Thread: Question about new skins

User Info Menu

Default Question about new skins

I plan on purchasing new skins soon. At the moment I have EC2's on my 10 and 12" toms and a hydraulic on my floor tom. They match well and I love the sound of my hydraulic floor tom. My question is this, I'm looking for a warmer sound and I heard the EC2 coated is exactly what I'm looking for. The thing is I want to keep the hydraulic on the floor. Will the coated and hydraulic match up well together or should I put hydraulics on all my toms.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about new skins

Robert,
    I am very new to the set up and tuning of drums. As a guitar player for many years, the drums are not strangers, but recently have devoted a lot of time on tuning and learning the sounds the drums produce. I may not be the guy to answer your question but I think I may be able to add some facts that I have learned along the way. I have found that almost all dampening you do to your drum head will promote attack. I have been playing the EC2 on my 14 and 16 and found it to be very thick and big BUT I have too much attack. In my opinion you way box the tone of the rack toms with those hydraulic heads. Just a thought. If you are looking for warmth, like me, then I recommend a coated head. Honestly, purchase a few different heads for one of your drums and see how it works. Finding your tone will require you to purchase different heads and play them. Plain and simple. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Animal, Thanks for in advice. Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

I'd go with hydraulics all the way around. Evans has three types of hydraulic heads, blue, clear and black hydraulic heads. I had the clear Evans Hydr/Evans G1 and they had a wet, fat, warm sound like the old '70s rock tunes I always love to listen to. The blue heads also have a great warm wet sound too.

Here's a pic of the Evans clear hydraulics I had on my '07 Pearl Export Custom maple kit. The heads held up well and this particular pic was taken when the heads were almost a year old.

When you stated that you wanted a warmer sound but you want to keep the hydraulic on the tom, I immediately thought about the mixing of a coated head with a clear hydraulic head and with a good tune I'm sure they would match close to tone but remember, clear heads have a sharper attack than a coated head. For me visually speaking, I like to have all of my head match in material construction as well as matching up.
    Last edited by late8; 02-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.

User Info Menu

i play the new ec2 coateds on my yamaha stage custom. they will work for you. great tunin range. i currently (in my four piece) have them lower and the GRRRRowl. but if i tune them up for jazz, they sing. id get them. or coated G2s . i play ec2s on the toms and a g2 or hazy 300 on the snare. all coated.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

i play the new ec2 coateds on my yamaha stage custom. they will work for you. great tunin range. i currently (in my four piece) have them lower and the GRRRRowl. but if i tune them up for jazz, they sing. id get them. or coated G2s . i play ec2s on the toms and a g2 over hazy 300 on the snare. all coated.l
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I appreciate the advice. I've been wanting to get coated G2's but I absolutely love my hydraulic floor tom. I've been playing for a year and a half so I'm still trying to figure out exactly what fits me. I've gone thru two sets of clear G2's and I muffle with moon gels but not on my hyd. floor. I can't wait to get my new skins, whether hyd. or coated to see how they sound. Thanks again for the advice guys.

User Info Menu

Too bad Evans don't make coated Hydros.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Try aquarian coated "super 2's....

Sorry personal plug....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF