the legs.

Now, most of this stuff is pretty minor, but some of it I have no idea how to source, such as the bolt for the hi-hat stand, or new lugs. Do any UK members have suggestions for procuring such things?

I'll try to update with pictures over the next few days as and when I get the chance.

Cheers!
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum repair!

Not in the UK but I will still wish you the best of luck on your task at hand! F/T

User Info Menu

Leprechaun, one of the things that I have learned is that contacting the customer service of the company that made whatever I'm dealing with can guide me to where I need to go. I have been guided to local retailers, and also online retailers to find needed parts for various items. My opinion would be to start there, because it might save a great deal of time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ebay.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Take your High hat stand to the local drum shop and search the parts bins. allot of hardware stuff is interchangable and you will probably find something that will work.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I reckon I can actually source at least a few bits cheaply from hardware stores - after all, it's just bolts I need for some things. The rest of it's a tad more drum-specific but the advice oughta help
    Mapex Mafia