Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum Dial settings

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Dial settings

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    crispycritters I use the Tama Tension Watch which is very similar to the Ddial and I calibrate it by placing it flat on a mirror or any other hard surface and then zero it by turning the outside face of the dial.
    Thanks buddy - just tried it on a mirror as you suggested - it reads zero so its obviously in calibration. Nice to know the thing isn't defective. You never know - the seller may post me the original instructions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Thanks buddy - just tried it on a mirror as you suggested - it reads zero so its obviously in calibration. Nice to know the thing isn't defective. You never know - the seller may post me the original instructions.
    The analog version should be calibrated often. Does yours have the locks for the dial face? Don't use the top knob to try and calibrate it. My analog one doesn't have the locks and the dial face can be moved pretty easily. I calibrate every time I use it.

I just picked up the digital unit used and it is vastly better, IMO. Comes with a nice case and a square of glass for calibration. However, it only needs to be calibrated once until you change the battery.

I find that the single play setting on the chart work better for double ply heads than the double ply settings. Either way, they are too high for rock, especially on the FT.

User Info Menu

Mine is the analogue version. I didn't know the face could be moved and was going to use the dial at the R/H side to adjust if needed. Glad you told me. I turned the face by hand - it doesn't have locks but does not turn easily, another thing I wasn't aware of. I'll have a search online - if there's a tuning chart posted I'm sure someone will have done the same thing with the instructions. Thanks for letting me know probably saved me from making an irritating and possibly expensive mistake.

Agree with you on the tom settings - I use the lowest listed for twin ply and I thought I was tuning towards the high range. I'll experiment with settings over the next few weeks. It was kind of gratifying to find I was close on toms and snare batter but I wasn't tightening the snare reso anywhere near as much as I thought. I haven't looked at the Bass Drum yet, I'll probably check/adjust tomorrow but I don't play on Sundays so I'll leave it till Monday before going any further

User Info Menu

Mine is the analogue version. I didn't know the face could be moved and was going to use the dial at the R/H side to adjust if needed. Glad you told me. I turned the face by hand - it doesn't have locks but does not turn easily, another thing I wasn't aware of. I'll have a search online - if there's a tuning chart posted I'm sure someone will have done the same thing with the instructions. Thanks for letting me know probably saved me from making an irritating and possibly expensive mistake.

Agree with you on the tom settings - I use the lowest listed for twin ply and I thought I was tuning towards the high range. I'll experiment with settings over the next few weeks. It was kind of gratifying to find I was close on toms and snare batter but I wasn't tightening the snare reso anywhere near as much as I thought. I haven't looked at the Bass Drum yet, I'll probably check/adjust tomorrow but I don't play on Sundays so I'll leave it till Monday before going any further
    Mine doesn't have a knob on the side. It's an old one though. I don't know what that's even for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Mine doesn't have a knob on the side. It's an old one though. I don't know what that's even for.
    Its kind of at the 1 o clock position. Could be that its been updated/modified over the years. I had a look at models for sale (new) on eBay - I think mine is the current analogue version.
    I'll locate the instructions online before fiddling with it - just in case.

User Info Menu

Its kind of at the 1 o clock position. Could be that its been updated/modified over the years. I had a look at models for sale (new) on eBay - I think mine is the current analogue version.
    I'll locate the instructions online before fiddling with it - just in case.
    Just had a look online - the 'knob on the side' is actually a bezel lock to stop the face from revolving. I actually looked at the Drumdial website instead of just typing in Drumdial tuning or Drumdial instructions - its all there plain as day - yes I do feel a bit dumb.

User Info Menu

Just had a look online - the 'knob on the side' is actually a bezel lock to stop the face from revolving. I actually looked at the Drumdial website instead of just typing in Drumdial tuning or Drumdial instructions - its all there plain as day - yes I do feel a bit dumb.
    Ok, so you've got it now. The dial rotates in order to calibrate the unit, which has to be done when on glass or something rock hard like granite. Rotate the dial until the needle is at "0" the set the lock. Note that when the needle is not depressed, there is no correlation between the needle and the dial numbers. It doesn't need to be a zero and most likely will not be.

User Info Menu

Go watch this vid on how to calibrate your Ddial
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=g953twZb8OE‎

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Go watch this vid on how to calibrate your Ddial
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=g953twZb8OE‎
    Got it - thanks, always helpful to read and watch.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Drum Dial settings

Got it - thanks, always helpful to read and watch.
    Glad I could help. Seeing it done on a vid is better than trying to figure out what the heck people are trying to say. Good luck have fun with your Ddial.

User Info Menu

Also, here's an old thread about a nice accessory that can help protect your DD. My digital DD came with a hard case, but my analog one did not, soooo....

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Also, here's an old thread about a nice accessory that can help protect your DD. My digital DD came with a hard case, but my analog one did not, soooo....

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13
    My penny-pinching mentality means I probably won't get one of these - I intend to keep it in the same box and packaging it was supplied in. If it can survive the journey from the manufacturers via the indifferent handling of some of our postal carriers it should be ok in the original packaging if I'm careful.
    Funny thing - I watch the pennies, get up at ridiculous hours in the morning to buy stuff on eBay when I believe there will be few bidders awake so I can get stuff for cheap - sometimes just to resell with a better photo and description at a more favourable time of day. I will scrimp like a miser but I still MUST have these expensive doodads. Penny-wise, Pound stupid that's me!

BackStreetDrums Guest

Drum Dial has about a 8 section tutorial on youtube...just go there for what info you need..each video is about 4minutes or less, very informative

Oops...Pearl Man already suggested.