Thread: Drum Trig or Mic for recording?

User Info Menu

Default Drum Trig or Mic for recording?

Hey guys!

Ok, so here i am, with a problem/decision to make... My band and i are finally getting into recording our songs and getting them out there....All of the otha guys are fine for recording their bits.. but my job is a little harder

I'm tossing between two ideas, one being that i Trigger my kit and run in though a module and into PC.. and the other is geting my kit all mic'd up and going from there... soo, here ar my thoughts>>

going with Triggers:

If i were to choose to record with trigs i'd need....

-11 triggers (piezo transducer)
    -Alesis D4 drum module... or of similar price (used 2nd hand)
    -various plugs/wires etc..

with a grand total of approx $400

going with Mics:

:note....there area in which i would be recording is very small and isnt the best for sound quality:(

-3x tom mics
    -snare mic (same as tom probably)
    -1 overhead
    total of 5 mics +cords and pa.....

in excess of $400...

yeah, im leaning toward the idea of Triggers, for simplicity and affordability....
    the only issue i have with trigs is that the style of music i play, metal, require very unique sounds... and i would be needing to trigger normal cymbals....( i have taken into consideration that there is a lot of vibration coming from these Cyms so im gunna mute them a fair bit) and another issue with cymbal triggers is that i require muting cymbals, via hand... in parts of the song.. and i dont know how achieveable this is...

soo, any ideas, thoughts, insites(or however you spell it) as two the ideas ahead of me??

thanks, all help is greatly appreciated.
    Tom.

BTW, i used to be #minds-eye# >> but now I've changed it..yea!
    URITHAIR

PDP BX FUSION BIRCH + ZIL/WHU/UFIP

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Trig or Mic for recording?

well, there is a third option, if a bit time consuming and tedious. mic up the kit and record as usual, then go back in the post production and replace all your hits with a corresponding professional sample. extreme close micing and gating would help greatly to pick apart individual drums and cymbals in the tracks. if you can wait a while, i can get you an example of what im talking about. i know an engineer doing this for a local band now. i guarantee, if done right, the drums will be the best sounding instrument on the demo.

- Mike

User Info Menu

WOW! i didnt even know that it was an option. okk, so record the peice....and then edit it. hmmm. soo if im right. how does the mic'ing have to be?? like one mic for each peice.. or can u do over heads....pluss, it would be harder to pick out and decipher each bit...unless they are all different layers/mic out puts...

hmm, worth investigating....thanks for your input!
    URITHAIR

PDP BX FUSION BIRCH + ZIL/WHU/UFIP

User Info Menu

triggers are nice for kick, but it didn't feel as natural till i started using mics. for tracking drums though a smaller room is ideal because you have much less acoustics fighting against you as in a bigger one. you could probably get away with a room mic placed between the middle of kit pointing down 45 degrees at first, and narrow in on each drum later on when you can afford to.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would suggest mics personally - with proper gating and compression, it will give you the best result. The "post-triggering" method described above is good too - but is very time consuming and requires a fair amount of skill. you could always mix it up - triggers on the kit and mics for cymbals - or better yet - hire an electronic kit for the day - problem sovled and full control of every aspect.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

You can get a 7 piece set of Samson drum mics for under three hundred bucks that work pretty well. I've had them for a couple of years, and they've been outstanding for the small amount they cost. It has a pair of pencil condenser, three tom mics and a snare mic with mounts, as well as a bass drum mic. I generally use the condensers for overheads and add in an SM57 or the like on the hi hat.

I've done the cut and paste thing with drum tracks before. Unless you have software that automates it quite a bit, it's really, really tedious. One bad thing is that you lose a lot of the dynamics if you're expressive with the snare and bass drums. I've had really good luck with the mix/paste function in Cool Edit Pro. It doesn't actually replace the hit that's there, but rather mixes it with your sample or "ideal" sound. That way you keep the character of the playing, yet add a certain degree of uniformity.

User Info Menu

You could also rent mics for pretty cheap.

User Info Menu

me personally i have my kicks triggered cause i like the clicky more defined sound for them. and the rest of the set miced for the natural sound of toms and snare. with 2 over heads for all the cymbals.