Thread: Newbie with Yamaha DTExpress IV need training DVD

User Info Menu

Default Newbie with Yamaha DTExpress IV need training DVD

I went to a music store that had the roland td4s and dtexpress IV on the floor to Demo and I took the express based solely on sound. (price was similar)

Now that I have the equipment I would like YOUR opinion on a great training DVD to help get me started.

I like hip hop, r&b and dance and am eager to rub out my pads

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie with Yamaha DTExpress IV need training DVD

Welcome to the forum! I'm hoping to buy a DTXpress IV Special in the next week, if all goes according to plan. It's sitting in my shopping cart, waiting for me to click Submit!

Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer is great for fundamental stick control.
    Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials is great for learning the fundamentals of playing basic grooves. I suggest buying the Companion Book/CD for the music and MP3 files. (Get the original, not the 2.0 version which is more advanced.)

There also seem to be a handful of books, some quite "classic", that many people refer to, such as Stick Control, Syncopation, 4-Way Coordination. You'll of course need to read music.

And it goes without saying that paying for even a few months worth of lessons will get you off to a good start and help you avoid developing any bad habits.

There are other discussion forums dedicated to electronic drumming, including eDrumForum, vdrums, and dtxperience. You can google them for links as I'm not sure whether linking to them here is okay.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie with Yamaha DTExpress IV need training DVD

Thanks for the reply,

I think splurging the extra $400 for the "special" would have been worth it.
    However I am loving the sound and look forward to learning more.