Thread: Maintaining My Drums

User Info Menu

Default Maintaining My Drums

Ok, so I got my Cat maples for Christmas, so I figure I'm all set for a while. They really are good looking drums, and I'd like to keep them that way for as long as I have the set. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them clean? Any polish I should occasionally use?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Maintaining My Drums

I cover mine with a blanket when not in use, It really cuts down on the intervals of cleaning. F/T

User Info Menu

I always keep mine covered when not playing them. I also keep a guitar rag (you know, those little rags that guitar players use to wipe the guitar neck) in my stick bag to touch up any rougue fingerprints that show up on the laquer. I think an eyeglass lens towel would offer the same gentleness in wiping nasty smudges off.

User Info Menu

guitar polish works great on drums,and you can get it at any music store .
    glad to see your enjoying your drums .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Hey nice set. Its just like keeping your car looking nice. Keep after it. I mean make it a once a week thing. Dont let the grime build up and then expect it to look nice with a quick wipe down. I use micro fiber cloths (they wont scratch the nice finish on those Gretsch drums) with a little moisture. Some times I use a little pledge polish.

Mike
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

I use micro-fiber cloths, too. I also use one of those Beato drum set covers (good to remember to keep them covered as much as possible, dust can be intense), but any suitably clean cover will do. See other threads/posts (lots) on cymbal cleaning, but if new, that is just a maintenance issue, as well.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)