Thread: Question About My 'Acrylic's'......

User Info Menu

Default Question About My 'Acrylic's'......

I recently purchased a used but in excellent condition acrylic shellkit, here's my question:

I would like to eventually change the triple flanged hoops for 'diecast' hoops and i'm wondering if it could damge the shells in anyway knowing that acrylic shells can sometimes crack (maybe not at all for this reason), and also what causes them to ?

I have already set each tom up on a floating system and they are not attached to the bass drum.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have !!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question About My 'Acrylic's'......

You're right that acrylic shells are more prone to cracking, and something like a hoop change might initiate that. Die-cast hoops tend to be a little tighter, too, which might make them crack. I wouldn't worry TOO much about it but if you wanted to play it safe stick with the triple-flanged.

User Info Menu

I havent had experience with die cast hoops, but I would stick with the triple flanged. Its is my understanding that die cast allow a greater tuning range, but most people get triple flanged on toms because they dont need the wide tuning range as needed with say a snare. So to keep as much stress off the shell as possible I would keep the triple flanged as they are lighter.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guy's, mucho appriciate it !

User Info Menu

You can also try the S hoops and have the best of both worlds.