Thread: Getting along without a teacher

User Info Menu

Default Getting along without a teacher

I've been drumming for roughly two months. I have a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Play Drums" and have been trying to progress my way through the book (I'm still doing stuff on the snare, I haven't gotten to using my full kit yet). My main problem is that I'm the kind of person who needs someone to show me what to do, not just tell me, because I'm weird like that. I cannot find a teacher where I live (it's a pretty small town), and it's pretty frustrating. Drums are by far the most difficult instrument I've ever learned (been playing guitar for ten years, bass for a few less). I've spent the last two months pretty much going through the snare exercises in my book and doing sloppy Mick Harris style blast-beats. That doesn't feel like much progress to me, and I'd like to maximize such things.

I guess what I'm asking is: How vital is it to have a teacher? Can I get along just by using books/the internet? How many people here are self-taught? If you were, how did you do it?

And if you have a teacher, how did you find them? Is there some special drum teachers' hideout I'm unaware of? I'd be willing to drive out to a bigger city/town, but I've been using Google like crazy and can't manage to find anyone.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    "The kid that eats too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."
    - George Carlin

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting along without a teacher

Because of your statement, "Drums are by far the most difficult instrument I've ever learned." I would have to say that a teacher for you is in fact vital. Drums were never hard for me and I still took drum lessons intermittently. A good teacher can really get you focused and will guide you appropriately.

User Info Menu

I basically have taught myself how to play the drums. What has helped me out alot though is yutube. I watch other drummers play and learn differant techniques. So many times I hear a song on the radio and I'm not real sure what a drummer is doing, I go onto yutube and can watch first hand. I've only been playing for a year and a half so my opinion is'nt much, but I'm happy with my progress. Very cool that you can play the bass and guitar.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat MA! I think I'm a lot like you in that I like to see things too. I am a very visual learner, and when I couple that with earing it, I learn much faster. My first drum teacher was trying to see if I could play a rhythm, and when I struggled with it, I got up from behind my kit and asked him to play it while I watched. Not long after, I got it down.

I found my first teacher at a local music store, and I was with him for 8 months before coming to the conclusion that he just wasn't the right fit for me. I started talking to the owner of another local music store (over time, we had become friends), and I encouraged him to consider drum lessons. He already offered lessons for other instruments, so it seemed like a natural. I had been out of lessons for 8 months when he took me aside and showed me the new drum room that he had set up. he had 2 new teachers to choose from, and I chose the woman. It turned out to be the best thing that I could have done. She has been the perfect teacher for me, and as a professional, I have had the opportunity to see her play on a number of occasions.

Find a good music store, and start asking about drum teachers. The guy that owns the store that I go to has been playing guitar and bass in bands for many years, and knows many good musicians. Hopefully, you'll find a connection that can hook you up.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome! I can see you're a Morbid Angel fan eh? I have two of their cd's pretty good stuff.

If you can't find a teacher try get some dvd's or watch videos at youtube I'm sure it beats reading!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I started out self taught and eventually started taking lessons, it's been great and I've progressed 1000x more than I would have by going at it alone.

I found my teacher by posting an ad on the local craigslist website. I actually had about 20 people contact me after I posted the ad, also try music stores. good luck

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat MA! I think I'm a lot like you in that I like to see things too. I am a very visual learner, and when I couple that with earing it, I learn much faster. My first drum teacher was trying to see if I could play a rhythm, and when I struggled with it, I got up from behind my kit and asked him to play it while I watched. Not long after, I got it down.

I found my first teacher at a local music store, and I was with him for 8 months before coming to the conclusion that he just wasn't the right fit for me. I started talking to the owner of another local music store (over time, we had become friends), and I encouraged him to consider drum lessons. He already offered lessons for other instruments, so it seemed like a natural. I had been out of lessons for 8 months when he took me aside and showed me the new drum room that he had set up. he had 2 new teachers to choose from, and I chose the woman. It turned out to be the best thing that I could have done. She has been the perfect teacher for me, and as a professional, I have had the opportunity to see her play on a number of occasions.

Find a good music store, and start asking about drum teachers. The guy that owns the store that I go to has been playing guitar and bass in bands for many years, and knows many good musicians. Hopefully, you'll find a connection that can hook you up.
    Our best music store is actually a pawn shop, but I'm going to head down there in a few days and ask around. I know pretty much everyone there, so I know none of them play drums but I'm hoping one of them will know someone who does and can teach them. Thank you for your help, it's nice to see that I'm not too strange with the way I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Welcome! I can see you're a Morbid Angel fan eh? I have two of their cd's pretty good stuff.

If you can't find a teacher try get some dvd's or watch videos at youtube I'm sure it beats reading!
    Which two albums do ya have? I've always loved Morbid Angel...though they sure take forever to put out an album. :P I was thinking about getting the Derek Roddy DVD, but I figured that was way too advanced for me at the moment. Any good beginner DVDs that ya know of?

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    I started out self taught and eventually started taking lessons, it's been great and I've progressed 1000x more than I would have by going at it alone.

I found my teacher by posting an ad on the local craigslist website. I actually had about 20 people contact me after I posted the ad, also try music stores. good luck
    I never thought of Craigslist. I'll definitely have to try that out, and possibly the local newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Welcome to DC, Morbid. Have you tried on-line drumming lessons? They all do all the rudiments, some fills, funky beats of most styles of music. They all show you how to at first then you can try at your own pace. Go slow at first, then speed it up till you master that lesson, then go to the next one. Some relatively easy songs to follow along to like some AC/DC, Stones, some Beatles are easy to follow along to and learn. I'm sure that an instructor is helpful, but I don't think it's desperately needed. Not with the wealth of info on the net, everything from how to hold your sticks, tune your drums, all 40 rudiments. If you get stuck on a song, there's always YouTube as was mentioned. Good luck!
    The only issue I have with drumming lessons online is that I have a 5 GB a month internet limit (I live way out in the boonies). Therefore, streaming a lot of videos is a no-go. If I can find websites that will actually let me download the content I'll be fine, as I can just use my boyfriend's computer to download it and stick the data on a flash drive. I'll check out those sites, hopefully I can get started doing something productive now. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their help, ya guys are a lot nicer than the average forum goers.
    "The kid that eats too many marbles doesn't grow up to have kids of his own."
    - George Carlin

User Info Menu

MA - I got Blessed are the Sick and Altars of Madness. good luck on finding a teacher! If you can't find one and i recommend Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

MA- Welcome to DC. Since you've been playing guitar for 10 years and bass guitar for a few, playing the drums shouldn't be that hard for you to pick up. I listened to records with headphones when I started playing the drums but that only got me so far.

I took lessons from three different drum teachers at three different music stores and that excellerated my skills in sight reading, rudiments, dynamics, but they never taught me on how to get along with people in a band. If you're the type that can get along with anybody, you got it half beat.

User Info Menu

I agree with getting a teacher when first starting out........you wont learn bad habits and there are certain things a book or DVD just cant tell ya.

Best of luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

You've already gotten all the advice I can think of when it comes to teachers.

I'm self-taught for what it's worth though - I found the most progress I made was simply playing - not rudiments or snare work but playing along to songs I wanted to be able to play. This was hard sometimes because I couldn't always do what I could hear, but I learned to find other ways to replicate it, or just push my abilities up so I could - am I as good as I would be if I had been taught - probably not - but do I consider myself a solid drummer - hell yeah. My main weakness is double bass work, but that's a combination of my own laziness and my pedal setup - more my own laziness. For some reason I don't seem to be able to push myself the way I used to - BUT your not me, so don't worry about my laziness.

Anyways - there's nothing wrong with being self taught either - especially if you don't have many options. The key will be the "right" books and DVD's etc... not just any old crap. Find DVD's from drummers you admire and respect and have the knowledge you seek...for me it's JoJo Mayer's Secret Weapons of the Modern Drummer and Thomas Lang's Creative Coordination and Advanced Foot Technique - now I just gotta watch 'em and put 'em into my practice routine...the only thing in my way is myself...and to be honest, I'm a bit of a pushover when it comes down to it.

When your self taught though - that's all it really comes down to - yourself and how bad you want it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

MA, personally i would say lessons are a must, i played guitar too then switched to drums, i didn't find it too difficult, i was having 2 lessons a week from 2 different teachers and i'd nowhere be at the level i am if i went it alone, i had lessons for about 8 months then had to stop due to band practice and gigs, when i first started i'd be playing for hours and hours a night, i'm at about an hour a night at home plus band practice and gigs, onlinedrummer has a video section that i think you can download with loads of songs and different beats on there.

All the best Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I second the vote for Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials 1.0 and 2.0...

Both come as packages containing a DVD in which Tommy shows you exactly what you'll be playing, first w/out music and then with music. Also included is a poster containing all the grooves written out (good if you can read music). It doesn't end there....also comes with a book containing all the grooves and useful information about each groove...and finally a CD containing every song Tommy uses in the DVD featured in full length version w/out drums so you can play along.

I started drumming about a year ago (and bought these) and between the two Groove Essentials packages I have barely scratched the surface. Granted I have very little time to practice between work and family, but when I do get a chance I am constantly challenged by each new groove I learn. I believe there is enough variety and material to get a great big step into the world of drumming.

User Info Menu

MA, your situation doesn't sound much different to mine - background playing guitar/bass, only been playing a couple of months, no teacher, limited internet access etc....

I feel like I'm progressing a lot quicker than I should be but a teacher is something I have been looking for already. In the meantime, I would suggest (and it's only my humble opinion) practicing rudiments is a good start - with hands AND feet (it will get you a clean double kick technique down the line). I read everything I can online but would probably suggest using valid sources - many mentioned above and manufacturers have a lot of lessons and stuff - Vic Firth and those sorts.

The only other thing I can suggest to get you progressing quicker (as probably everybody on here will tell you) is to take it slowly - whack on the metronome slow to start and gradually work up to quicker tempos. I would bet that your sloppy blast beats will clean up in no time - just work on the technique slowly and try to keep the same technique as you speed up.

Oh, and if you don't use up all of your internet allowance in a month, just spend the last few days watching as many videos as you can before the meter resets!!

And have fun.
    "Playing guitar, that's all great and everything, but hitting stuff - awesooooooooooooome". Chad Smith.