Thread: How the heck do I read this transcription?

User Info Menu

Default How the heck do I read this transcription?

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ndingdream.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-3BLsP83Q"]YouTube- Travis Orbin - Cyclamen Session (Part One)[/ame]

That's the song but can someone point me in the right direction what note is what. Also the significance behind the no.s instead of regular dots and crosses.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How the heck do I read this transcription?

It follows standard notation(cymbals on top, bass on bottom, snare near the top, toms in the middle), but there are five space instead of four. I was able to follow along and it seems accurate. I have no idea what those numbers are on the notes, I would just ignore them and pretend they're 'dots.' It probably has something to do with the program it was written in. Good luck, that's not an easy piece to read or play. Good drumming though.

It's amazing to hear what those drums sound like with loads of EQing and then to hear what they actually sound like acoustically (i.e. at 1:30 in the vid).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    It follows standard notation(cymbals on top, bass on bottom, snare near the top, toms in the middle), but there are five space instead of four. I was able to follow along and it seems accurate. I have no idea what those numbers are on the notes, I would just ignore them and pretend they're 'dots.' It probably has something to do with the program it was written in. Good luck, that's not an easy piece to read or play. Good drumming though.

It's amazing to hear what those drums sound like with loads of EQing and then to hear what they actually sound like acoustically (i.e. at 1:30 in the vid).
    I agree, that was very interesting to hear the real drums without the mics as well. Travis Orbin is an amazing drummer and even that is an understatement.
    Thanks, I've never read drum tablature or notation of any kind and this song is too big of a bite for me to take the first time. I'm thinking I should just start with basic beats/fills and slowly work it from there.
    I started to play drums about 4 years ago but have only owned a set for about 8 months so there's a little bit about me.

User Info Menu

Yeah, this is very advanced reading and playing. Really the only thing going for a beginner trying to read this is that it's in 4/4. It's also nice that you can see how to play it and be able to read along.

I would suggest starting with something much, much simpler. Taking lessons would probably be the easiest way to learn. Learning how to read music can be very frustrating but a good teacher will keep you on track. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Whoever transcribed it used a program called Guitar Pro. It's primarily used to notate and play back guitar in tabs. Tabs are like a "poor man's" standard notation. Each of the six lines represents a string on the guitar, and a number on the line represents the fret. Guitar Pro can also program drum tracks, but in keeping with consistency, there's a big list of midi drum sounds and a list of what number refers to what sound. That way the program reads the same data as the guitar, and acts in the same way.

If you'll give me a minute, I'll load up the program (have to install it first) and make a screenshot of the drum chart.

EDIT: Bah, I can't install it on my work computer. I'll do it when I get home.

DoubleEDIT: Actually, when I get home I'll track down that chart, download it, and convert it into standard notation if that would be easier for you. I'm not sure why that wasn't done in the first place.
    Last edited by BakkuShan; 02-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeh that makes sense, Midi notes for the sounds...

listen to all FX in that mix and people wonder why their kit sounds nothing like the one on "XXXXX's" album. If you're going to go through all that why not just use an ekit?

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Okay, I can't find the file. Sorry. Anyway, here's the conversion chart, if that helps.
    Ignore the bottom part, with the notes on the staff. That's for writing a transcription.