Thread: Recording on a computer?

User Info Menu

Default Recording on a computer?

Is it possible to record an electronic set onto my Mac? What do I use the USB port on the brain or the MIDI port? I have a Roland TD-9 brain.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording on a computer?

You should be able to run your midi out from the TD-9 to a midi interface that plugs in to your computer. Or if the usb port act's as a midi interface you can use that. Not sure if the usb port will do that on that unit.
    But you can connect your midi out to a midi interface and record to a midi track and play the performance back to the midi in of your TD-9.
    Your maual should explain everything. Maybe I can take a look at a pdf manual of that unit.

User Info Menu

You only need MIDI if you intend to trigger VST ala Superior 2.0 or BFD or something along those lines.

If you want to record the actual audio from the kit, you'll need recording software of some kind. Reaper and Audacity are two freebies, I believe one (maybe both) are made in MAC versions.

Once you get the recording software, yes, you will need an interface. It's possible the onboard soundcard will work fine. Since this is a MAC, I have no idea. Assume for a minute the MAC soundcard will deal with this, then you will need some kind of adaptor or interface between your two 1/4" outs and the 1/8" input on the MAC. Be forewarned that you could end up with an impedance mismatch and a resulting obnoxious hum. Or not as the case maybe.

You could also get an external box of some kind, I use an M-Audio Firewire 410 box but that are plenty of others out there that would do as well.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

Yes you can record your drums as audio into your computer, but you will need a digital audio interface. If you record midi into your Computer you will need a midi interface. A lot of interfaces come with Digital audio converters and midi ports so you have both. Some do not.
    If you record midi you can edit your performance. If you hit the snare a little off on a beat, you can move the midi snare hit to correct it.
    What you play in will play out. You have more editing options via midi unless your recording each drum sound to a seperate audio track which you can't do with a stereo digital audio interface or the stereo outs of your drum brain.
    After you record your midi drum track you can also split each drum and cymbal to a seperate midi track for mixing and editing.