Thread: Tom Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Tom Tuning

Hi Folks!

So I recently purchased a couple sets of new heads (I have Vintage Emp and Evans G2).... both of which will be new to me after using EC2 over Ambassadors. I just found the EC2's to be a little too muffled and dead sounding.

I have started with the Vintage Emp's and since I was going to have to tune anyway I also tuned/tightened the reso Ambassadors (which I did not replace the reso's)... about 9 months old. To my surprise, they sound even more dead and don't sing like I heard them in the store on my exact kit. I'm wondering if tightening the reso head just a hair had this affect and if I should go with a looser or even new reso's. Instead of singing they just die out.

For what its worth, I have a Pearl Masters MCX (6ply all maple) w/ virgin kick. I used the assistance of a drum dial and I am in the neighborhood of 75-78 on batter and 80 on reso. I have used Bob Gatzens techniques and read all his stuff... I think for the most part I have them in tune but they don't resonate/sing quite long enough.... they dont sound very full. I want a little more sustain and tone from them. I know these heads sound good on my kit but I think I am off a bit in tuning.

Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Sopranos; 02-14-2010 at 12:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Tuning

Have you tried tuning both the top and bottom the same? I've never used a drum dial, so I'm not sure where you're at regarding the tension of the heads. I have a Pearl Prestige Session Select kit with 10,12,14,16 toms. I tune all but the 10" the same (batter & Reso). For the 10", I like to tune the Reso just slightly higher than the batter. Regardless, tuning both top and bottom the same should give you the fullest sound.

Good Luck!

User Info Menu

EC2's on top of die cast? That could be interesting, but the controlled effects of die cast rims combined with a controlled sounding head are going to give you a very focused sound. Probably not for everyone, but it has it's purposes. I have a drumdial, when tuning toms with it i use the reference guide that comes with it. It was a little trying to get it right at first, but I think i got to a spot im okay with at the moment. The guide will say to go up to a certain number, but i've found the drumdial leaves drums tuned a little high and if you're used to a lower tuning you should tune minus 2 to 4 of the values you see on it. The recommended tuning chart is also available on their website, so if you lose your sheet you can just print out another one. That said, toms should be the same if not relatively close in pitch, if one head strays too far from the other you will get conflicting overtones and that's never good. Try your best to keep them the same, and you will hear a harmony no matter what pitch they are both at.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-14-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very nice set ! I too am trying to improve my own tuning skill level and am studing the drum tuning bible ! It goes into evey aspect of tuning and the first I found is the room makes a HUGE difference I tuned my 3007 sonors at home and they sound very good !! Took them to practice at a Church and I was not happy.... at all ! I am working on an m birch mapex fusion set now I put ambassador coated batter and stock reso 1/2 moon gel on 12 " tom , 1 moon gel on 14" the toms sound good ( here anyway ) Check out the site and let me know what you think ! John

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!