Thread: solo preparation

User Info Menu

Default solo preparation

so i'm performing my solo this week, and i'm still having issues with playing in front of people. You can call it nerves or whatever. is there anything you guys do before a performance or a gig or something that helps you "get in the zone" or something? any advice would be awesome

User Info Menu

Default Re: solo preparation

I usually practice a ton before I perform, and I make sure I've got everything I need. Especially extra sticks! Good luck performing!
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

ha. I just drum the crap out of me and make up something. All I need to do is bang on something when I'm tense.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

There's really nothing that compares with experience when it comes to playing in front of people. I was extremely shy as a young lad but I got into the TV production business out of college and worked with many local and national celebs. and having worked within that pressure filled environment helped me deal with the pressures of performing before an audience. Even the pros get nervous before each performance but if you prepared right and practiced at your best ability, your confidence will shine through the performance.

I used to get nervous before a gig but I've learned each song to the best of my abilities and if I can keep that positive energy up for the entire gig..I'm home free.

User Info Menu

Dont look into the audience while playing if you are having some issues. Keep yourself focused on the band director or your lead this way you wont feel as nervous.

Let us know how you make out.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Dont look into the audience while playing if you are having some issues. Keep yourself focused on the band director or your lead this way you wont feel as nervous.

Let us know how you make out.
    And DON'T THINK!! Today, we had a HUGE performance, and one of the tenor players kept thinking about what she was doing and kept messing up, while I had everything down and played better when I didn't think.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! i wasn't very clear about it but it was a snare solo and i got a good score and moving on to state in a few months.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnare View Post
    Thanks guys! i wasn't very clear about it but it was a snare solo and i got a good score and moving on to state in a few months.
    Sweet. Congrats on the good score........let us know how you do when you move on to states.

( you have plenty of time to practice rudiments )
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey