Thread: Can I get this sound on a 22" Gretsch bass drum?

User Info Menu

Default Can I get this sound on a 22" Gretsch bass drum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnex...&v=6-f5YyBt3bg

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. Right now I have a poorly tuned Evans EMAD. Any chance I can get this sound?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can I get this sound on a 22" Gretsch bass drum?

i dont see why not...

sounds like a coated ps3 with quite a bit of muffle , i could be wrong

User Info Menu

Jonzo, the problem with saying that you want a sound that you hear on a recording is that the drums are mic'ed and EQ'ed for the recording. Can you get that sound with a 22" Gretsch bass drum? Sure, as long as you mic it well, EQ it properly, and have the right room acoustics. If you really like a certain song, though, I would worry less about the overall "sound" and concern myself with learning to play the drum part as accurately as possible.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jonzo, the problem with saying that you want a sound that you hear on a recording is that the drums are mic'ed and EQ'ed for the recording. Can you get that sound with a 22" Gretsch bass drum? Sure, as long as you mic it well, EQ it properly, and have the right room acoustics. If you really like a certain song, though, I would worry less about the overall "sound" and concern myself with learning to play the drum part as accurately as possible.
    Hmm, I didn't even think of that. I used this song as an example because you can really hear the bass drum in the beginning. Also, I asked because I'm pretty sure Bill used two 26" X 14" bass drums, and mine is a 22" X 18". I guess I should have asked what kind of batter head to buy, and how to tune the drum.

User Info Menu

i'd check out remo ps3 or a aquarian sk2 tuned about medium to just above wrinkling point. of course mics come into play to an extent, but there is still the sound that YOU hear. mics or no mics there will always be the sound you are hearing which is the true sound of the drums. i guarantee without mics or recording, you will steal be able to hear a good sound on your drums and determine if you are getting bill's sound or something close to it. a recording setup can only change the translation of the drum sound for others, but because you can hear the kit up close you will continue to hear the base sound for your kit.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I need a PS3 to get this bass drum sound? Will an XBOX 360 work? (Insert fake laughter here.)

Anyways, should I buy a coated or clear? Also, how should I tune the resonant head?

I'd ask about getting a Bonham sound on my bass drum, but I'm pretty sure I need that 26" Ludwig with a coated emperor. Bill's drums sound a bit different on the NSD lp, and maybe it's more possible to get his sound on my Catalina Maples then it is to get that rough Bonham sound.